The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
OS X DVD Player audio problem
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

OS X DVD Player audio problem

Hey all,
I just bought a brand new MacBook Pro (10.6.2) and have an audio issue while playing DVDs with the standard DVD Player application. There seems to be a sort of awful volume pumping going on although I disabled the "Dolby compression" in Preferences. Whenever there's a LF effect, the overall level goes WAY down (like 6 dB) and there's a long release time until it's normal again. I must be doing something wrong or there's a bug somewhere...
Playing the DVD through VLC is fine.
Has any of you experienced the same? It worries me because if a client watches a DVD from us he will think it's poorly mixed...
thanks
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Nut

If the decoder is downmixing a 5.1 track to stereo, then a "real" Dolby Digital decoder will always apply dynamic range processing to guarantee that a stereo downmix will not clip. If you have huge amounts of bass energy in the non-LFE tracks, then the limiting could be kicking in to prevent the downmix from clipping. The LFE is not mixed into the downmix and thus it will not cause this problem in a downmix.

There is also the possibility that 10.6.2 changed to use RF Mode decoding instead of Line Mode decoding. That would be a bad mistake on Apple's part if that is the case!

You can figure some of this out by trying these things:

1. Verify your mix does not have large amounts of bass in the main channels.
2. Listen on another Mac with Leopard instead of Snow Leopard.
3. Listen to the stereo line outs of a standalone DVD player.

Paul Neyrinck
Neyrinck Audio
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneyrinck View Post
There is also the possibility that 10.6.2 changed to use RF Mode decoding instead of Line Mode decoding. That would be a bad mistake on Apple's part if that is the case!

Paul Neyrinck
Neyrinck Audio
If as you say, your encoder defaults to RF overmod off (even though there's no control for it in the encoder), why is that a problem?

Round two of a discussion started years ago.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucelar View Post
Hey all,
I just bought a brand new MacBook Pro (10.6.2) and have an audio issue while playing DVDs with the standard DVD Player application. There seems to be a sort of awful volume pumping going on although I disabled the "Dolby compression" in Preferences. Whenever there's a LF effect, the overall level goes WAY down (like 6 dB) and there's a long release time until it's normal again. I must be doing something wrong or there's a bug somewhere...
Playing the DVD through VLC is fine.
Has any of you experienced the same? It worries me because if a client watches a DVD from us he will think it's poorly mixed...
thanks
Who makes your Dolby Digital encoder or what does your DVD author use? Encoding settings used?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear