The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Blue Sky System One original version?? Studio Monitors
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Nut

Blue Sky System One original version??

I'm considering a second hand purchase of a Blue Sky 5.1 system, it's the original System One, i.e. the MKI 6.5 satellite speakers and the Sub 12 sub woofer.

I will have an opportunity to audition the system first, but just wondering if it's worth going for the older system? (I don't think I'll have a chance to audition any of the newer systems). I understand that there has been a MKII version of the Sat 6.5's, and an EXR version since the original. I believe the Sub 12 has stayed the same? (I find their product line very confusing, but as far as I'm aware that's correct...).

Presumably there are improvements with both, but if the price is good (I don't know yet) surely the older system must still be pretty good?

Any opinions and advice much appreciated, thanks.
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marzipan View Post
I'm considering a second hand purchase of a Blue Sky 5.1 system, it's the original System One, i.e. the MKI 6.5 satellite speakers and the Sub 12 sub woofer.

I will have an opportunity to audition the system first, but just wondering if it's worth going for the older system? (I don't think I'll have a chance to audition any of the newer systems). I understand that there has been a MKII version of the Sat 6.5's, and an EXR version since the original. I believe the Sub 12 has stayed the same? (I find their product line very confusing, but as far as I'm aware that's correct...).

Presumably there are improvements with both, but if the price is good (I don't know yet) surely the older system must still be pretty good?

Any opinions and advice much appreciated, thanks.
All the BS stuff has been good. If you like how it sounds and the system works perfectly and the price is good then good for you. The company has been very supportive when I've needed help, and the provide very clear instructions for setting up and calibrating the system, which is great if you are new to 5.1.

PhilipPerkins
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Nut

That's encouraging, thanks! I'm sure the older System One will be more than adequate for me.
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Yeah if you dig it then its good. I like the blue sky stuff for the money. My studio has the sat 5 set up in a small 5.1 room and it works great with the BMC Mk1 which should be whats included with the system one.

I havent had any shocking moments where my monitoring let me down.
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Nut

Cool, thanks, yes he will be including the monitor controller. My other option is that I currently use Digidesign RM2s as my main monitors, so I could build up a 5.1. system from them.

Some people seem to have made fun of the RM2's (I think because they say Digidesign on them?!), but I actually think they're great monitors. If I was in a bigger room I might prefer something like Genelecs (which I used for years), but working in quite a small space now.

I'm looking at a pair of used RM2's for $1700. This seems pretty cheap. Then I'd obviously need one more RM2. Then the PMC TLE1 sub is meant to go with the RM2s. The TLE1 is really expensive new, but I've seen some really good deals second hand, and they come up a lot on the classifieds. I think that'd be a pretty cool system. But it'd prob cost a fair bit more than the used BlueSky system, and I'd have to get a monitor controller.

Btw anybody know roughly what the price used should be for the original (MKI) BlueSky System One? I haven't seen many sales for comparison.
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Check out Blue Sky B stock on their web site. Latest models at about half price with full warrantee. They have been used at trade shows and demos. Mine were in like-new condition.

The new Sky System Ones have more sophisticated attenuation controls that makes them a bit easier to calibrate correctly. Don't know about any other differences.
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool, thanks, yes he will be including the monitor controller. My other option is that I currently use Digidesign RM2s as my main monitors, so I could build up a 5.1. system from them.

Some people seem to have made fun of the RM2's (I think because they say Digidesign on them?!), but I actually think they're great monitors. If I was in a bigger room I might prefer something like Genelecs (which I used for years), but working in quite a small space now.

I'm looking at a pair of used RM2's for $1700. This seems pretty cheap. Then I'd obviously need one more RM2. Then the PMC TLE1 sub is meant to go with the RM2s. The TLE1 is really expensive new, but I've seen some really good deals second hand, and they come up a lot on the classifieds. I think that'd be a pretty cool system. But it'd prob cost a fair bit more than the used BlueSky system, and I'd have to get a monitor controller.

Btw anybody know roughly what the price used should be for the original (MKI) BlueSky System One? I haven't seen many sales for comparison.
Where have you seen TLE1s used? What classifieds? I ask because I'm looking for one myself.

Philip Perkins
Old 30th March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
Where have you seen TLE1s used? What classifieds? I ask because I'm looking for one myself.

Philip Perkins
Haven't got the link but I saw one or two advertised on hi-fi forums in the UK, for around £1000. And I think one from Canada for $1500. I'm not looking to buy right now (prob gonna go for Blue Sky system anyway), so didn't look into it further. Also one sold on Ebay UK on 17th March for £800.
Old 30th March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggegan View Post
Check out Blue Sky B stock on their web site. Latest models at about half price with full warrantee. They have been used at trade shows and demos. Mine were in like-new condition.

The new Sky System Ones have more sophisticated attenuation controls that makes them a bit easier to calibrate correctly. Don't know about any other differences.
I can't see the B stock items advertised, but I think that might be because they're available to US only (or I'm looking in the wrong place).
Old 2nd April 2010
Gear Nut

Just going back to the B-Stock items, I think that part of the site is only viewable when you're in the US, because I just can't seem to get to it. I want to know what the B-stock prices are so I can get some idea of whether I'm getting a good deal on this second hand system in the UK...

Specifically can you tell me how much a Blue Sky System One 5.1 MKII system is on the B-stock? Seems to be $5400 or so list price, but Sweetwater are doing it for $4999. Does that mean B-stock would be around $3000? That's about what I'd be buying the 2nd hand MKI system for here in the UK. Hmmm...
Old 3rd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just going back to the B-Stock items, I think that part of the site is only viewable when you're in the US, because I just can't seem to get to it. I want to know what the B-stock prices are so I can get some idea of whether I'm getting a good deal on this second hand system in the UK...

Specifically can you tell me how much a Blue Sky System One 5.1 MKII system is on the B-stock? Seems to be $5400 or so list price, but Sweetwater are doing it for $4999. Does that mean B-stock would be around $3000? That's about what I'd be buying the 2nd hand MKI system for here in the UK. Hmmm...
I just checked out the site again and can't find the b stock link anymore. I would e-mail them and find out if they are still available.
Old 3rd April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
I just checked out the site again and can't find the b stock link anymore. I would e-mail them and find out if they are still available.
I e-mailed them earlier today too, so we'll see what they say.
Old 3rd April 2010
Lives for gear

IME,

I've been using a Sky System 1 mk I (2.1) for 6 or 7 yrs now: there have been 2 instances where a tweeter (they are a 'vifa', IIRC?!?) has gone south, and the first was direct from the dealer, the second happened here in the studio - the replacement cost was minimal and easily remedied.

My only real complaint is they seem to have a narrow sweet spot - I'm not used to having imaging so 'laser tight' that I can't move even the slightest from the sweet spot, but - then again, I'm not working in an 'uber-treated' room.

I see 2.1 systems going for as little as $1000 used, so - I think you should be able to pick up a full 5.1 w the BMC for around 3 g, maybe less.

FWIW, I've since added ProAc studio 100's to the monitoring environment, and am preferring them to the 2.1 system EXCEPT for hearing subsonic/low end info - the low end of the BS sub12 is amazing, and after monitoring on 2 ways for almost a decade, I realized what I was missing without having a sub - totally re-adjusted my tracking/mixing game...

Hope this helps,
Old 4th April 2010
Gear Nut

Thanks! So the second time you just had it repaired by a local or in house repair guy, without the speaker needing to go back to Blue Sky? Was it easy to get the replacement tweeter?

I guess in the UK around £2000 or a bit less for a MKI system should be about right (with BMC and SUB12), considering the UK prices are a little higher anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlugHead View Post
IME,

I've been using a Sky System 1 mk I (2.1) for 6 or 7 yrs now: there have been 2 instances where a tweeter (they are a 'vifa', IIRC?!?) has gone south, and the first was direct from the dealer, the second happened here in the studio - the replacement cost was minimal and easily remedied.

My only real complaint is they seem to have a narrow sweet spot - I'm not used to having imaging so 'laser tight' that I can't move even the slightest from the sweet spot, but - then again, I'm not working in an 'uber-treated' room.

I see 2.1 systems going for as little as $1000 used, so - I think you should be able to pick up a full 5.1 w the BMC for around 3 g, maybe less.

FWIW, I've since added ProAc studio 100's to the monitoring environment, and am preferring them to the 2.1 system EXCEPT for hearing subsonic/low end info - the low end of the BS sub12 is amazing, and after monitoring on 2 ways for almost a decade, I realized what I was missing without having a sub - totally re-adjusted my tracking/mixing game...

Hope this helps,
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks! So the second time you just had it repaired by a local or in house repair guy, without the speaker needing to go back to Blue Sky? Was it easy to get the replacement tweeter?
The first (sat 6.5) was problematic direct from the reseller - they sent a replacement right away: the second time I contacted BlueSky, and paid a nominal fee ($50 USD IIRC?!?) and replaced the tweeter myself - no hassle at all - done in 5 minutes.
Old 5th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Wow 2k go get it!

Not 100% sure - I think I remembered reading somehwere that the MK2 tweaters have protection where the MK1's don't.

I've been using mine for only two years and I love them. The guys at B.S. are super friendly and do what they say.
As far as I know auditioning isn't possible via dv247 or BS themselves, or is it Behringer that ditribute?

Best.

LEE G

Quote:
I guess in the UK around £2000 or a bit less for a MKI system should be about right (with BMC and SUB12), considering the UK prices are a little higher anyway.

Last edited by leeg1970; 5th April 2010 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: Spelling as per...
Old 8th April 2010
Gear Nut

Thanks, by the sounds of it if the tweeters do go it's quite easy to repair so I wouldn't bee hugely worried by that...

I'm a bit more confused now because I also just found out I have the option to purchase a new Pro Desk system also for around £2000 (from Europe), but it will have a 2 year warranty. This is the MKII system (but not the newest MKIII).

Obviously the Pro Desk is usually less expensive than the System One, but this Pro Desk will be MKII and have full warranty. Hmmm... I've also seen some reviewers preferring the Pro Desk to the original System One, but I'm not convinced by that as it's just one person's opinion. Any thoughts?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeg1970 View Post
Wow 2k go get it!

Not 100% sure - I think I remembered reading somehwere that the MK2 tweaters have protection where the MK1's don't.

I've been using mine for only two years and I love them. The guys at B.S. are super friendly and do what they say.
As far as I know auditioning isn't possible via dv247 or BS themselves, or is it Behringer that ditribute?

Best.

LEE G
Old 8th April 2010
Gear Nut

Just to clarify when I said "new" it's actually "open box"/"ex-demo", so may have some small cosmetic marks or whatever, but in perfect working order and with the 2 year warranty. Does sound like a really good deal though as well, just not sure if I'll be missing out by not going for the System One instead, which in theory should be higher up the product line than the Pro Desk...
Old 8th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Haven't used them myself - I have heard better reports on the system one's (obviously ) as you pay more for... For me it was worth spending the extra as I wanted to edit to speakers that have the clarity I deserve heh

Your choice of course.

cheers,

LEE G

Quote:
Thanks, by the sounds of it if the tweeters do go it's quite easy to repair so I wouldn't bee hugely worried by that...

I'm a bit more confused now because I also just found out I have the option to purchase a new Pro Desk system also for around £2000 (from Europe), but it will have a 2 year warranty. This is the MKII system (but not the newest MKIII).

Obviously the Pro Desk is usually less expensive than the System One, but this Pro Desk will be MKII and have full warranty. Hmmm... I've also seen some reviewers preferring the Pro Desk to the original System One, but I'm not convinced by that as it's just one person's opinion. Any thoughts?!
Old 3rd May 2010
Gear Head

blue sky system one satellites-speakers wont power up anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondschwin View Post
Yeah if you dig it then its good. I like the blue sky stuff for the money. My studio has the sat 5 set up in a small 5.1 room and it works great with the BMC Mk1 which should be whats included with the system one.

I havent had any shocking moments where my monitoring let me down.
I have the BS system one 2.1. Sadly both satellites speakers won't power up anymore. I've owned this system for 3 years.

Contacted with Blue Sky and told them this is not what you'd expect from a pro-audio monitor. They told me it are probably cracked of cold solder-joints on the circuit-board. It's made in China, may'be that's something to do with the built quality.

The importer over here in the Netherlands is only offering to replace the circuit-boards, don't mind repairing them he's saying!!
This will cost me 800 euro's in totall. And I'm asking myself why a importer is saying things like don't mind repairing them.
Richard Walborn of Blue Sky was very helpfull in trying to locate the problem. We yet have to see if my repairman will find that cold-solder joints were really the problem.

But I think I'm wright when I say a pro monitor should work for years and years without any problems of this kind.

Will
Old 1st April 2011
Here for the gear

hi,

I couldn't agree with Will more about the life expectancy of pro studio monitors.
My first pair of Sat6.5 MKI lasted 3 years of light/moderate use (low levels - up to 15 hours/week). I then had to replace both amp boards and both tweeters.
Three years later one of the sats won't power up, I need new tweeters again and the sub occasionally power's off.

Its taken ages to locate the problem. European dealer offers a 'upgrade to EXRs' deal but the shipping costs are prohibitively high.

Hoping to get spare parts to repair them and use for backup.

Will - How did the situation work out for you in the end? Did you get circuit boards?
Old 2nd April 2011
Gear Maniac

B-Stock B.S. are available in the USA only (if that's where you are?)

Lee

Quote:

Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

FWIW, I bought a new Blue Sky BMC for $1400 when I got my Sky System Ones, but recently bought a used BSS 9088 for $500 to tune my room with and realized that it can be used for both bass management and room tuning. I could have saved myself a bundle if I had thought of that in the first place. You can find new BSS BLU 16 for under $2000, which is about what I paid for the BMC and used 9088. I'm kicking myself for that one.
Old 12th April 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Macris View Post
hi,

I couldn't agree with Will more about the life expectancy of pro studio monitors.
My first pair of Sat6.5 MKI lasted 3 years of light/moderate use (low levels - up to 15 hours/week). I then had to replace both amp boards and both tweeters.
Three years later one of the sats won't power up, I need new tweeters again and the sub occasionally power's off.

Its taken ages to locate the problem. European dealer offers a 'upgrade to EXRs' deal but the shipping costs are prohibitively high.

Hoping to get spare parts to repair them and use for backup.

Will - How did the situation work out for you in the end? Did you get circuit boards?

Hi Alex,

My repairman fixed the cracked solder joints and got everything working again. He stated that he had to fix more than 20 bad solder-joints per monitor and it was a heck of a job...
Anyway, it's all still working and I'm glad to say I haven't had any problems like the problems you have been having.

The sub powering off sounds like bad solder-joints. Hope you get it fixed.
Old 13th April 2011
Lives for gear

Sometimes the vibrations from my sub cause the power cable to fall out, but the fix is pretty easy - walk over and plug it back in.
Old 19th April 2011
Lives for gear

The Blue Sky systems I've been listening to the last few years are in use in edit rooms and been subjected to who knows what kind of handling/mishandling, physically & electrically.
And they're getting old now.
Of those, there seems to be a lot of tweeter failures - but then I would suspect any editing system to be prone to high frequency abuse (notice the Tweeters are kinda poking out a bit). When I think about the 50 or so systems I know of, that have been moved and force feed signals that are ... well, maybe avoid an edit setup.

Only buy from little old ladies who listen to classical, and NPR.

bias alert = I want the resale market for old, err, Vintage Genelecs to go sky high.
Old 21st April 2011
Here for the gear

eoats - no abuse here, low levels, few hours, non-smoking.. although yes, sometimes I do use them for 'editing' as well as recording and mixing.

Considering how expensive it is for me to replace the BS tweeter (over $250 for 1 tweeter, including shipping within Europe, excluding VAT),
would it be possible to use another brand of tweeter in a BS SAT 6.5 ? ..

Last edited by Alex Macris; 21st April 2011 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: omission
Old 21st April 2011
Lives for gear

Blue Sky I believe will send you parts at least.

Genelec requires any repairs be done by them - no parts get sent out.
So shipping is a must and the minimum is like $300 to just have a look see.
Old 22nd April 2011
Here for the gear

Thank you for that piece of info.

Considering my next monitoring system, reliability and service center proximity will weigh in more than last time. I definitely want to spend more for the speaker and less for its transport.

In this case, because the failures reoccur every three years, and the whole system has gone dodgy and I have no guarantee it will serve me again reliably, it just feels like throwing good money after bad money.
Old 22nd April 2011
Lives for gear

That is the first I've heard of failures with the amps/solder joints - aside from replacing tweeters, I've not had any other issues with them (I have the orig. issue bought ~2004)

Another thing I take issue with is their mid-range - I've worked myself backwards in a few projects trying to understand what is actually going on in that 300Hz - 900Hz area. After years of trying to figure it out, I moved to ProAc studio 100's and haven't looked back. I use the BS 2.1's in my new reh./recording/live event space, and mix at home on my studio 100's now...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search