The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
My Craigslist Ad: Composer Looking for Film Crew!
Old 1st June 2010
My Craigslist Ad: Composer Looking for Film Crew!

I just wrote and recorded a fantastic music score, it's really ambitious, and all who were involved are quite sure this thing is going to make it into festivals. We're not really sure which ones, but judging by how impeccable it turned out, and 'cause I know "some guy", we're thinking Cannes! Here's the thing- We haven't shot the movie yet, so we are looking for a great crew to help us finish it up!

First off we need a writer that can ensure the script has enough emotional content to do the flawlessly arranged/performed/recorded score some justice.

Next we just need a good director of photography, preferably one with his own crew/lighting equipment/camera that shoots HD video to shoot the thing.

We definitely need a director to bring the script to life, if you've directed movies before, please send me a link on youtube, as that's probably the release format we will use for this project.

Oh yeah, we need some actors that are smart enough to read a script and then speak the words written down out loud while the camera is rolling. (But you can't have the script on hand, you have to be able to remember each scene. Sucks, I know.)

The thing is, it costs a good amount of money to write and record a halfways decent score. Microphones are freakin' expensive... We wanted to just use those old school digital ones that came with PCs in the 90's, you know, the ones you could use with Microsoft Sound Recorder software, but turns out, they sounded like crap! Speaking of recording software, we use Pro Tools, it costs several hundred dollars for the most stripped down version, and because we wanted to be able to record more than two tracks at a time, we spent some money on equipment that allowed us to actually record several instrumentalists at once. Actually, the instrumentalists cost money too. For some reason, they charged money for their time- something having to do with them going to music school, and having student loans to pay off.

Unfortunately, even once we had a few talented musicians, we tried to record in my bedroom, and guess what, it sounded kind of crummy. So we had to find an adequate studio space to record in. That cost some money too. Did you know that once the music is written and recorded, it takes some time to "mix" it? You may not know this, but people actually get paid to make sure all the different parts of a song work together. We had to pay for someone with their own special equipment to do that too, ugh.

Basically what I'm saying is we didn't budget this thing right, so we won't be able to pay anyone to work on this film, but we know that it's going to be so great, you should feel honored enough just to be a part of it, and work for free. We know that cameras, lights, and people's time cost money, but we simply can't pay anyone anything, at all. As I said though, you will get credit on a film that is surely going to make a big splash at various festivals. That should be enough, right?

If interested please respond to this ad and maybe we can work something out, I can't wait to see the finished product! I know in spite of none of the visual artists getting paid anything to work on it, it will be a great film!

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Compensation: NO PAY

P.S. We need a sound designer too, but no one pays attention to that **** LOL so I'll get my little sister to do it.
Old 1st June 2010
Gear Head

Moohahaha. Genius!
Old 1st June 2010
Lives for gear

I'm in!
Old 2nd June 2010
ruy
Gear Maniac

Ja!
Old 2nd June 2010
Gear Nut

DVD copy, credit, and lunch and I'm in.
Old 2nd June 2010
wait wait.... if I agree to mix it for free can I do the sound design for free too? heh

cheers
geo
Old 2nd June 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post
wait wait.... if I agree to mix it for free can I do the sound design for free too? heh

cheers
geo
You'll have to send a sample of previous work, I'm sure they only want experienced people.
Old 2nd June 2010
Lives for gear

When I read things like this I wonder: why don't we have a post of the month? That's gold!!!!
Old 2nd June 2010
Lives for gear

Dear Sir,

I'd like to reply to your recent ad looking for a filmmaker.

I can write, direct, shoot and edit your entire film for you. I don't have a lot of professional experience, but I just graduated from my local community college media program at the top of my class. I have a JVC Camcorder. It didn't cost a lot, but I can do all the things those Hollywood types do for a lot less - after all it says "HD" right on it. And I have Final Cut so I can do all your color correction AND digital FX right in it. It even has audio so I can mix all your music stuff together! Don't know why you paid those expensive studios... all the tools you need are right here! That's why it's called "Final Cut PRO" - because it's professional. I really want to get some "real word" experience under my belt, so I'd be happy to let you abuse me on this project, and expect far more than you'd get if you were paying for it.

Thanks for your time, I know we'll be a great team!

heh
Old 2nd June 2010
Here for the gear

Re: My Craigslist Ad: Composer Looking for Film Crew!

Love. Love. Love this.
"and you'd better pull three all nighters in a row to finish on time, or you'll never work for free in this town again!"
Old 3rd June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundguydave View Post
You'll have to send a sample of previous work, I'm sure they only want experienced people.

Damn it.... WHY DO THEY ALWAYS want EXPERIENCE!! doesn't my degree from Audio U. count for anything?
Old 3rd June 2010
Lives for gear

post any responses you get
Old 4th June 2010
ruy
Gear Maniac

Would you consider a Derek Jarman homage?
Old 4th June 2010
Gear Addict

I'll pay you.....

....I'll pay you if you let me be the producer. I have zero video/film experience, but I figure that since audio post is being done in Final Cut by video editors who know nothing about audio... so why can't an audio engineer do the same with video ???

Count me in!
Old 7th June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrasound View Post
....I'll pay you if you let me be the producer. I have zero video/film experience, but I figure that since audio post is being done in Final Cut by video editors who know nothing about audio... so why can't an audio engineer do the same with video ???

Count me in!
You can even cut it in Pro Tools... since version 8 we've been able to use multiple video tracks, right, and actually edit video regions as well? Sorted. Then send the sound over to be mixed in Final Cut Pro. Perfect!
Old 7th June 2010
Lives for gear

If you'll let me collect autographs and tweet a whole bunch, I'm willing to provide craft services as long as you limit the shoot to one day. The compressor motor went out on the walk-in cooler at my cousin's restaurant, and he's gotta move about 1000 pounds of marinating chicken, tuna salad and cottage cheese before the end of next week.
Old 7th June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post
You can even cut it in Pro Tools... since version 8 we've been able to use multiple video tracks, right, and actually edit video regions as well? Sorted. Then send the sound over to be mixed in Final Cut Pro. Perfect!
Hey, I like your thinking. Often times I come up with avant garde ideas like this and they get thrown due to "Workflow Issues", "Practicality Oversights", and "Get the Hell Out of this Studio". It's good to know that there are more like me.
Old 7th June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripple_fx1 View Post
If you'll let me collect autographs and tweet a whole bunch, I'm willing to provide craft services as long as you limit the shoot to one day. The compressor motor went out on the walk-in cooler at my cousin's restaurant, and he's gotta move about 1000 pounds of marinating chicken, tuna salad and cottage cheese before the end of next week.
Sorry, I don't eat anything or anything that comes from a mother, or has a face.
Old 8th June 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckbarlow View Post
and you'd better pull three all nighters in a row to finish on time, or you'll never work for free in this town again!

LOL. perfect!
Old 8th June 2010
kdm
Lives for gear
The iPhone 4 just came out so I can shoot and edit HD for you! They even have an app for cool sounds! I can have it done the day before yesterday since Apple says it "changes everything, again", so I guess that means "everything".

And you can have the iPhone when I'm done 'cause I don't have AT&T.

You can even have my credit spots as director, producer, editor, writer and lead actor - all I want is a chance to make it big by getting my name out...with...er...well if you wouldn't mind at least putting a link to my MySpace page when you put it on YouTube, or just follow me on Twitter, that would be cool.
Old 8th June 2010
Dear fantastic score composer,
unlike the above posters I really work for free. I mean that if you work with me it will be "more" free than with them. However I only accept work if it has to be done as soon as possible (possibly yesterday). Since graduating from film school
the day before yesterday I have worked on many home videos of cats playing. I am now a very well known in my building expert in colour correcting sound, and mixing pictures.
I can also shoot the movie with my Android phone, which as you may not know, is a professional device known for having more cowbell than the Apple consumer devices. However as I do not know how to get the picture out of my phone, I will accept to rent it to you for 9,999 $ per month so that you can take it to the various festivals to show your film.
You wont be able to phone with it though, my dad only got me a 30 minute talk time plan with it.
Old 26th October 2010
Here for the gear

ROFL... Can I be the relative of someone important? You know... that guy that just keeps getting in the way and causing everything to go way harder then it needs to be?! But ya can't get rid of him because he's related to someone important... I promise to do a good job at that!!
Old 26th October 2010
Lives for gear

subway tuna sandwiches anyone?
Old 26th October 2010
Lives for gear

We also won't need to record any ADR because the production mix will be great, we'll just need to to basically level some audio. Also, we're shooting for a sundance submission date so we need to turn it around in two weeks... oh, and the picture is almost finished.

We'll also need a trailer and M&E
Old 26th October 2010
Gear Nut

Cool

LMAO !!!

Sorry I missed this in June.
Old 29th October 2010
Lives for gear

If I put in 12 hours a day can I get a free slice of pizza?
๐Ÿ“ Reply