The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
C6 Sidechain problem Dynamics Plugins
Old 16th December 2010
Here for the gear

C6 Sidechain problem

Hi guys, I mix for TV and usually I ride my music so it lets the dialogue be dominant.
I started trying the new Waves C6 but I cant seem to make it work properly, the plug simply wont "bypass" after being side chained.
Here is what I am doing:
I am setting the C6 to compress critical bands that will cover DIALOGUE content (ducking frequencies), so i sidechain it to my dialogue buss, lets say I create a send to buss 15, and set it up on C6 to get it from BUSS 7 (key input).
All my bands are on external and can see it working if dialogue is present...
The problem is that although I see no compression while dialogue is not present, I can actually hear it (I went really aggressive with the ranges just to double check), so basically with no dialogue BYPASSING the plug gives me a different colour than not BYPASSING it, isnt that the purpose of sidechain?
This is the first time I use sidechain, so it might be something I am doing wrong?
Thanks for the help!
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

have updated to the latest version?

there were a few bugs with c6:

V7r16 - Hot Fixes

November 2010

Waves has just released new V7r16 installers. V7 Users: These new installers do not require new authorizations; they will uninstall all previously installed V7 plugins.

V7r16 installers include two bug fixes for C6 Multiband Compressor sidechain component:
C6 TDM sidechain component now maintains 67 samples of latency in bypass mode.

C6 TDM sidechain mono component: Band 5 sidechain now works properly

Wavesupport | News | V7r16 - Hot Fixes
Old 16th December 2010
Here for the gear

C6 Sidechain solution

Hey guys, before I look like an idiot, I am posting what I discovered.
C6 wont bypass the GAIN functions on sidechain, and thats what was happening, once I controlled everything with my RANGE and Q settings and let the GAINS all at unity, it worked fine, (same content on BYP or not BYP when no dialogue present).
Hope it helps whoever is working with this plug too.
Old 21st December 2010
Here for the gear

From the C6 Manual..

Bypass defeats a band’s dynamics processing and Gain control. If you want to defeat dynamics processing but maintain control of Gain, set that band’s Range to 0.
Old 18th January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TannoyGold View Post
Bypass defeats a band’s dynamics processing and Gain control. If you want to defeat dynamics processing but maintain control of Gain, set that band’s Range to 0.
Well, thats a bug then...
Old 19th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by napobu View Post
Well, thats a bug then...
Why?
The Neve 88RS & SSL channel strips work like this, as do a lot of console compressors. In these configurations, the range control determines the depth of gain reduction - so setting this to 0 seems sensible in the case quoted.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search