The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need to Create Voice of Demon Pitch & Harmony Plugins
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

Need to Create Voice of Demon

Yes, I need to take a young girl's voice and make it sound like that of a scary demon. I'm on a Mac platform and using Final Cut, etc. We tried pitch shifts, doubling/off-set, reverb, etc and I'm not too happy with the results. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any plug-ins?

Thanks.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

reverse your reverbs and pitch are some simple classic other worldly voice stuff.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

yea the classic cartoony one sounds like a semi-tone pitch difference. my favourite is the sound of the Bunny from Donnie Darko. Formant changes in something like Melodyne can work really well.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

The secret to success is having great material to begin with, as opposed to what effects to use later.

For example, take cooking. One of the best restaraunts around where I live is called French Laundry. The waiting list is months long, and diner will cost at least $300 each, not including wine. The chicken is unbeliveable, and do you know what exotic seasoning they used?

Salt.

It's amazing because the chicken itself is so ordinary chicken...it's fed and raised properly; not with economy of scale in mind but in the aim of raising the best chicken in the world.

So that's how to treat your character voices. Try listening to The Exorcist for some vocal performances. If the effects you tried weren't making it for you (and the ones you mentioned are pretty standard) then you should examine the quality of the raw product.

Once you get a great performance, the effects should make themselves obvious. That's my 2 cents!
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

ADR someone else saying the same lines and mix it with the original. Have them do it in an "evil" voice.

Copy the audio to a new track, separate each word from each other and reverse each word individually (instead of reversing a whole line at a time).

Reverse the line, print reverb to it, then reverse it back. Do this to a copy, of course.

Chorus and phasing effects.

Combine some of these together.

Play with the levels of each effect, automate fading between them. Just make sure you keep a copy of the original and you can understand it when you're done. When I mess with a voice severely like that, I have someone come in and listen to make sure someone who is hearing the line for the first time can understand it.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

try using the "instant sound design" button - Final Cut, etc. has that, right?
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

This probably won't work, but is fun to play with!

Solid State Logic | Music

A freebie they gave away one halloween. Only useful knobs for what you're looking for would be 'Wailing" and "Ghoul". Ghoul just being a pitch shifter, and wailing being formant I guess?

Again....fun to play with! I use "Howling" to get a wind effect for tracks sometimes.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Split it into two tracks, and filter it so the highs are in one track and lows are in the other... Pitch shift them different, and speed up the highs, sending them more to a strange reverb.

Edit - also automate the pan on the highs, or use an autopan plugin...
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn_jr View Post
This probably won't work, but is fun to play with!

Solid State Logic | Music

A freebie they gave away one halloween. Only useful knobs for what you're looking for would be 'Wailing" and "Ghoul". Ghoul just being a pitch shifter, and wailing being formant I guess?

Again....fun to play with! I use "Howling" to get a wind effect for tracks sometimes.
Yes, the free halloween plugin can actually be pretty useful sometimes
Old 27th December 2010
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stout View Post

Thanx for the link! Lots of very interesting videos there!
Old 29th December 2010
TLR
Gear Head

Or you can just phone up Roseanne Barr
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoxyMusic View Post
The secret to success is having great material to begin with, as opposed to what effects to use later.Try listening to The Exorcist for some vocal performances.
Excellent. One of my all-time favourite film sound experiences. (The Exorcist)

Yep, have someone else with a distinctive voice loop the lines and don't be afraid to ditch the original actor's lines totally if it 'works'. You can change formant, etc. but you may still want to have a little bit of the 'girl' in there just for texture/identification. It is easy to go TOO FAR with the effect; it still needs to be understandable. I've seen a few things theatrically that I've said "huh? what did they say?" Cool effect but... lost on me.

How much material is there?

My two cents is try to get another actor/voice talent to loop over those lines needed. Like stated, starting with the right ingredients and materials is always key.

You can do a lot with voice and pitch change before even getting into 'crazy effects' and manipulation. But you might want to hit up a friend with more of a dedicated audio editor software to aid you in your Final Cut and then take the materials back and 'mix them in'.

Good luck and (insert demon voice plugin) "Have funnnn!"

Jeff
p.s. (who personally tends to favour a deep growly low voice as well as a high-formant/pitch alteration for the 'multiple people in here' effect--there's nothing as creepy as having a child's high voice mixed with an off-pitch version and a low growly evil voice. When doing stuff like that in adult actors, I always put in some high pitched version--just creepier to MY ears)
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search