The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Inception music too loud Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict

hear hear.

for laughs, people should read this and then read this thread again.

Not that I'm defending anyone's perception of the mix of Inception or even where music vs dialogue should live in general. Its just fun evaluate people's arguments based on the lengths they go to in order to justify them.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear
I'm starting to wonder if that fact that Zimmer's underscores are becoming much more prevalent in the mix has anything to do with his profile increasing drastically in the general public in the last 10 years? To the general layperson its unusual to know who the composer is in the film I would have thought except for the super famous (unless its maybe a former rock turned composer star ala Danny Elfmann (well not exactly rock), Nick Cave or Johnny Greenwood)

I find it ironic that the general public would know the film composer yet nobody will generally know who the editor or cinematographer is - who no doubt have a more immediate impact on a film then a composer does. That isn't to belittle the sound elements of a film at all but surely you must agree that those two positions are under appreciated in the eyes of the general public.

Maybe that composer focus mainly comes from trilogy etc movies where musical themes are repeated ala Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Pirates of the ... or maybe its just DVD bonus features

Anyway, thats just a little thought I had this morning

Last edited by bensaddiction; 4th January 2011 at 03:41 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensaddiction View Post
I'm starting to wonder if that fact that Zimmer's underscores are becoming much more prevalent in the mix has anything to do with his profile increasing drastically in the general public in the last 10 years? To the general layperson its unusual to know who the composer is in the film I would have thought except for the super famous (unless its maybe a former rock turned composer star ala Danny Elfmann (well not exactly rock), Nick Cave or Johnny Greenwood)

I find it ironic that the general public would know the film composer yet nobody will generally know who the editor or cinematographer is - who no doubt have a more immediate impact on a film then a composer does. That isn't to belittle the sound elements of a film at all but surely you must agree that those two positions are under appreciated in the eyes of the general public.

Maybe that composer focus mainly comes from trilogy etc movies where musical themes are repeated ala Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Pirates of the ... or maybe its just DVD bonus features

Anyway, thats just a little thought I had this morning
I think more people also can and do listen to score music. Having that other form of exposure is simply not possible in those other arts.
Old 8th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensaddiction View Post
I find it ironic that the general public would know the film composer yet nobody will generally know who the editor or cinematographer is - who no doubt have a more immediate impact on a film then a composer does.
That is debatable. I do recognize the skill involved with the picture side of things but for most, it is too how do you say imbedded and hidden for most people to pick out. AS a composer, when I analyze a score, I notice these things and take notes regarding the camera angles, the use of music, pretty much everything going on at the time but most people are oblivious. I do not think it is ironic, I think music just comes across much more directly and obvious than what an editor does which is just as important. People really like music and I think it is much less mysterious to most compared to the work of a cinematographer or an editor. Even mixing engineers , to most laymen, that is rather esoteric and hard to understand but music is quite easy to digest and people are used to it and expect it.

I think people don't really notice most composers and only the few guys like Zimmer are ever mentioned which is a shame although I do really like Zimmer's direction in the last 5 years as he seems to have accepted his lack of skill regarding the traditional wagnerian approach and focuses much more on what he does best. I really enjoyed inception and I actually thought the score was great which is something I don't say too often with Zimmer's work. I think his score to the simpsons was an all time low but since then , he seems to be going the right direction. There alot are of guys that do great work that are not really recognized in the public realm. I honestly don't think they care and prefer it that way.
Old 9th January 2011
Gear Head

So I just watched Inception on both Blu-ray and DVD in 5.1 and I at first I thought the dialog seemed a little low in volume, but then I realized that I was listening at a lower volume...

...so obviously I turned it up and I didn't have any problem hearing the dialog and nothing really overpowered anything else.

I thought the movie was AWESOME!
Totally worth the $30 for blu-ray, dvd, AND digital download!
Old 9th January 2011
Gear Nut

Watching it for the first time today and damn right off bat the intro scene with the water was extremely loud. We literally had to turn it down. Everyone looked at me like why is it so loud is it suppose to be like that. I'm like no but I did hear the music was over powering. I'll add more thoughts later.

Nicole

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search