The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dual-purpose dub room?
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Dual-purpose dub room?

Just wondering if anyone has a Dolby approved room that they use to record in as well as mix? I'm designing a 20x15 room and it seems to me that the 12' in front of mix position would make a great foley stage if I can keep the noise floor down in the room. Since I'll most likely be the one tracking as well as performing, isolation from the control room isn't really necessary.

Does anybody else work in this same capacity? Just wondering what steps in room design were taken to make for a good mix room while allowing for a decent recording environment.

I apologize for the similar thread I have running in the Studio Building forum but I really wanted to find out how many dub mix engineers and sound designers are working like this.
Old 15th November 2009
ruy
Gear Maniac

i'm not so sure about foley, but i've recorded some great sounding adr in mix stages...
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Nut
No. Hire a real foley mixer and foley artists.

Jack of all trades ...
Old 15th November 2009
I've recorded ADR, Foley, VO, even a guru group from Japan, and some overdubs from music.... if the room is acoustically nice and you don't have machine noise... Consider it just another space to work. For all these it's not just about the room, it's about the talent required to do it right.

cheers
geo
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

It's doable sound-wise, the only problem would be dust, dirt and debris.
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Also the car fender rattling during those deep sub moments!!
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

The problem with recording foley on a dub stage is that it generates a lot of dust which does not play nice with consoles. Also, the different surfaces and props can create acoustic problems and weird resonances and rattles.

Like Ruy said, ADR is fine.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

I've seen cloth tracks being done on a dubstage but yeah dirty pits on the dubstage would be crazy
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by danijel View Post
It's doable sound-wise, the only problem would be dust, dirt and debris.
Ha. Good point. Didn't even consider that. I'll have to rig some kind of protective curtain for messier sessions.
Old 16th November 2009
Good point!!

cheers
geo
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason kanter View Post
Ha. Good point. Didn't even consider that. I'll have to rig some kind of protective curtain for messier sessions.
If you use any dirt pits, there is no curtain that will keep the dust down. You could do hand props, carpet wood, tile, cement, but anything with dust would be a disaster to the equipment.
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sanchez View Post
If you use any dirt pits, there is no curtain that will keep the dust down. You could do hand props, carpet wood, tile, cement, but anything with dust would be a disaster to the equipment.
True. I guess there's still plenty I can do foley wise sans dirt.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear