The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Affordable control surface Control Surfaces
Old 27th December 2010
  #1
Gear Nut
 

Affordable control surface

I'm looking to get a <$800 control surface to use for mixing in Pro Tools. I'd like to have motorized faders so I can check automation but I guess its not necessary. I'd like pan pots, mute, solo, and basic transport controls as well as some sort of display to indicate what track I'm on. So far the only thing that even SEEMS like it could do that is the BCF2000. Anything else out there? I'd like just a little bit more indication of what track I'm looking at and/or maybe some level indicators but it seems like you go from the extremely cheap end of <$200 to >$1000 if you want the same features.
Old 27th December 2010
  #2
Gear Nut
 
misscc803's Avatar
 

I'm in the same boat as you. Searching these forums will give you an array of different controllers you can utilize. I have decided to go with the Mackie Control Universal Pro with the Extenders being that most stores don't have the Behringer NEW in stock(at least the store(s) I order from).

Tascam US-2400
Behringer BCF2000
Mackie Control Universal

The above can be bought used/second hand for a great price.


Nicole
Old 27th December 2010
  #3
Gear Nut
 

Yeah, your post points out the problem, there's nothing in that 200-1,000 range! All I want is a few more LEDs/displays! But oh well.

Also, GA represent!
Old 27th December 2010
  #4
Gear Addict
 
Hxd Ped's Avatar
I use the BCF2000 for Pro Tools. It's....useable.

I use it for basic automation. I find doing anything more with it is kind of a pain. The faders are motorized, but not touch sesitive. Make sure if you get one to check the firmware version. Not all firmware versions support the emulation modes.

Personaly, I wish I had a fancier option for under $1000 on PC.
Old 27th December 2010
  #5
Lives for gear
Still waiting for the SP on this one.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...-any-good.html

ns
Old 27th December 2010
  #6
Gear Nut
 
dkerins's Avatar
 

I got my MC-MIX for $900 from FullCompass. I love it!
Old 27th December 2010
  #7
Lives for gear
 
BradLyons's Avatar
 

SJohns,

Check your PM---I have a large Euphonix MC Aritst rig I'm selling off that's in perfect condition, barely touched. I'm in Atlanta so not far from you.
Old 27th December 2010
  #8
Lives for gear
 
stilts27's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjohns37 View Post
I'm looking to get a <$800 control surface to use for mixing in Pro Tools. I'd like to have motorized faders so I can check automation but I guess its not necessary. I'd like pan pots, mute, solo, and basic transport controls as well as some sort of display to indicate what track I'm on. So far the only thing that even SEEMS like it could do that is the BCF2000. Anything else out there? I'd like just a little bit more indication of what track I'm looking at and/or maybe some level indicators but it seems like you go from the extremely cheap end of <$200 to >$1000 if you want the same features.
Anyone check this out:

MasterControl from audioMIDI.com

I would bypass the audio interface but it looks interesting
Old 28th December 2010
  #9
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilts27 View Post
Anyone check this out:

MasterControl from audioMIDI.com

I would bypass the audio interface but it looks interesting
I hadn't seen that before, thanks! It looks great. Maybe still a bit on the expensive end but pretty reasonable. I'd just need to get my firewire port working...
Old 28th December 2010
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Matti's Avatar
Icon Qcon MIDI Controller | DV247
http://www.icon-global.com/ShowPro.aspx?ID=101
This is so new that I don't know anyone having one to share any experiences

Matti
Old 29th December 2010
  #11
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti View Post
Icon Qcon MIDI Controller | DV247
ICON-Global-Qcon
This is so new that I don't know anyone having one to share any experiences

Matti
Looks cool but does it have the HUI protocol that Pro Tools requires?
Old 29th December 2010
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Matti's Avatar
Ah, seems to be Mackie Control only?

Matti
Old 29th December 2010
  #13
Lives for gear
 
stilts27's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjohns37 View Post
I hadn't seen that before, thanks! It looks great. Maybe still a bit on the expensive end but pretty reasonable. I'd just need to get my firewire port working...
No problem, it was actually my first time seeing it as well. I've been looking for a controller solution too and this may be it or version one of the MC Control which I've seen used for decent prices, but I think to myself--might as well save a little more and get V2...lol...but I am looking real hard at the Alesis (wish it was without the audio card as it would bring the price down a lot)...I had the tascam 2400 and sold it for dirt cheap compared to these outrages prices I see now...it was just too bulky for me at the time...

Whats going on with your firewire port?
Old 30th December 2010
  #14
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilts27 View Post
No problem, it was actually my first time seeing it as well. I've been looking for a controller solution too and this may be it or version one of the MC Control which I've seen used for decent prices, but I think to myself--might as well save a little more and get V2...lol...but I am looking real hard at the Alesis (wish it was without the audio card as it would bring the price down a lot)...I had the tascam 2400 and sold it for dirt cheap compared to these outrages prices I see now...it was just too bulky for me at the time...

Whats going on with your firewire port?
Its on the front of my case and bent all to hell. Never worked. Too bad I bought a POS motherboard with no PCI slots so I can't just drop one in that way :/
Old 8th April 2011
  #15
Gear Head
 

Hello !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti View Post
Ah, seems to be Mackie Control only?

Matti
Compatible with Cubase/Nuendo, Samplitude, Live, Logic Pro. Soon to come (in a firmware update) is the control for Pro Tools with HUI compatibility.

Cheers.
Jérôme (http://www.espace-cubase.org ... with a long review of the iCON QCon, actually !)
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
tobiaswalters / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
1
5thString / Low End Theory
8
finetunemx / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
sasha222 / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
3

Forum Jump
Forum Jump