The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Essential plugins needed for audio post mixing (TV) Noise Reduction & Restoration Plugins
Old 27th March 2010
  #1
Here for the gear
 
Quixotic's Avatar
 

Smile Essential plugins needed for audio post mixing (TV)

Hi .
I'm new to all this so please excuse me if i stumble alittle.
I'm just wondering , what plugins are most used in post mixing for TV?
Is there a collective or bundle of plugins that i can buy? and which plugins are most important (which ones are always used).
Tx
Old 27th March 2010
  #2
Lives for gear
 
TVPostSound's Avatar
Compressor/Limiter, and EQ.
Old 27th March 2010
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Henchman's Avatar
The two most important ones I always use are, " good mood " and " get along with clients " plug-ins.
Old 27th March 2010
  #4
Lives for gear
 
TVPostSound's Avatar
Talent and chops!!!
Old 27th March 2010
  #5
Here for the gear
 
Quixotic's Avatar
 

Tx Post.

Can you suggest any particular brands? or will any do?
Old 27th March 2010
  #6
Here for the gear
 
Quixotic's Avatar
 

TX everyone.
I actually compose musical beds for shows like MTV Diaries, True LIfe , and commercial spots.
But as of late, a friend of mine has asked me to mix a half hour show for TV and I don't want to pass up on an opportunity.
I've been mixing music for many years, but thought that mixing for TV was a different beast all together.
Old 27th March 2010
  #7
Lives for gear
 
TVPostSound's Avatar
Since you said you are new to this, just use the Digirack EQIII, and DynamicsIII.
Old 27th March 2010
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Henchman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixotic View Post
TX everyone.
I actually compose musical beds for shows like MTV Diaries, True LIfe , and commercial spots.
But as of late, a friend of mine has asked me to mix a half hour show for TV and I don't want to pass up on an opportunity.
I've been mixing music for many years, but thought that mixing for TV was a different beast all together.
Yes, mixing for TV is very different from mixing music.
A lot if us also have music backgrounds.

If you have the waves stuff then you can do a good job.
If you know how.
Remember, QC can kick your mix back, for a variety of reasons.
So, know what you're getting yourself into.
Old 27th March 2010
  #9
Gear Addict
 

IMO, Waves Q10 [EQ] is a must as well as C4.

What kind of TV show is this? That may play a huge roll in what you want.
Old 27th March 2010
  #10
Here for the gear
 
Quixotic's Avatar
 

short docs for MTV
Old 27th March 2010
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Like Andy said, a sharp EQ like the Waves Q10 is really useful for notching out bad stuff. C4 is good for noise reduction (within reason). But in general whatever comps, limiters, reverbs and broader EQs you're using for music can work for post as well. Many people are content with the Digi plugs.

If you're doing MTV stuff you'll also want a powerful noise reduction package -- you'll be getting lots of crappy audio to clean up. Izotope is good and very affordable. Sonnox is also good, X-noise from Waves isn't bad but I'm not sure it's the best value these days. There are others, several threads here discuss them.

More than different tools though, it's a different craft than mixing music. Be ready to get a lot more surgical than you may be accustomed to.
Old 28th March 2010
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Like Andy said, a sharp EQ like the Waves Q10 is really useful for notching out bad stuff. C4 is good for noise reduction (within reason). But in general whatever comps, limiters, reverbs and broader EQs you're using for music can work for post as well. Many people are content with the Digi plugs.

If you're doing MTV stuff you'll also want a powerful noise reduction package -- you'll be getting lots of crappy audio to clean up. Izotope is good and very affordable. Sonnox is also good, X-noise from Waves isn't bad but I'm not sure it's the best value these days. There are others, several threads here discuss them.

More than different tools though, it's a different craft than mixing music. Be ready to get a lot more surgical than you may be accustomed to.
Make that "lots of VERY crappy audio to clean up".

Philip Perkins
Old 28th March 2010
  #13
Gear Head
 

Good comp/limiter + Good EQ its the "bread and water".
For me its also nice to have de-esser and exiter around. just for the extra touch.
Old 28th March 2010
  #14
Gear Maniac
 

Yeah if you are doing stuff for MTV a good noise reduction package is a must...


I think RX noise for 350 bucks by izotope should cover all you need for now.



If in doubt it seems that the waves platinum or diamond bundle is pretty much standard, at least at the places I have worked.


Decent 5 or 6 band eq
single or nice multi band compressor
some noise reduction
a decent verb
and a brickwall limiter


all you need
Old 29th March 2010
  #15
Here for the gear
 
Quixotic's Avatar
 

Smile

Thanx Everyone

I'll definitely take all of your replies into consideration.
Old 29th March 2010
  #16
Gear Addict
 

Izotope is a must have. Wave Arts also makes a great and affordable no noise package. Might want to look into the Massey L2007 for limiting as well.
Old 29th March 2010
  #17
Gear Addict
 
matt82aust's Avatar
 

I must say Izotope Alloy is a great all-rounder.

If you do not require TDM processing, it could literally be all you need (except for the verb..)
Old 29th March 2010
  #18
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
The two most important ones I always use are, " good mood " and " get along with clients " plug-ins.
So true. Without those forget about working in audio.

Unless you don't handle clients... in that case you need the "get along with your boss" plug in.
Old 30th March 2010
  #19
Lives for gear
 
mikevarela's Avatar
 

some sort of metering would be good as well. massey makes a great free one and the durrough hardware or software works great too.

it's always nice to know where you sit.
Old 30th March 2010
  #20
Lives for gear
 

Will thoose meters show boss annoyance? If so I wont dare ues them at work!
Old 31st March 2010
  #21
Lives for gear
 
mikevarela's Avatar
 

erikG-

no on the boss annoyance, but maybe the jumping shiny lights will lull them into silence.

Old 31st March 2010
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Jfriah's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
The two most important ones I always use are, " good mood " and " get along with clients " plug-ins.
I prefer the Waves "X-Suck" plug-in. I usually have to dial it down a lot.

Jeff
Old 31st March 2010
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Jfriah's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondschwin View Post
a good noise reduction package is a must...

I think RX noise for 350 bucks by izotope should cover all you need for now.
thumbsup
Old 31st March 2010
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Henchman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfriah View Post
I prefer the Waves "X-Suck" plug-in. I usually have to dial it down a lot.

Jeff
I don;t know what I'd do without it. heh
Old 31st March 2010
  #25
Just curious, how come the MTV production sound needs so much cleaning?
Old 31st March 2010
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Henchman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Kersten View Post
Just curious, how come the MTV production sound needs so much cleaning?
Because they don't exactly hire the most qualified people to handle the boom.
Old 31st March 2010
  #27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Because they don't exactly hire the most qualified people to handle the boom.
They use a boom now?


heh
Old 31st March 2010
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Henchman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post
They use a boom now?


heh
Hahahahahaha, exactly
Old 1st April 2010
  #29
Lives for gear
 

Seems sometimes they consider even a lav to be extravagant.
Old 1st April 2010
  #30
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post
They use a boom now?


heh




Hit it on the nose....




mostly camera audio or 1 lav that is distorted constantly lol



They dont even have camera men half the time, the producer IS the camera operator. so a sound guy??? please... lol
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Subversounds / Music Computers
14
dave6 / Music Computers
35
i51423 / So much gear, so little time
18
richmondj / So much gear, so little time
13

Forum Jump
Forum Jump