The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Production Music and Sound Organizer Programs
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Addict

Production Music and Sound Organizer Programs

I'm forgetting the name of the program that most people use for organizing sound and music files on their systems. Wondering what other programs or personal systems people use for keep track of music and sounds on their systems and do you have any additional system for keeping track of the history of use, license terms etc?

Thanks in advance
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Soundminer is the one thats most commonly used to keep track of Sound FX, etc. files. Filemaker Pro is a database program that can help you keep track of the other stuff.

Cheers!
-Mike
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

I'd have to agree on Soundminer. There's a list of the various versions so you'll have to sort through to see what's important to you.
V4 for Mac

Though a lower cost (about $200) is Monkey Tools' Llibrary Monkey.

Library Monkey -- Audio File Management and Batch Processing
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Organizing files

I looked at Soundminer, but the guy who helped me set up my Pro Tools system showed me how to use the Workspace Window very effectively to search my SFX drive. I used iTunes to transcribe all my SFX CDs and allowed it to Find Track Names on its CD database - someone at each SFX supplier has typed in detailed information about every track in every library. Once Pro Tools had catalogued the drive, the Search (magnifying glass) function finds pretty much anything on the drive by name instantly, and brings it up in a window that allows auditioning and dragging. Cost? $0.

This may not be an effective solution for searching music databases, but it's a treat for SFX.

Sonny Keyes
Ricochet Audio
Toronto
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear