The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Digging my Wacom tablet for PT
Old 27th July 2010
Lives for gear

Trackpad 10.6/Snow Leopard only?

Give me a break, Apple...you're getting lame.
Old 1st August 2010
Gear Maniac

I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfriah View Post
Trackpad 10.6/Snow Leopard only?

Give me a break, Apple...you're getting lame.

+ 1. I was hoping to try this out cause I found out on Friday I have a cyst on my wrist (yes it rhymes) which is just an added frustration to the list of other hand problems I've been having

I'm experimenting with a Intuos 4 at the moment, haven't had time for much PT work yet, I'm really hoping I can get some sort of Plugin MIDI control happening, perhaps similar to what Kyma uses (That would make me a very happy man)
Old 13th August 2010
Gear Guru

Beeen using Wacoms for for about 13 years everyday in professional Photoshop use. Love them. Never have had wrist problems. Just yesterday I got a new 12X19 inch Wacom in the studio. So nice with Nuendo too, for drawing automation curves. I would be interested in knowing how the one poster that mentioned using it as a midi controller set that up in Nuendo.
Old 29th November 2010
Gear Maniac

does anybody know if the touch features in the bamboo can be used to scroll or zoom (with two fingers) in nuendo or cubase?
Old 28th September 2012
Gear Head

Reviving this thread...I´m looking for a PT controller, mainly due to wrist & finger pain caused by too much mouse.

I already have a Frontier Alphatrack but I don´t find it ideal for editing and I have seen both here & in studios some people who work with a Wacom.

Is it still popular or are there better controllers out there at the same price range (maybe up to 350 dollars)? Are the extra-features of the Intus (I think assignable buttons) worth the extra cash?

Also, did you totally replace the mouse with it or is it actually easy to combine both?
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

I use a trackball for most things. The Wacom is mostly for panning and editing waveforms at the sample level using the pencil tool.
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is it still popular or are there better controllers out there at the same price range (maybe up to 350 dollars)? Are the extra-features of the Intus (I think assignable buttons) worth the extra cash?

Also, did you totally replace the mouse with it or is it actually easy to combine both?
I tried Intuos, and found them to be too big and too squishy. The pens feel wonderful, because they're a little heavier and more durable, but overall the Bamboo line has suited me better for Pro Tools. Programmable buttons are terrific, and Bamboo has them. Mine are set to page across the edit window, switch to all volume view, and detach edit and timeline selections.

It's a total replacement for the mouse for me. Over the last year, however, I've found the ultimate combo:

-small Bamboo Wacom tablet on right (right-handed)
-Apple extended chiclet keyboard in middle
-Apple magic Trackpad on left

The trackpad gives me left-handed two-finger scrolling, and easy access to pinch zooms and right-clicks, etc. (and ambidextrous exercise for my weak brain).

Anyway, thumbs up on Wacom! WAY better than the mouse...
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

Bamboo Capture is what I would recommend in the current line-up for use with Pro Tools.
Old 16th August 2013
I know this is pricey, but I'm thinking about it for PT. 2 assignable scroll wheels, many programable soft keys.

Cintiq 24HD touch Pen Display | Wacom

I played with the 22" version and it was a little clunky with finger-touch. Some delay and hard to hit smaller onscreen buttons. The 24" is almost the same resolution so everything will be bigger, that should help. It's geared toward graphics people and pen use, but I want to use 90% touch.

I wasn't perfect but what a great feeling to be using the screen like a big controller I was thinking Artis series Comntrol+Mix, but that is almost the same price. I mix and do a fair amount of editing soooooooo

If I could only find a store that has it with PT running...
Old 16th August 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnOmix View Post
I know this is pricey, but I'm thinking about it for PT. 2 assignable scroll wheels, many programable soft keys.

Cintiq 24HD touch Pen Display | Wacom

I played with the 22" version and it was a little clunky with finger-touch. Some delay and hard to hit smaller onscreen buttons. The 24" is almost the same resolution so everything will be bigger, that should help. It's geared toward graphics people and pen use, but I want to use 90% touch.

I wasn't perfect but what a great feeling to be using the screen like a big controller I was thinking Artis series Comntrol+Mix, but that is almost the same price. I mix and do a fair amount of editing soooooooo

If I could only find a store that has it with PT running...
I would really try to find a way to test it out or borrow one or something.

I too was excited about using a pen right on the screen when the first Cintiq ones came out until I actually used one and didn't like it as much as I thought.

Good luck.
Old 17th August 2013
I really want it to work WITHOUT the pen... but most of the reviews say the (finger) touch is a little slow. The whole idea is to just GO without reaching for the keyboard/mouse/trackpad. Yes I'm going to try to find somewhere to try it. If I can't then maybe Amazon and make sure I can return it for 100% back.

Are you still using your tablet?
Old 17th August 2013
Gear Guru

It's funny that you mention it. I just ditched mine yesterday. No joke.

I use two computers. One has Pro Tools 8 on an HD3 system and the other is brand new computer running Pro Tools 11 just for making tutorials.

Up until yesterday, I had them in separate rooms. I had my pen on the older computer (used it for about a decade) and I use the new Mac trackpad on the newer computer.

When I put them together, it seemed stupid to have two keyboards and two mice or a pen and a trackpad so I found this utility called Teleport which allows you to use one set for both computers. So now I have the trackpad for everything. Which is kinda cool because the trackpad isn't supposed to work with older operating systems but it does this way.

It's really not that much different from what you're trying to do except I'm touching a pad instead of a screen.
Old 18th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don't want to rain on your enthusiasm for the Cintiq, but I tried one for fun one evening and realized it wasn't for me and Pro Tools. Too much of the screen was covered by my arm. The graphics guys love it because it feels like drawing, but I really don't think that metaphor applies to Pro Tools, which is much more choppy and jumpy in interaction.

Once you get used to a control surface, you'll be amazed how zippy you can be with hotkeys and grabbing faders. If I had to choose between Cintiq and Artist series, I would go with the Artist Series. Remember, a good control surface gives you dozens (or even hundreds) of virtual mouse-pointers.

On the other hand, everyone's needs are different...
Old 19th August 2013
That's exactly what I need to know. Too choppy and slow... were you using finger touch (not pen) on the 24" Touch model?

I've used the Artist Control and it's nice. I do a lot of selecting, moving, and editing as well mixing, so I thought a big touch screen would be awesome. But sounds like its not quite there yet.
Old 19th August 2013
Lives for gear

Sorry JohnOmix, I wasn't clear. I've only used the old pen Cintiq models. Never used a touch model.

Don't know where you're located, but Tekserve in NYC usually has one on display for hands-on testing.
Old 19th August 2013
Lives for gear

I use a tablet for some PT functions and it works really well for the particular tasks I need it to do. Doesn't replace my trackball though; I imagine it never will.

I've never tried one of the large pen-on-screen tablets, or large finger-touch tablets, but I've always kind of suspected that they would cause quite a bit of fatigue as the arms always semi-extended and semi-suspended over the work area. Plus, as was said above, working with the arms over the screen obstructs much of the view.

With interfaces like the Slate Raven, maybe touch screens will become more the norm. I still like physical faders though, and I do think the GUI of Pro Tools (to name just one app) lends itself to precise moves of hands/fingers on a mouse/trackball/trackpad rather than broader gestures of an arm over the screen....at least for me, for now.
Old 19th August 2013
Gear Guru

This is why I buy the smallest tablet and change the usable size to about 1/4 of the tablet.

This way you're never moving your hand. Just your wrist which is a very natural movement and cured my carpel tunnel syndrome completely.

Obviously, this technique can't be accomplished with a touch screen which is why I'm digging the Apple Trackpad. It mimics touching the screen but in a smaller area.

Why move your arms 27 inches when you can move them 1 inch? Plus your fingers can't get in the way of what you're doing.

Good luck.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search