The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waves Noise Suppressor Noise Reduction & Restoration Plugins
Old 20th November 2009
Waves Noise Suppressor

Any reviews on this plugin yet?
I am def interested, yet hesitant due to the price.
Thanks, would like to hear from anyone using it.
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Addict

I've been waiting for someone to post this.

It LOOKS like a Cedar upgrade. I'll be demoing it this following week. I'll let you know once I discover more. If it does what it's supposed to, it's worth the money.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

It works pretty well. I just finished a 90m mockumentary.
Only noise reduction was WNS, I used Izotope RX audiosuite for the really tough sections.

My thoughts: If you cant afford a Cedar, then by all means use the WNS.
Old 20th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
It works pretty well. I just finished a 90m mockumentary.
Only noise reduction was WNS, I used Izotope RX audiosuite for the really tough sections.

My thoughts: If you cant afford a Cedar, then by all means use the WNS.
... so you're saying that as an offline process, RX is still better? But as a real-time process then WNS could be the new king?
Old 20th November 2009
The GUI makes me think that maybe there was some Cedar licensing in all this.
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
The GUI makes me think that maybe there was some Cedar licensing in all this.
Nope, they just stole it.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGaines View Post
Nope, they just stole it.
yeah they pulled a behringer. No shame lol. Of course a line of faders isn't exactly a ground breaking ui.
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm View Post
yeah they pulled a behringer. No shame lol. Of course a line of faders isn't exactly a ground breaking ui.
Yah, but the same spacing, even the same number interval and FONT!
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
... so you're saying that as an offline process, RX is still better? But as a real-time process then WNS could be the new king?
WNS is like a DNS or CAT 43 and CAT 40 for steady tone.
Snapshot automation worked as well as it should.
I used RX for the real heavy denoising as offline.
Old 21st November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Andy View Post
I've been waiting for someone to post this.

It LOOKS like a Cedar upgrade. I'll be demoing it this following week. I'll let you know once I discover more. If it does what it's supposed to, it's worth the money.
Looking forward to your review and everyones opinions. I am dealing with a movie which has a lot of "room tone" in the mid range area where some of the dialog content is also present in this frequency range. All and all, I am only able to do so much with flipping phase against room tone and filtering with EQ.

I will need ADR in many area's but if I am able to minimize this with WNS, I will look like a magician and safe a lot of time.
Thanks,
Eric
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Murder View Post
... All and all, I am only able to do so much with flipping phase against room tone and filtering with EQ.
Eric
Id strongly suggest stopping fiddeling with phase and working on removing it properly.
Roomtone by nature is pretty random/non cyclic so phase reversal will mostly just mess up phase and create comb filtering.

There are a lot of tools available, they all take time to master, none of them will give a perfect result the first time.
Old 21st November 2009
some opinions here

DUC
Old 24th November 2009
Gear Nut

Is WNS and RX the only worthwhile plugs out there for this? Anybody do a comparison yet?
Old 24th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew AE View Post
Is WNS and RX the only worthwhile plugs out there for this? Anybody do a comparison yet?
Z-Noise is also very good. But you need to remember to move slowly. In most severe noise cases, you are looking at 3-6 passes to really solve a problem. Hi hiss, Lows, Mids then spot NR.

Make sure you create alt playlist to save your last pass, just to make sure you don't kill anything important.

The thing to realize is that technology makes things easier for us now, but people did just as well with older versions of technology in the past. You just have to know the tools you are working with. I know two people that only use a Q10 and C4 for noise reduction and they've won oscars.
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Andy View Post
Z-Noise is also very good. But you need to remember to move slowly. In most severe noise cases, you are looking at 3-6 passes to really solve a problem. Hi hiss, Lows, Mids then spot NR.

Make sure you create alt playlist to save your last pass, just to make sure you don't kill anything important.

The thing to realize is that technology makes things easier for us now, but people did just as well with older versions of technology in the past. You just have to know the tools you are working with. I know two people that only use a Q10 and C4 for noise reduction and they've won oscars.

Thanks that's good to know. If I can pretty much do the job with z-noise what would I need WNS for?
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew AE View Post
Thanks that's good to know. If I can pretty much do the job with z-noise what would I need WNS for?
Again, it's what you're used to. I also know a lot of people that use their Cedar's to take off some of the Low Mid rumble under dialogue. WNS would do that same thing.

I don't see a reason I would ever use it to Notch out a sound, but I suppose if you do enough work, you could find a reason.
Old 27th November 2009
Gear Addict

It is a big step up from Z noise ...but tested it on real bad dialog here and
RX gave way better results. I have to test it a little further.

I think it can be very usefull in realtime on a good dialog. Which is something where RX is not so good at.

But anyway I am not so experienced in denoising dialog.
Old 27th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Used it on 7 channels of dialog for a short I just finished. It is great for general clean up, and is totally easy to use and automate. Also, it has like *NO* latency, pretty amazing, I don't know how they do it. If you have a heavy "problem" area, you'll want to dig for something like RX or whatever to help. I like doing things in passes and finding the right combination of plugs and processing for trouble spots. But I am very happy with the WNS plug, its just what we needed and fills in a gap in the vast selection of plugins. 2¢

&e
Old 4th December 2009
Gear Addict

Begin to like it more and more! combined with RX it is killer.
Think I will go mercury some time soon....
Old 28th May 2014
Here for the gear

Has anybody used this on music track?
Old 28th May 2014
Gear Maniac

Works fine on noisy music tracks.
Old 28th May 2014
rx - saveyourass plugin

i use wns few times in past, but success depends on source more than i expect.

never tried cedar. can anyone compare cedar vs wns directly?

e: just find some thoughts. looks like cedar sounds more natural, but theres no need to have it, if you know what to do with your rx and wns

Last edited by svmn; 28th May 2014 at 11:04 PM.. Reason: e:
Old 28th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmn View Post
can anyone compare cedar vs wns directly?

Yes.

But I do live broadcast, I use both the Cedar DNS 1500, DNS8 live and Waves WNS and NS1 plugins via a soundgrid server.

The Cedar is much much better, however the WNS and even NS1 is perfecty useable.

I'm happy to use WNS when no Cedar is available.

The Cedar DNS8 live is soooo fantastically good though.

(I use both Cedar and waves to reduce background noise, room sound and room reverb on live broadcast)
Old 29th May 2014
I thought the WNS was good until i heard the Cedar. I was wrong
Old 29th May 2014
Gear Maniac

+1 on Cedar and RX. The only time I turn to WNS now is when I need to tame room reverb slightly... (regarding taming reverb - I tried out the demo of Unveil right at the time of it's release and found it hard to dial in setting that didn't sound too harsh with verb removed, but maybe I just didn't spend enough time learning the plugin...)
Old 29th May 2014
I use RX3 dialog denoiser on ISDN returns for a live radio show. HUGE help in cleaning up sub-optimal radio studios...
Old 29th May 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I use RX3 dialog denoiser on ISDN returns for a live radio show. HUGE help in cleaning up sub-optimal radio studios...
How well does the RX3 dialog denoiser play with Fairlight? (Especially with regards to automation on a project?) Considering giving it a spin out here.
Old 29th May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsSka View Post
How well does the RX3 dialog denoiser play with Fairlight? (Especially with regards to automation on a project?) Considering giving it a spin out here.
I did have some early issues with multiple channel instances not reloading correctly, but that looks to be solved.
I don't ask a lot from automation other than bypass, mostly leave it in 'auto' to save time for long stretches of mild NR. If I jump over to 'manual', I'll just clip process the results and not take the time setting up a track/automation solution.
Old 3rd June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by inf0l View Post
+1 on Cedar and RX. The only time I turn to WNS now is when I need to tame room reverb slightly...
Agreed. For me it's about all WNS was good for (slight taming of verb), but now there's Unveil sooooo....

For noise reduction i found that by the time I'd dialed it back to the point i was happy with the lack of artefacts versus noise level, when I'd then hit bypass there was no difference. Unfortunately not to my taste I guess.
Old 3rd June 2014
Gear Maniac

Well obviously, YMMV, but WNS works great for me. Its operation is slightly different from Cedar though, and perhaps if you are working the controls in the same manner for both you might be disappointed. For dialog I typically set the left slider (overall threshold) to between -40 and -35 and then draw the six individual bands down either as a group or not. You can control the range of the bands by using the high pass/low pass switches and changing those frequencies. Also the "Suggest" button works fairly well once you have the overall threshold set. Anyway, there are plenty of options out there, try them until you find what you like.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search