The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sony PCM D50 "Don King" vs K-Tek Topper windscreens
Old 26th October 2010
Gear Maniac

Sony PCM D50 "Don King" vs K-Tek Topper windscreens

Hey all!

I doubt there's a difference, but has anyone with the D50 compared the "Don King" windscreen with the K-Tek Topper windscreen (K-Tek D1 Topper - Windscreen Topper f/ PCM-D1 K-D1TPR-FF - B&H)? I have the "Don King" and I feel it doesn't protect as much as I'd like. I went out to record some river sounds and I frequently have to hipass 500hz or higher to cut out wind. I generally feel that if there's even a slight breeze the "Don King" slightly cushions the wind to a manageable level.
Old 26th October 2010
Lives for gear
Rycote make some great ones for most portable recorders.
Old 26th October 2010
Gear Head

You can make your own with faux fur if you select the proper materials, and know how to sew...

mind you this forum is called gearslutz, so maybe not many DIY'rs here.
Old 26th October 2010
Gear Addict

Try Redhead (RedHead Windscreens) - use one on my Sony PCM-M10 and it works a treat and is reasonably priced (must be said I never used sony's own or the rycote though)
Old 26th October 2010
Gear Maniac

Great! Thanks for the suggestions. I'd love to hear about someone comparing the original PCM windscreen to these other ones, but I think for price I'd probably take a gamble.
Old 26th October 2010
nkf
Lives for gear

I can recommend the Dead Kitten from RØDE which is originally intended for the NT4 microphone. When I got my NT4 I checked the Dead Kitten as a wind screen for my D-50 and it fits and works better than the original Sony fur wind screen I have too. Since then I use the Dead Kitten ... it's even cheaper than the Sony one.
Old 27th October 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkf View Post
I can recommend the Dead Kitten from RØDE which is originally intended for the NT4 microphone. When I got my NT4 I checked the Dead Kitten as a wind screen for my D-50 and it fits and works better than the original Sony fur wind screen I have too. Since then I use the Dead Kitten ... it's even cheaper than the Sony one.
Thank you! This looks promising!
Old 1st November 2010
Lives for gear

The Sony D-50 already has a great "frame" for a windscreen in front of it's built in mics. Take a single layer of some "knee high" material and secure it over the frame that protects the mics on the D-50. You can cut it short and secure it with a rubber band. That doesn't work? Try two layers. That doesn't work? Try three layers. Much better than a foam.

Greg Youngman Music: Jan 9, 2006
Old 2nd November 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkf View Post
+1 have boght the sony one. it does not work at all. but the dead kitten does! It is perfect for the D50! I would not think twice and just buy it.
And sony should stop selling theirs.
Old 30th November 2011
Here for the gear

I recently took the Sony PCM-D50 on family vacation armed with both RedHead windshield & a Rycote Portable Recorder Kit. I also own a deadkitten from Rode.

My observations are as follows:
1. Rode : Kills high frequencies as the material mesh is thick .. like the skin off a kitten.. good wind protection, but recording rain it totally destroyed the crispness of the water hitting the grass.

2. Redhead : Very impressed with these, however they are very 'snug' and so any direct wind from front caused a little rumble. No perceivable HF loss compared to deadkitten. Also they are made to fit a particular recorder, and seem to be a little loose, whipping the recorder in and out of my bag, the windshield kept coming off.

3. Rycote portable recorder kit fluffy : This was my favorite and I used it exclusively the rest of the trip. It handled most wind situations, was very transparent like the redheads, but due to it's length, the extra skin gave much better wind protection in heavier wind situations specially any direct wind towards the mics. The elastic on the fluffy was awesome, it fit very snugly onto the PCM-D50 roll cage and didn't keep coming off while drawing and stowing in my day pack.

My suggestion, fork out the $130-150 for the Rycote Portable recorder kit and get a handle, suspension and fluffy which will fit most portable recorders.
Old 1st December 2011
Lives for gear

I love my d-50 but I just have the default sony windscreen.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search