The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Avid/ProTools announcement
Old 17th August 2010
  #1
Lives for gear
 

Avid/ProTools announcement

New Avid Pro Tools HD Series Interfaces Advance Quality and Performance of World's Most Popular Digital Audio Workstation - MarketWatch

So is this the big announcement we've been hearing about?

A giant MBOX that needs a core system, Another interface that supports MADI and a smaller 16 I/O interface?
Old 17th August 2010
  #2
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sanchez View Post
New Avid Pro Tools HD Series Interfaces Advance Quality and Performance of World's Most Popular Digital Audio Workstation - MarketWatch

So is this the big announcement we've been hearing about?

A giant MBOX that needs a core system, Another interface that supports MADI and a smaller 16 I/O interface?

If it's true, then that's great, but I'd rather go for the Apogee Symphony I/O as you can mix and match various I/O cards as and when you need them.

If Avid had made these with USB3 or FireWire/Ethernet connectivity as well as connection to an HD card, they'd be far more enticing.

Native for those that want it, or if you want to, you can plug-in to more powerful versions of the HD cards.
Old 17th August 2010
  #3
And the prices remain high, specially the MADI box, seeing that the SSL boxes are cheaper albeit without the SRC that the AVID ones claim to have.
Old 17th August 2010
  #4
Price of the 8x8x8, 16 analog and digital units good, especially if performance is increased. HEAT, jury is still out... Omni makes absolutely no sense at all from a price perspective. This could have been an opportunity for Digi to make that "bridge" solution... either HD Native with a proprietary non-DSP PCI-e or EXPRESSCARD adapter (cheap), or gasp, even firewire / USB#. Hell, even make it an LE product that unlocks ADC, track count, TC, full Beat Detective, etc... even if it retains the "dongle" approach to locking in LE. If Digi were to release cheaper core cards, with DSP-less options for even cheaper, I feel it would bring Omni back into a competitive place, but right now you have to ask yourself, huh? Really, though, I wish they would finally just merge HD and LE into a single product. All the arguments I hear about pros getting upset about the value of their expensive systems going down, just doesn't make sense to me. That is a hobbyist / collectors thought process, not of an actual working professional. Best tool for the job at the time, and now is the time for Digi to get with the times and to remain profitable.
Old 17th August 2010
  #5
Gear Nut
 
dsteinwedel's Avatar
 

After all the buildup and rumors, that gets a big, fat, 'Meh.' It gives me no reason to upgrade any hardware (or even move from 7.4 to 8). I'm not getting excited until the process cards are overhauled (or, preferably, gone).

--Dave
Old 17th August 2010
  #6
Lives for gear
 
santacore's Avatar
Not what I was expecting.
Old 17th August 2010
  #7
Gear Maniac
 
Dallas Taylor's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsteinwedel View Post
After all the buildup and rumors, that gets a big, fat, 'Meh.' It gives me no reason to upgrade any hardware (or even move from 7.4 to 8). I'm not getting excited until the process cards are overhauled (or, preferably, gone).

--Dave
Ha! That's exactly the way I described it when I first heard: "meh"

There's nothing there that I would rip my studio apart, spend more $$, and have downtime losses for.

I really enjoyed this post: The AIR Users Blog :: The Number 1 Source for AIR Tips, Tricks and Information - News Latest - Avid Repeat After Your User
Old 17th August 2010
  #8
Lives for gear
 
kk@jamsync.com's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_lowe View Post
If it's true, then that's great, but I'd rather go for the Apogee Symphony I/O as you can mix and match various I/O cards as and when you need them.

If Avid had made these with USB3 or FireWire/Ethernet connectivity as well as connection to an HD card, they'd be far more enticing.

Native for those that want it, or if you want to, you can plug-in to more powerful versions of the HD cards.

I agree...what a disappointment.
Old 17th August 2010
  #9
Gear Addict
 

'Meh' indeed - I've never had a problem with the 192 converters to be honest. I was looking for overhauled DSP cards (or at least firmware upgrades to allow them run at their full speed) and a major .x software update to clear up all the bug fixes (I see more known issues than fixed bugs in the read-me file for 8.1).

BUT....

I use some TDM only plugins for sound design especially and I would very much like to upgrade my home LE gear to HD - I won't jump until they revamp the cards but the Omni unit looks great for a compact edit system.

Really not sure Protools Native is on the cards now with these new PCI-based units - no sign of firewire/USB3/Express Card connectivity.
Old 17th August 2010
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Animation View Post
'Meh' indeed - I've never had a problem with the 192 converters to be honest. I was looking for overhauled DSP cards (or at least firmware upgrades to allow them run at their full speed) and a major .x software update to clear up all the bug fixes (I see more known issues than fixed bugs in the read-me file for 8.1).

gn of firewire/USB3/Express Card connectivity.
I've never once had a complaint from a client about the audio quality, but bugs, crashes, lockups and seamless interchange from Avid or Final Cut or another DAW to ProTools has been a fairly consistent complaint from both clients and users. With the speed we are being asked to work, the constant updates in video codecs and formats, and the lowering of rates..just get us a product that does not slow us down. Our clients are approving mixes on laptops, cell phones and .99 cent earbuds and you give us more stable clocks and A to D converters?
Old 17th August 2010
  #11
Well put Rick! Totally agree
Old 17th August 2010
  #12
Gear Maniac
 

Harrrrrrumph.

New hardware, nice, maybe it improves some mediocre sounding analog. Maybe not. If we need analog in HD we don't use a 192...

Those ridiculous, antiquated, underpowered dsp cards are still there. Harrrumph again.

Still have PT LameEdition which underperforms and under-features most out there. Harrr......

$5k for a 64-channel madi interface? Are you high? Even with SRC? The only way to get to 96 tracks main and backup (assuming you can stack units onto HD3) is with FOUR of those, with 1/4 of the madi not used????

Debating where to invest for our next two workstations... Our three xxxxxx workstations are ridiculously powerful.... (not named, not starting any flaming)

Harumph, possibly for the final time.
Hugh
Old 17th August 2010
  #13
Lives for gear
 
PoxyMusic's Avatar
 

Call me crazy, but I was secretly hoping for bins in the region list. I think Digi is going passive-aggressive on that feature…ignore the request long enough and it might go away.

15 years and counting that's been on my wish list.
Old 17th August 2010
  #14
Gear Addict
 

software could be so much cooler for editing audio.
my good there is still so much to implement. Someone has to do it!


me want to try nuendo... but stick with protools because that´s everyones platform. maybe nuendo has other problems but when I see the direction
and feature development at steinberg it seems so much more
postproduction dedicated.
But hey last time I tested it it was Nuendo 3.0 and it was not good for me.

Quote:
Call me crazy, but I was secretly hoping for bins in the region list.
yeah but look... now you can "Add some HEAT to your mix."
Old 17th August 2010
  #15
Lives for gear
 

I guess Avid secretly hopes picture editors will be doing most of the mixing in the near future, so why bother getting the bugs fixed. After all..picture editors never complain about audio features. Just double up tracks when it's not loud enough, give us some preset EQ and compression, get those red lights flashing and you're good to go. Is that lip sync OK? Who cares? It's just audio.
Old 17th August 2010
  #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sanchez View Post
I guess Avid secretly hopes picture editors will be doing most of the mixing in the near future, so why bother getting the bugs fixed. After all..picture editors never complain about audio features. Just double up tracks when it's not loud enough, give us some preset EQ and compression, get those red lights flashing and you're good to go. Is that lip sync OK? Who cares? It's just audio.
You'd be surprised. heh
Old 17th August 2010
  #17
Lives for gear
 
ggegan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sanchez View Post
I guess Avid secretly hopes picture editors will be doing most of the mixing in the near future, so why bother getting the bugs fixed. After all..picture editors never complain about audio features. Just double up tracks when it's not loud enough, give us some preset EQ and compression, get those red lights flashing and you're good to go. Is that lip sync OK? Who cares? It's just audio.
Actually, I know a very famous picture editor who likes to cut scenes without listening to the sound. And he mixes, too.
Old 17th August 2010
  #18
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggegan View Post
Actually, I know a very famous picture editor who likes to cut scenes without listening to the sound. And he mixes, too.

If every picture editor or sound editor/mixer was a Walter Murch, we could all rest easy....or be out of a job.
Old 17th August 2010
  #19
Lives for gear
 
PoxyMusic's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggegan View Post
Actually, I know a very famous picture editor who likes to cut scenes without listening to the sound. And he mixes, too.
Did this person once win two Oscars for picture and sound editing for the same movie?

Edit:Rick beats me to the punch
Old 17th August 2010
  #20
Lives for gear
 
mikevarela's Avatar
 

It's a slight incremental rev and posturing with the parent company...
The latency timing is great, one would expect that.. and nice too that they've added a madi interface (though cost too high) and I agree that the Omni looks like a great LE interface, but as an HD one???? WHY? The whole on the road thing is firewire/USB, not PCI-E.

I agree with previous posting, bridge the gap with the omni as a cheaper 3/4k option on PCI. Then I'd buy. I don't need that many inputs, just 8 out for surround and maybe 2 or 4 in for mics. But I could use the delay comp and guaranteed track counts.

Maybe this is the first in a line of changes, leading to 8.1. Hopefully they add some features to the CPTK LE...maybe sync options and an integration of the euphonix desktop mixer line over Ethernet. (Yay!!! please)
Old 18th August 2010
  #21
Lives for gear
 
soundboy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sanchez View Post
I guess Avid secretly hopes picture editors will be doing most of the mixing in the near future, so why bother getting the bugs fixed. After all..picture editors never complain about audio features. Just double up tracks when it's not loud enough, give us some preset EQ and compression, get those red lights flashing and you're good to go. Is that lip sync OK? Who cares? It's just audio.
Bitter party, table for one! I'll actually join you at that table, I just lost a big job, because the mixes are going to be done in the Avid.
Old 18th August 2010
  #22
Gear Maniac
 

It surprises me that there is no SDI i/o on any of these boxes either. That would have made more sense to me. Other than those running DFCs or the like, what exactly is the market for Madi these days?

-R
Old 18th August 2010
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Retrofreak's Avatar
 

Too little too late.
Old 18th August 2010
  #24
Lives for gear
 

The thing I found most funny about the blog post were the responses. Especially the average music guy complaining that AVID's main focus for PT is for use Post Folks. It seems like every week or so I read a post here or on the DUC complaining that AVID spends too much time thinking about the music guys and generally ignores us. It is, in a sad beaten kind of way, nice to know we aren't alone in feeling neglected.

Getting more on topic - There a ton of things that these I/O devices will be useful for. Unfortunately, very little of it will be directed immediately towards us.

I was really kind of hoping that 8.1 and this announcement would be the end of the TDM architecture.



Old 18th August 2010
  #25
Gear Nut
 

hi Steven

but could hope that the HD MADI could i/o 64 track @ 96khz
for that you need 2 delta link SSL !

Stephane
Old 18th August 2010
  #26
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhumphries View Post
It surprises me that there is no SDI i/o on any of these boxes either. That would have made more sense to me. Other than those running DFCs or the like, what exactly is the market for Madi these days?

-R
there is no market because all the large stages have ssl interfaces already.
Old 18th August 2010
  #27
Gear Maniac
 

I don't think Avid will be selling much of these. I don't see why I would bother to upgrade interfaces at all.

But that's fine. My protools has been running solid on a G5 with my old PCIx system.

I was just hoping for a non-crippled native system.
Old 18th August 2010
  #28
I started thinking about how likely a major software revision of ProTools actually was for this release, as it felt premature but I wasn't sure... So I got the entire ProTools release history, put it in a timeline, calculated the development cycle from 1.0 -> 2.0 -> .... -> 8.0
The average period between major versions worked out at 26 months. So based on that ProTools 9.0 should be released February 2011 +/- the margins of error

(I realise some revisions are more major than others eg major OS change etc)

I plugged similar data in for ableton LIVE and Photoshop (seeing as it is similar age to ProTools) - I'll post them once I find a nice way to create an infographic of them!
Old 18th August 2010
  #29
Lives for gear
 
autodidactic's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Baxter Put View Post
I don't think Avid will be selling much of these. I don't see why I would bother to upgrade interfaces at all.

But that's fine. My protools has been running solid on a G5 with my old PCIx system.

I was just hoping for a non-crippled native system.
FYI: There is a thread in the "New Products" forum where somebody noticed that Sweetwater accidentally prematurely put up a product page for HD 8.1 which specifically mentioned that it will work with HD NATIVE HARDWARE. I confirmed this but has since been taken down at sweetwater.
Old 18th August 2010
  #30
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodidactic View Post
FYI: There is a thread in the "New Products" forum where somebody noticed that Sweetwater accidentally prematurely put up a product page for HD 8.1 which specifically mentioned that it will work with HD NATIVE HARDWARE. I confirmed this but has since been taken down at sweetwater.
WOW! They actually listened to me?

I guess I should post more feature requests????

Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Ace'Lo / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
1
pointdorgue / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
4
fabricaudio / Music Business
0
tedpenn / So Much Gear, So Little Time
13

Forum Jump
Forum Jump