The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSR London??
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear

SSR London??

Hey guys,

Just wondering has anybody been to ssr london to study the Audio Post Production for Film and TV course?

Audio Post Production for Film and TV London

If you have or you know of someone who has studied there could you please tell me if it would be worth the money etc. Also, if you know of any other good audio post-pro courses in the uk could you let me know?

Thanks.
Old 3rd March 2011
Gear Head

I've not studied on any of the courses but know one of the tutors at the Manchester site. The college started there and the courses and facilities are amazing. Better than any British uni I've seen. I can't speak fully for the London site but the tutors all continue to work in the industry whilst they are teaching there and really know their stuff. They also get students a wealth of job experience.

I'd recommend it highly. I'm going to be taking my PT qualifications there. Best place for it in Manchester so London will be just as good.
Old 16th March 2011
Here for the gear

Claude Debussy - heh hehe nice man edited his music for White Noise! (offtopic!) More on-topic - sadly London is swamped with amazing sound engineers (from the past several decades) all looking for work freelance or otherwise as our industry has changed and devolved - don't be put off - if you love it do it, just get a little sad at SAE et al churning out dreams of expected work when the queue is mighty long and very well filled - IMHO get out there and run, make tea, make friends and get IN somewhere - they will teach you real world skills, client skills and you'll meet people. IMHO sometimes needing to be "re-programmed" can sometimes be a hindrance after getting your "certificate" You'll find your prospective employers in sound to be very nice, relaxed and not so by-the-book than you think. Get down the Crown and Two in Soho - more jobs offered in there than you'll find on t'internet! Purely based on my struggles in London over the past 15 years and probably wrong lol
Old 16th March 2011
Lives for gear

Been to the one in manchester before. The two students using us for their project there were pretty unhappy with it, the cost, amount of time you get using the facilities etc. The two receptionists were past students. Good in one way, sad in another. On the plus side the facilities were pretty good and I'd assume that the tutors know their stuff.

At the end of the day there are a LOT of these schools now and very few jobs. The money is to be made in teaching, hence why they exist. So if you need the skills and are confident of being able to fight for the jobs on your own, go for it!

My advice would be to stick to courses where you get a well regarded qualification too - eg degree courses. I have studied / taught at / visited a lot of these places so feel free to msg me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search