The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
LA or NYC Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 19th December 2010
  #1
Gear Head
 

LA or NYC

Hey guys, so I'm in a little debacle, Im trying to decide where to move to LA or NYC to get into this industry. I live on Long Island right now so NYC is not far away but I'm trying to decide which is the best option for me to have a career in it. I lived in LA for a couple of years from 06-08 went to an audio engineering school out there.. moved back home cause the funds were low.. havent done any audio work related for awhile.. was a sound editor for about a year and a half and now i want to get back into it plus video editing.
So now I'm trying to decide if it makes sense to go back to LA or go to NYC which I would love to live as well. Im 27 now and making this choice will prob make or break what I want to do.. hopefully it doesn't but it could cause i'm not getting any younger. if anyone has any advice that would be great. Plus how does one even get a job in this business, I know the economy is so messed up and obviously makes it harder but like to get an internship in NYC is crazy,not to mention I don't really want to do free work anymore., nobody wants interns plus even the very freelance work out there everyone wants someone with a crazy amount of experience.. so if anyone has any advice how to get started it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 19th December 2010
  #2
Gear Addict
 

LA or NYC

Based on your current location I am tempted to tell you to stay on the east coast. As far as how do you, "get in". It isn't easy. Here in Hollywood, you do have to start by doing a lot of cheap work (free or near free). I had years of experience in the music side of things before switching to film work and even that didn't promise any ease in transition. It has taken me seven years to have acquired any type of stability, expect at least that amount of time for yourself.

There are jobs to be had here, but they are few and far between and most of the time when a position opens up it will be filled before 95% of your colleagues had even heard about it. Be in the know, meet people and be seen. There is nothing more destructive in this business than a disappearing act. ... Well there are a few things worse.

Words of wisdom: no matter where you go or what you are doing in this field, be kind, be patient and be creative. Communication is key.

Good luck and post again if there's anything we can help you with, or you can help us with!
Old 19th December 2010
  #3
I'm actually looking for a 2 interns right now. (i'm in NYC) got some projects and ramping up. If that is what you're interested in send me a private message with a number and i'll give you a call. It would be sound on location and post sound for broadcast and film projects. Remember it's an unpaid internship program but you will get credits and training.

cheers
geo
Old 20th December 2010
  #4
Lives for gear
 

It really depends on what you want to do. New York is generally more expensive to live and work in than L.A. and because of that, they they also are able to do more with less. Rents in New York for commercial property are some of the highest in the country, so that does affect how they staff.
Where Los Angeles might use 3 dubbing mixers for a major theatrical release, New York often makes do with 1 or 2. That's not necessarily a bad thing, and the mixers tend to be very good because of it, but positions might open up less often because of it.

In Television, gaming and advertising, the workflow and staffing are more similar.

If you can find an internship in NYC, you'll be asked to do a lot, but you'll probably learn a lot quickly, where in L.A. it might be a bit more relaxed. I don't think it will be easy anywhere in this economy, so weigh the pros and cons on the lifestyle you prefer living, the contacts you have and how willing you are to do the tough work.
Old 20th December 2010
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Where do you know anyone? Sorry for the obvious answer, but personal relationships trump every other factor about getting work in this biz. Which city do you LIKE being in? Feel at home in? (And are they the only two?) Barring knowing some folks already in the biz in some city who might take your calls and help you out, where do you WANT to be? Establishing yourself will take time anywhere, so it might as well be someplace you want to stay.

phil p
Old 20th December 2010
  #6
Lives for gear
 
JSt0rm's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post
I'm actually looking for a 2 interns right now. (i'm in NYC) got some projects and ramping up. If that is what you're interested in send me a private message with a number and i'll give you a call. It would be sound on location and post sound for broadcast and film projects. Remember it's an unpaid internship program but you will get credits and training.

cheers
geo
Sounds like opportunity has knocked on your door dude. I wouldn't let this pass me by.
Old 20th December 2010
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Jesse Peterson's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm View Post
Sounds like opportunity has knocked on your door dude. I wouldn't let this pass me by.
seriously
Old 20th December 2010
  #8
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm View Post
Sounds like opportunity has knocked on your door dude. I wouldn't let this pass me by.
Good luck!
Old 21st December 2010
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm View Post
Sounds like opportunity has knocked on your door dude. I wouldn't let this pass me by.
Not bad for one pull on the slot machine arm!

"Luck is when preparation meets opportunity."

Go for it!
Old 21st December 2010
  #10
Gear Addict
 
mastermix's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post
I'm actually looking for a 2 interns right now. (i'm in NYC) got some projects and ramping up. If that is what you're interested in send me a private message with a number and i'll give you a call. It would be sound on location and post sound for broadcast and film projects. Remember it's an unpaid internship program but you will get credits and training.

cheers
geo
Man, if I didn't have a full-time paying audio gig I'd be all over this. Let me add to the "get in there dude!" chorus...
Old 23rd December 2010
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Jfriah's Avatar
 

Hahahah, I DO have a paying gig and I'm still thinking about it! hhahahahaha

Get in there QUICK!
Old 23rd December 2010
  #12
Gear Addict
 
mastermix's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfriah View Post
Hahahah, I DO have a paying gig and I'm still thinking about it! hhahahahaha

Get in there QUICK!
Not saying the thought didn't cross my mind! heh

BTW Happy Holidays Slutz!!!
Old 24th December 2010
  #13
LOL... thanks guys...

cheers
geo
Old 24th December 2010
  #14
Here for the gear
 

Uuh, keep me in mind! I just need to save some more money or living in NY is going to be hard (posted from my hometown in germany)
Old 24th December 2010
  #15
Gear Maniac
 

I spent about 2 years in LA after finishing my masters doing orchestration work. It was hell. The workload was one thing but I just hated everything about the city. It was great experience and thank god I was busy. I'm from Montreal and the change was just too extreme. The city is a block of concrete. I've never been somewhere where everyone pretends to be somebody important. You go into Starbucks, you will see 3 douches on laptops looking around making sure everyone knows they are working on scripts. Everyone is an actor, everyone name drops and as a lowly humble orchestrator that doesn't really lie well unless the lie is so out of this world that i'm imagining some other person and writing a story in my head, well I want to say i'm a composer but I wasn't and I felt like I was the only person that was struggling working 14 hours a day. I did alot of eye rolling. For a while I just said I was an accountant so I would avoid the lame ill researched shop talk. My work mates were great and I enjoyed the experience and I will probably go back when I have more compositional credits.

I also felt that everyone talked in this sort of way that was at first sincere sounding but then eventually you realize that they are somehow trying to get something from you or find out if you can do something for them.

In NY, I am doing more production / composition related work and I feel much more at home. People are cold but at least they aren't fake. I can also visit my parents more often and I enjoy the cold. The rent is more but the pay is more than what I was getting as a junior orchestrator in LA.

The other caveat is that my girlfriend is an Opera singer based in mostly in the east coast and is thinking about moving to paris. She will absolutely not step foot inside LA so maybe I won't ever go back. She is quite the french snob.

Not much work related things I listed as I honestly don't know how hard it is. I had some great references and had work lined up. I suppose it is also important to know more than just the work if you plan to move to a city.
Old 24th December 2010
  #16
Lives for gear
 
JSt0rm's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadOrange View Post
I spent about 2 years in LA after finishing my masters doing orchestration work. It was hell. The workload was one thing but I just hated everything about the city. It was great experience and thank god I was busy. I'm from Montreal and the change was just too extreme. The city is a block of concrete. I've never been somewhere where everyone pretends to be somebody important. You go into Starbucks, you will see 3 douches on laptops looking around making sure everyone knows they are working on scripts. Everyone is an actor, everyone name drops and as a lowly humble orchestrator that doesn't really lie well unless the lie is so out of this world that i'm imagining some other person and writing a story in my head, well I want to say i'm a composer but I wasn't and I felt like I was the only person that was struggling working 14 hours a day. I did alot of eye rolling. For a while I just said I was an accountant so I would avoid the lame ill researched shop talk. My work mates were great and I enjoyed the experience and I will probably go back when I have more compositional credits.

I also felt that everyone talked in this sort of way that was at first sincere sounding but then eventually you realize that they are somehow trying to get something from you or find out if you can do something for them.

In NY, I am doing more production / composition related work and I feel much more at home. People are cold but at least they aren't fake. I can also visit my parents more often and I enjoy the cold. The rent is more but the pay is more than what I was getting as a junior orchestrator in LA.

The other caveat is that my girlfriend is an Opera singer based in mostly in the east coast and is thinking about moving to paris. She will absolutely not step foot inside LA so maybe I won't ever go back. She is quite the french snob.

Not much work related things I listed as I honestly don't know how hard it is. I had some great references and had work lined up. I suppose it is also important to know more than just the work if you plan to move to a city.
I live in LA. I just dont go out. There are cool people here. Problem is they are all so busy you will never meet them hehehe.
Old 24th December 2010
  #17
Lives for gear
 

....no big city is a lot of fun w/o money, connections and friends.... LA IS very different from Montreal, and I applaud you for realizing you weren't happy there, even though you were working. This is why it is important to decide where you want to end up geographically as part of deciding where to seek your fortune--life is not just about work and career. For any city I've lived in--you really have to want to be THERE to put up with whatever it throws at you--there are issues in every city. I know plenty of people who are very happy living and working in LA, and many of them are originally from there.

phil p
Old 24th December 2010
  #18
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
People are cold but at least they aren't fake.
I have tied my tongue in knots to avoid posting in this thread until now, but couldn't hold back a little smile while reading yours. Let's just say I am very happy to be in NYC.

Of course LA rules and if I were choosing where to establish myself, and someone like me had some advice to give to me, I'd listen to myself's advice and either go to LA or maybe take a chance and go to New Mexico or Las Vegas, wherever the next important market is emerging (Mumbai? Dubai?)! Unless you have a trust fund or a job on Wall Street that can help you make your 2K monthly rent in NYC, it is hard to start a career here. The hardest and least enjoyable part of my adult life was getting established in NYC. You're in LI so you may already know that.

Georgia's offer sounds good, but no pay. Maybe she can include a few square meals with that offer?
Old 24th December 2010
  #19
Dam,

If I didn't still have to live in my house for another 2 years I'd be jumping on that internship offer in a heart beat. With the amount of work and QUALITY that geo puts out, who ever interns with her (and her company) must learn TONS.
Old 24th December 2010
  #20
Gear Nut
 
DrummerMan's Avatar
 

LA or NYC

Hi, this is just one man's opinion and it's neither here nor there, but here's my own completely subjective take on NYC and LA...

Being a cold asshole all the time can EASILY be just as fake and as much about feigning self-importance as pretending to be super nice and interested in whatever super Hollywood success story you're trying to create for yourself. There's the best and worst people in any place you'll live.
Old 24th December 2010
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Henchman's Avatar
LA a block of concrete?
Where were you living, because I find it to be anything but a block of concrete.
And my experience of LA having moved here from Vancouver has been quite the opposite.
Everybody here has been extremely open and helpful. Far beyond what I experienced in Vancouver. And I've met very few assholes and d ouchebags.
I've met some really really great people here. And my only regret is not having moved here sooner, when I decided to leave Holland 25 years ago, and went to San Francisco instead.

If I was starting off in post, I'd be in LA.
Old 24th December 2010
  #22
Gear Head
 

thanks guys for all the responses.. I lived in LA for 2.5 years so i know exactly how the city is like with all the actors the fake people. You just grow accustomed to it and blow of the people you know who are fake. No many people can see through other people, myself tho can tell who is fake and who is not, i guess thats a little bit of my new york mentality. A lot of people at my job probably thought i was an asshole, and that's ok because the restaurant i worked at was a joke it was ******** and i didnt make as much money as I wanted to, but i was in school at the time and too busy to try and find a new job. I still haven't decided on where I want to end up for sure, but

i do know that I'm really leaning on returning to LA. I have a bunch of friends that live out there from home and friends that I met while going to audio school that are still there. What I do know is that I do not want to be living at home anymore, im 27 and its time to move out. I will not be one of those people that live with mommy and daddy at age 30, sorry if i offended anyone but its just not me.. I been on my own before and coming back home is one of the hardest decisions you will make..

With that being said, I would love to live in new york but i feel like there isnt an opportunity where I can get in the industry as fast as I could in LA. I know i know what does that mean, i just honestly believe that I can get my foot in the door in LA faster than in NY. Now if i did go to new york and didn't get anything then its like i moved an hour from home paying all this rent and not getting anything out of it where i can just take the LIRR whenever i need to go to the city for cheaper. As far as the lifestyle, LA is more suitable for me. I love the warm weather practically all year round and all the advantages there, but thats not something i would completely factor in making a decision on a career path. And i also feel with no disrespect to anyone that works in NY or anywhere outside of LA, that LA has the best of the best professionals working in that city and that's what i'm about, i want to learn from the best.

on that note I hope everyone has a great christmas.
Old 24th December 2010
  #23
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwignjhxc View Post
I would love to live in new york but i feel like there isnt an opportunity where I can get in the industry as fast as I could in LA. I know i know what does that mean, i just honestly believe that I can get my foot in the door in LA faster than in NY.
i must be missing something here, did you even read this thread??

happy holidays by the way
Old 24th December 2010
  #24
Lives for gear
 
JSt0rm's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Id Ridden View Post
i must be missing something here, did you even read this thread??

happy holidays by the way
guaranteed 15 lurkers picked up on it and flooded somebodies private messages.

Very funny though.
Old 24th December 2010
  #25
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm View Post
guaranteed 15 lurkers picked up on it and flooded somebodies private messages.

Very funny though.
i don't get it

buddy starts a thread directly asking the world about internships and then completely ignores a direct offer from someone within what appears to be commutable distance...weird

if i was looking for an internship i would have jumped at this faster then the speed of light, but i guess that's just me.... very, very peculiar, and humerus too yes heh
Old 24th December 2010
  #26
Don't pick on the guys too hard. I talked to a couple of them. Very nice, but way beyond an internship. In fact I'll probably give one of them a call on a future paying gig.

FYI: My Internship program is pointed to people who are coming out of college or film school/audio school and have no background and need to learn from the bottom up & gain some working credits and a first spot on their resume... It's 6 months of unpaid hard work, with real hands on training, classroom and one on one with my team, etc... So it wouldn't really help someone who is already got a foothold in the biz.... We've also physically down scaled a lot to save money in this messed up economy and we're doing more production & post production of our own content. Small office, much more team based field work in other studios, mobile systems, remote facilities, location, etc... So I can't do 8 or 10 interns at a time anymore... Now we're planning just 2 or 3 at a time on the next round so they have to be more general. Handling pre-production work, production support, post audio and video, etc... Right now we're ramping up for 2 feature films, 1 short film and a couple of reality shows that we are either exec producing or producing...so it's not really an AUDIO POST internship and its certainly not one for someone already in the biz with credits... that kind of person deserves to get a paycheck for this stuff.

cheers
geo
Old 24th December 2010
  #27
Motown legend
 
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
 

From what I've seen most of the work is done in LA however it's easier to make a good reputation in New York that can follow you to LA because it's a small but somewhat more professional scene.
Old 24th December 2010
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Henchman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
From what I've seen most of the work is done in LA however it's easier to make a good reputation in New York that can follow you to LA because it's a small but somewhat more professional scene.
Except, unless you get some major, major credits under your belt in LA, you will be pretty much starting from scratch if you decide to come to LA a year or 2 later.
I know at least one guy who had to start in the machine room, after having spent a couple fo years in New York.
Old 24th December 2010
  #29
Motown legend
 
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
...unless you get some major, major credits under your belt in LA, you will be pretty much starting from scratch if you decide to come to LA a year or 2 later...
What I've seen is that it's easier to get those first major credits in NY and lots of people who work in NY also work in LA.
Old 25th December 2010
  #30
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwignjhxc View Post
"LA... New York... LA... living at home... LA... LA... NY... New York... LA... NY... LA... LA..."
(Taken from your exact words)

Which one thing is not like the other two?

I'll admit I'm old school and don't placate well. Move out of the house and get a place to live on your own and a job. At this point, your dilemma reads like spoiled talk mostly consisting of non-essentials.

Necessity has a great way of making decisions for you.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Froombosch / Gear free zone - shoot the breeze
0
Fash / So much gear, so little time
0
shamrakov / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
robdarling / So much gear, so little time
6

Forum Jump
Forum Jump