The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Compensate speed of sound ? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Compensate speed of sound ?

Now the ADR discussion going on, how accurate do you feel the sync should be to be "real" to the brain.
Speed of sound etc

Matti
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti View Post
Now the ADR discussion going on, how accurate do you feel the sync should be to be "real" to the brain.
Speed of sound etc

Matti
It should top production as closely as possible. Sometimes you have to cheat a little, but in general, the production track is the ultimate standard, assuming it was synced up properly.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Maniac

As a sound guy who is extremely aware of sync, inaccurate sync is a dead giveaway of adr or an alternate take. It is more than matching lip positions, though, because if muscle movements and facial tension does not match what I hear, I am suddenly aware of it.

Normal people, my parents for example, seem oblivious to almost everything.

Speed of sound, IDK. Do you mean like in a long shot, where the sound latency in real life to the camera position might be a couple of frames? Tight lip sync feels right to me, but eq plays an important role.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

I feel confused how to handle long and wide shots to be real, although this more like an academic issue than other. You cannot change the sync seeing
from the surrounding shots unless for an effect...

Matti
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I have the same feeling most of the time. The perspective just feels wrong. Audiences forgive that, but it still can feel uncomfortable. Sync is not the answer, it is sound quality. Small room mixing makes this even harder. You can't do much with volume, I mean what's the point if you have to struggle to understand what people are saying, but for me EQ makes a BIG difference. Roll away lows and highs just like would happen in real life if real life was quiet enough to hear the dialog at such a distance. Also, a hint of verb or DDL reflection, or your favorite IR or whatever, helps tremendously. Less is more, and strong ambience helps me a lot while I'm mixing. Sometimes I can pull the ambience back during the next pass when my personal attachement has been broken with time. But, I fear I am saying basics that you already know, perhaps I don't understand your question well?
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Good morning, I had couple of beers yesterday

Matti
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search