The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bugs Bunny & Co Voices
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Bugs Bunny & Co Voices

Hi all,
We're going to dub several classic Bugs Bunny cartoons into catalan (regional language of Catalonia, Spain) and am hoping for some advice.
Although we can't get near the genius of Mel Blanc, we do have talented voice actors that can do a more than decent job.
I guess that engineers at WB used varispeed to record some voices (e.g. Porky pig), is this true? Any insight on the technique?
If I have to pitch shift in post (maintaining duration), i fear that it will not sound as good as the original varispeed.
Any tips?
Thank you!!
(That's all, folks!)
Old 17th December 2010
Yes, it vari-speed tape. I worked with Mel for several years on a musical project. We had to run the 24track between 4-7% slow depending on voice.
Any good pitch shifting software should be able to accomplish the same thing.
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Guru

I worked with Mel as well, and I'm pretty sure everyone was vari-sped except Yosemite Sam and Foghorn Leghorn (and Elmer Fudd, which wasn't Mel).

As part of my prep work for recording Mel (for some Diet Coke commercials), I had to slow down some of the old cartoons to hear what Mel was doing in real time. Fascinating -- especially Tweety.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Great!
Thank you both for the info!!
Cheers
Old 17th December 2010
Not to side track the OP, but IMHO, Mel was one of my favorites to work with. Never any attitude, he was a team player that loved his work.
Great guy...
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

I guess part of the charm of looney tunes was that every voice was Mel. I'm afraid we will have to use several actors to achive that range of characterizations. Anyway, I envy you for having worked with Mel I'm sure it was a pleasure! Is it true that they recorded the voice before drawing the actual cartoon?
Cheers!
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Guru

It takes a lot of different actors to do the modern American stuff, too. And yes, the voice-recording was (and still is) the first step.

And FWIW, I don't think any of the modern Looney Tunes voices get pitch-shifted, except maybe Tweety a tiny bit. You could ask Bob Bergen -- I'm sure he'd be happy to share.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search