The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hurling SFX??? Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Head

Hurling SFX???

I’m putting together a DVD for an English event company and there is some footage of Irish hurling.
I am looking for relevant sfx but it looks like there is nothing available on any British or American sfx sites.
This is a clip I got on Youtube to what the game looks like.

YouTube - Hurling - The Fastest Game on Grass

Anyone got any ideas on where I might get the crowd atmosphere and the sticks hitting the ball etc..
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Maniac

If you can't find actual Hurling SFX, it looks like you might be able to get away with Lacrosse sounds (although they might be almost as rare) There is a little Lacrosse stuff on Soundsnap, but mostly equipment bags etc, not a lot of ball collisions. Good luck!

Sonny Keyes
Ricochet Audio
Toronto
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

field hockey sounds? stick hits and such? Find a local match and go record it?

I have never seen that sport, EVER!
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Man, they don't even wear gloves...you may want to include the sounds of fingers breaking....shudder...

+1 on field hockey, you need wooden sticks. Lacrosse stick shafts are aluminum, unless your talking women's Lacrosse (but they don't allow stick checking)
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

hurling?? try toilet flushes...
Old 15th December 2010
beats the request last year here for Cruling....
all you need for curling is a couple stones bumping and a lot of people sleeping.

cheers
geo
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Addict

woah that sport is crazy looking. i might actually watch that if it was on tv.

since it's wooden bats and a ball you could try some baseball sounds.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post
all you need for curling is a couple stones bumping and a lot of people sleeping.
Georgia, with all due respect, you've never watched curling in Canada, have you?!

Sonny Keyes
Ricochet Audio
Toronto
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

I thought for sure this was going to be about barfing.

To me it looks like a pretty standard sports build (foley, impacts, etc) with a bit of specifics like racket swooshes, clacks, and ball sounds.
Old 20th December 2010
... sorry... only kidding. I actually have watched it.. and ( don't tell anyone ) like to watch... it's actually interesting how the strategy works... .a...

cheers
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnykeyes View Post
Georgia, with all due respect, you've never watched curling in Canada, have you?!

Sonny Keyes
Ricochet Audio
Toronto
Old 29th December 2010
TLR
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorhifikit View Post
I thought for sure this was going to be about barfing.

To me it looks like a pretty standard sports build (foley, impacts, etc) with a bit of specifics like racket swooshes, clacks, and ball sounds.
Me Too Almost volunteered putting a omnidirectional condenser in the local pub's bathroom and waiting till about 1AM after a big rugby game.
Old 30th December 2010
Hurling

I would contact a TV station or post house in Ireland, particularly in the West, near Kerry or Kinsale. Hurling is big there and I am sure the locals would have some stock material you could use or purchase. It is a very exciting match to watch.
Brian in Halifax

cottagelunch.com
Old 30th December 2010
Here for the gear

Hey,

I'm from Ireland myself but I don't have a mic at present so I can't provide any samples. The Hurley is made from Ash and the Sliotar (ball) is condensed cork covered with a leather surface. The Hurley also has a metal strap wrapped tightly around the hitting end so the Sliotar doesn't end up breaking the wood. A dull, snappy and slight metalic wood sound is probobly what you're after. Here are some examples...

YouTube - Hurling Trick
YouTube - Guinness ad - Player taking a free in Hurling

Hope this helps!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search