The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Favorite Sample Player for Sound FX? DAW Software
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Favorite Sample Player for Sound FX?

Just wondering what sample player aps people are using for performing sound FX sequences. Of particular interest to me is performing sound fx sequences using midi drum pads. For instance, in a situation where you wanted to add a burst of different sounding riccos in one or two takes, or perhaps cheat some footsteps for a shot that was added after the foley was shot. I would want to trigger a different ricco or footstep with each pad.

I primarily work in Pro Tools, so I imagine Structure is an option, but I was wondering whether using rewire with other aps like Ableton Live are worthwhile looking into. I like Camel Alchemy, but I haven't been able to figure out how to play back more than 4 samples at a time, and I'm interested in working with 12 or more samples so that I can have more variety at available at my fingertips.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

I use Structure and Kontakt for that kind of stuff. The Multisample capability is great for adding dynamics to sounds, by merely striking the pad harder, you get a different sample.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I use the free shortcircuit:

vemberaudio.se - shortcircuit

very simple and fast, most important supports drag and drop in Cubendo!. Super fast to edit footsteps sets for different MIDI keys
Otherwise build in sampler in Nuendo 5 should work, time for me to update to ver 5!!
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

battery works well for midi drum pad stuff. I used to think that would be a cool way to work but the set up time is huge and I find I do better cutting things in at this point. Now if you are on some project that will last for 5 years then by all means if it shaves a couple days off editorial go for it.
Old 28th December 2010
ruy
Gear Maniac

Structure has the advantage of drag and drop in protools.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Guru

this is a cool app I use- it allows for export to Structure and Kontakt....

Keymap Pro
Old 28th December 2010
I've used Kontakt for several years but recently switched to Battery for this due to the round robin capabilities, helps keep things confined to a small set of keys or to a drum pad (I use the M Audio Trigger Finger). Here's a great video demo if you haven't seen it:

Video Tutorial: Using Battery for Sound Design

John.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles maynes View Post
this is a cool app I use- it allows for export to Structure and Kontakt....

Keymap Pro
I haven't weighed through all the info on the website, but it looks very interesting.

Do you use this as a stand alone ap to create the samples that you will use in Structure and Kontact?
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggegan View Post
I haven't weighed through all the info on the website, but it looks very interesting.

Do you use this as a stand alone ap to create the samples that you will use in Structure and Kontact?
generally yes- I will build Kontakt instruments from it- (Structure has sort of lost its charm for me...)- or I will just run it as a standalone and pipe it into PT via the 192 AES ports.... (I convert the optical out on the mac to AES)

it is really cool stuff- it is complicated, but I have found it worth the effort-
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

Favorite Sample Player for Sound FX?

Mach5 v2.

Excellent sampler and it has tons of fun options inside. Key mapping and layering is also very easy once you get your mind in it.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles maynes View Post
generally yes- I will build Kontakt instruments from it- (Structure has sort of lost its charm for me...)- or I will just run it as a standalone and pipe it into PT via the 192 AES ports.... (I convert the optical out on the mac to AES)

it is really cool stuff- it is complicated, but I have found it worth the effort-
What exactly is it about Structure that doesn't cut it for you? The thing that appeals to me is that it seems like you can grab audio directly from PT regions in the edit window and drop it into the sampler, which would really be convenient for sound FX work.

I know Kontakt is extremely popular, but I have heard that it used to be problematic when used with Pro Tools. Has that been sorted out with the lastest releases? What makes you prefer it over other samplers?

I'm not really interested in using the sampler for music, just sound FX and design. Nothing against sampled instruments, I just like playing acoustic instruments and don't really need a sampler for the kinds of music I write and play.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Just thought I'd bump this to talk about Fairlight's next offering - the CMI30-A.

I've been told to think Series III as far as what the screen will look like. It'll run stand-alone or as part of a full blown DAW on the CC-1 platform.

I know this is not really an option for you Gary but it's going to be awesome.

They might be showing at NAMM.

Fairlight Instruments - The next generation
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Hi Gary,

I'm using Kontakt 4.1.1 with PT 8.0.1 exactly for that sort of thing (specifically footsteps) and it's been pretty rock solid - mind you, I use it in a "Foley" session which really only has that, and some record tracks for the outputs and whatever prop stuff I do, so the session isn't that heavy.
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggegan View Post
What exactly is it about Structure that doesn't cut it for you? The thing that appeals to me is that it seems like you can grab audio directly from PT regions in the edit window and drop it into the sampler, which would really be convenient for sound FX work.

I know Kontakt is extremely popular, but I have heard that it used to be problematic when used with Pro Tools. Has that been sorted out with the lastest releases? What makes you prefer it over other samplers?

I'm not really interested in using the sampler for music, just sound FX and design. Nothing against sampled instruments, I just like playing acoustic instruments and don't really need a sampler for the kinds of music I write and play.

a short form answer- its instabilty.... Sometimes I have huge problems with its responsiveness, which is generally not a problem with Kontakt- that being said- I love the drag and drop ability it has, but its limitations in programming harken back to SampleCell for me- doing something like scaling tuning, where you could take a wind recording a map it over a 5 octave range, with maybe one octave of pitch change- is stupidly difficult. If you are doing one shot samples, or 12 tone western tunings are easy- but anything remotely unusual is a pain in the butt for Structure....
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathand View Post
Just thought I'd bump this to talk about Fairlight's next offering - the CMI30-A.

I've been told to think Series III as far as what the screen will look like. It'll run stand-alone or as part of a full blown DAW on the CC-1 platform.

I know this is not really an option for you Gary but it's going to be awesome.

They might be showing at NAMM.

Fairlight Instruments - The next generation

the Fairlight weems like it will be very nice.... 17k is a lot though- you could get a separate Kyma system and mac for less money, and do WAY more with it as far as sound design....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search