The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I went to see 2012 and...
Old 16th November 2009
I went to see 2012 and...

I went to see 2012 and...was wondering how everyone else reacted to the movie.

My impression is that it was too long, the music and the dialog were well done but the special effects went all the way from FANTASTIC to what were they thinking? It is like 10 different post houses worked on the CGI and special effects and they were not on the same page. I also thought the characters were not as believable as they could have been and in some respects were almost like cartoons of real people. The Russian billionaire and his two kids were out of a comic book from the 60s. The acting was so so and I guess I got what I wanted out of the movie which was to experience it and suspend belief for 2.5 hours on a Sunday afternoon.

Anyway just wondering what others thought?
Old 16th November 2009
I'm interested in responses here as well. I'm not going to watch it until it's a rental...

I just can't watch the same director destroying the Earth ..... yet again....
This guy needs to do a Sci-Fi about a new Mars colony so he can destroy something different.

I watched Day After Tomorrow in NYC... the film was actually laughed at and heckled by the audience.... by the 3rd act, the theater was like sitting in mystery science theater 3000.

cheers
geo
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

A friend of mine in LA reported to me "the best comedy of the year"

So I'll wait for Netflix.

Old 17th November 2009
Like any Emmerich movie, go see the first 30 minutes then get up and leave. The fireworks in this movie are truly spectacular but by the end of the film I was snoring; it really was awful.

Interested to see that Harald Kloser managed to be Producer, Script Writer and Composer of 2012, all at the same time - he must have had a pretty hectic 2009 eh ? ;-)
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Head

I saw it last night and it sucks big time. You can tell the blue screen and the shots where they used video cameras.
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Nut

No amount of special fx in the world could've helped that movie. I saw it for the fx but it really wasn't worth it in the end. Almost 3 hours of my life were spent on that movie and I regret it. My time with my family is worth more.
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the warning!

Been wanting to see it based on the trailer sequence which I guess is just the best sequence of the movie with voiceover, so it doesn't really tell you much other than that they can put together a really badass 3 minute clip.

Speaking of the trailer... wow... the sound. I think if I heard that impact thud 1 more time, I'd die in my seat. But the visual was enough to keep it interesting.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

I loved it!

In one of the opening getaway scences in the car. I really had to cry from laughing!
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

I like good action movies like the Bourne series, but I don't particularly enjoy disaster movies. For one thing, they're always just too damn loud.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

I loved it.
Great fun.
No, it's not shakespear, but very entertaining nonetheless.
Old 18th November 2009
Please tell me that it does not suffer from the modern disease of too much music mixed far too loud?
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

I saw it last night at a guild screening here in NYC.

I really liked it. If you go in with the mindset that it's a over the top amusement park ride, that it was never made to change your life or make you smarter, and it's loud, you'll like it. I thought that it was very exciting, though a bit long. The FX were good, if for no other reason than the sheer scale and magnitude of the scenes. There was a lot of imagination in the writing and execution of the situations that the characters experienced. I thought that the sound was quite good, in both the editing choices and for for the size of the 'wall of sound.'

On the down side, the movie was about 20 or 30 minutes long, with a few extra plot lines that could stay or go, it really didn't matter. and although the acting and character development was good for a disaster movie, i doubt it will win any acting oscars.

In the end, i'd recommend to see it, in a good theater, for the fun of it.
Old 26th November 2009
if anyone thought it was too long at 2.5 hours, me and a fellow sound editor just went to see it the other day and got treated to a nice lil 10 minute interval in the middle when the cinema had a power cut. nice.

was nice to give my ears a rest though. kinda ruined the dramatic effects of the scene however seeing as yellowstone park was busy blowing sky high at the time.

did love that delayed whoooomph from the huge eruption in that scene though.

kinda reminded me of the tiny pause before we see the windows blow out after the power up "vrooom" in District 9.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear