The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
preamps of 744 into digi 003 avoiding converters
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Head

preamps of 744 into digi 003 avoiding converters

Hey guys,
Firstly thanks for keeping forums like this alive!!!

I am going to be doing some recordings in a studio (foley, ADR mainly), they've got a Digi 003 so we could use those preamps but just thought that having a sound devices 744 we could use those preamps (which were also used during production, in fact the ones from a 442), my only concern here is how to skip the AD conversion from the digi 003 and take the conversion from the 744 digital outputs intact into protools (guess the converters on the 744 are better than the ones you find on the digi 003, can anyone clarify on that?),

Anyway my question is that how could i use the digital outputs on the 744 to go into the 003 digital inputs? the 744 outputs are BNC and the 003 doesnt have BNC inputs... can you get a cable that goes from BNC to SPDIF on the 003? is this worth it?
What you guys recommend?

Thanks
Vicente
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

You can switch the 744 to output SPDIF then use an adapter from BNC to RCA (or whatever digital input the 003 has) to connect to the 003.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente villa View Post
(guess the converters on the 744 are better than the ones you find on the digi 003, can anyone clarify on that?)
OH YEAH!
The pres and the converters will be so much better. make sure you clock the 744 to 24 bit / 48k and set the 003 to recieve the same and take the wordclock from external thru the spdif.

A cable like this would work:
Comprehensive | BNC Male to RCA Male Cable - 3 ft | B-PP-C-3HR
There are many better cables too, this is just a quick example.
Old 12th November 2009

Just curious, why don't you just use the 744 to record on?
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton View Post
Just curious, why don't you just use the 744 to record on?
Probably because it won't run Pro Tools
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Head

hey guys, thank you for the replies...

I was figuring out that that cable was the best and maybe only solution, I just havent seen one before and needed people like you to confirm it.

So it gotta be male to male...isnt it? then about the quality, what cable would you advice me to buy in order to keep/maintain the quality through? suggestions, websites

Then, I need a couple of cables:

1. BNC male to SPDIF male (from the digital output of the 744 to the digital input of the 003)
2. BNC male to BNC male (from the word clock output of the 744 to the word clock input of the 003

Is that right?

Rick, yes I just wanna record straight into protools to sync-ish some stuff like foley, looping and ADR

Salud
Vicente
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

You can simply clock the 003 to the digital in usig the 744 as the clock-master. No need to clock all machines seperately unless you have other gear connected digitally

So one cable is enough.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Head

You mean this cable is enough?
1. BNC male to SPDIF male (from the digital output of the 744 to the digital input of the 003)

And then setting up the 744 as clock master, is that option on the menu of the 744?

Thanks apple q
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
You mean this cable is enough?

And then setting up the 744 as clock master, is that option on the menu of the 744?

Thanks apple q
No. As soon as you set PT to clock to the AES or SPDIF or what ever you´re using input your PT will become the word-clock slave of the 744T. No need to ste this on the 744.

Connect the cable (BNC to RCA (if you´re using spdif) or BNC to XLR (if the 003 has AES input)), set PT to clock to the digital input and you´re done.
Old 12th November 2009

My Z System Digital Detangler uses BNC for the SPDIF connections and I have found these adapters to be excellent for using RCA SPDIF cabling. Very handy items to have a few of in your tool kit. For the cablimg I use Apogee premade rca/rca. Most of my cabling I construct myself but rca connectors are just a bit fiddly and I'd rather pay a premium and have it pre-made.
TecNec Cables & Connectors TecNec B-PF BNC Male To RCA (Phono) Female Video Adapter 75 Ohm BNC to RCA Adapters at Markertek.com
I have used these adapters for over ten years without a problem and it gives me the flexibility to use rca cabling which is compatible with so many of the units that I have to use for specific projects, including the odds and ends that clients might show up with.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Head

Thanks apple-q and Rick

All clear now,

I have got a SPDIF cable so I am looking for what you (Rick) have showed me in the link but the opposite so from SPDIF to BNC, any suggestions

Salud
Vicente
Old 12th November 2009

I'm not sure exactly what cable you have, but if you are trying to adapt a male BNC on your cable to go into an RCA input take a look at this.
TecNec Cables & Connectors RCA Phono Male To BNC Female Video Adapter 75 Ohm BNC to RCA Adapters at Markertek.com

By the way, if you are not familiar with Markertek they are a good source for a lot of specialty items. Don't think I could get by without a supply of their 7" quickclip ties!
Marker Quick Clip Cable Ties Cable Ties, Mounts & Clips at Markertek.com
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Head

As I said on my previous post, I am looking for the opposite RCA to BNC adapter (as I have got a rca cable male to male)
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Once you get cable sorted out (whichis really easy by looking at the two units, I don't see why you have to ask on a forum!) you need to be sure the Protools operator sets the clock sync to SPDIF, obviuosly.

I would also use the wordclock, since it is possible on an 003. I have 002 and no word input here!

L
Old 13th November 2009

Quote:
As I said on my previous post, I am looking for the opposite RCA to BNC adapter (as I have got a rca cable male to male)
Well, you've got me stumped as that's what I thought I gave you the link for the first time in post#10.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton View Post
Well, you've got me stumped as that's what I thought I gave you the link for the first time in post#10.
No brains needed for this:
RadioShack Gold Series RCA to BNC Adapter - RadioShack.com
yah, it is RS but they work fine...

L
Old 13th November 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
No brains needed for this:
RadioShack Gold Series RCA to BNC Adapter - RadioShack.com
yah, it is RS but they work fine...

L
I agree, that's the same type of adapter I linked in post #10 but vicente says he needs the "opposite". So I posted a link of the "opposite" but that's no good either.
That's why I'm stumped! Oh well, he'll either figure it out or he won't, time to move on.
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Head

Thanks loujudson

Rick, both your links took me to the same BNC to RCA adaptor... no worries anymore. lets close this discussion...

Thanks everybody and sorry to make this longer that it really needed to be...
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

But we can't stop now, we haven't begun to discuss the best kind of digital cable, or the merits of wordclock vs digital sync via SPDIF, the BLA mod, or, or, or, ... never mind.

L
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear