The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Digging my Wacom tablet for PT
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by danijel View Post
Kyma, MaxMSP, Pd etc, have their own ways of interfacing the Wacom, which alow for full harware resolution vs the mere 128 steps possible via MIDI....
Using RPN or NRPN in MIDI gives 14 bit resolution or 16384 values. I use the knobs on my Andromeda synth when I want a high resolution controller. (All the knobs send NRPN data). Nearly every DX plugin or synth supports NRPN control. (VSTs much less often).

If a MIDI controller only has 128 steps, blame the manufacturer, not the protocol.

Anyway, I can't work without a Wacom pen tablet. Not as a MIDI controller but instead of a mouse. Every single post studio I have visited in the Netherlands had a wacom pen tablet as far as I can remember. It makes work so much faster and reduces the risks of RSI.

PS: The Wacom tablet is only a replacement for a mouse. I still use a keyboard and a control surface. (Icon, D-Command, Command 24 etc).

Alistair
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
The last time I tried a Wacom I found I didn't have the eye-hand coordination to make it work well for fiddly dialog and fx editing. But maybe a much bigger tablet and the newer software....

Philip Perkins
Actually I prefer not to have too big a tablet. That means you have to cover too much distance with your hand. (I always use it in tablet mode. Never in mouse mode). I alos like the surface of the tablet to have a 1 on 1 correspondence with the computer screens (or screen). The top right corner of the tablet is the top right corner of the right hand screen. The bottom left corner of the surface is the bottom left corner of the left hand screen.

That said, it does take a couple of weeks or a month to get used to it. When you first start it feels clumsy but once you are up to speed, you quickly become much faster than using a mouse. As someone else wrote, for editing it is about 2x as fast as using a mouse (and I have been using mice for nearly 2 decades longer than pen tablets!)

Alistair
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Very cool...I noticed a pref for lefties...yes!!!
As far as I know, all the Wacom tablets are ambidextrous.

Alistair
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Nut

Have anybody tried the on-screen tablet displays? Like this one:
Cintiq 21UX Product Overview

-Dave
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

+1 Wacom tablets for post!

(+1 everything Kenny Gioia said)

I have two tablets and take at least one with me wherever I go.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac

I work at a video production house and all the video post guys use Wacoms and after using one that was left in my room for a few days by a video editor, I demanded one for the audio room. I will kick and scream if someone steals this and leaves me a trackball.

The flat form-factor is nice. We have a very narrow keyboard tray that slides out from under the arm-rest of the console, and the tablet just slides right under, allowing me to work closer to the console.

The only two drawbacks are the lack of convenient scroll wheel, but it's easy enough to go to navigating by zoom or the Universe view of PT 8; and also having to put down and pick up the pen when going to and from typing tasks.

That's it. Drawing out edits, automation, heck, anything, is easier using the pen, mainly I think due to the location memory you gain. When you put your pen on a specific part of the tablet, the mouse goes to that part of the screen. No scrolling around to orient your cursor as with a mouse.

I use a wide-aspec tablet with two side-by-side widescreen monitors. There is no problem between the tablet aspect and the screen. You adjust to it very quickly. For two high-res displays, though, I have to recommend the larger tablets. I've used one smaller and older Wacom tablet (I'm not sure if this is due to the smaller size or older model) and it did not have the same resolution to sense the pen, so drawing was a lot less precise.
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Nut

I have recently bought a wacom tablet and love it except in pro tools when I tap the pen to make an edit point it highlights part of the region. I have to keep retapping carefully untill the cursor is blinking without any of the region highlighted. This is really slowing me down. What can I do?
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1073 View Post
I have recently bought a wacom tablet and love it except in pro tools when I tap the pen to make an edit point it highlights part of the region. I have to keep retapping carefully untill the cursor is blinking without any of the region highlighted. This is really slowing me down. What can I do?
Same here. And when you move quickly and forget to lift the pen high enough you end up kicking regions all over the place because you will ripp it with you. The wacom "thinks" you are still toutching the surface whle you are not.

When this happens in the finder you constantly drag and drop items in random unwanted places without noticing where you dropped them by accident.

Also on my machine I can not access the doc because the bamboo´s sinsitive area seems to end before the doc pops up. Sometines it works but it takes 3-5 tries to get the doc to pop up.

I also noticed that when PT freezes and you hard-quit it and re-boot the machine the bamboo will not work after the restart without a complete de-install/re-installation of the wacon driver.

Any tips to avoid this?
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Open the Wacom preferences and turn off double click distance or assist (nomenclature varies with different Wacom software) and play around with tip feel.

By the way the double click assists still affects the single click (pen to tablet contact) in that the assists affects surrounding "pixels" on screen and corresponding "touch points" on the tablet surface. With the assist on it creates a "halo" or ring of affected touch points and that sounds like your problem.

Hope this helps
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustan View Post
Open the Wacom preferences and turn off double click distance or assist (nomenclature varies with different Wacom software) and play around with tip feel.

By the way the double click assists still affects the single click (pen to tablet contact) in that the assists affects surrounding "pixels" on screen and corresponding "touch points" on the tablet surface. With the assist on it creates a "halo" or ring of affected touch points and that sounds like your problem.

Hope this helps
Hm, I think the issue is not about double-clicking. We are talking about single-clicking and then lifting the pen. The issue is that in PT click-drag into the timeline makes a selection. When you just want to put the cursor in a certain position even the slightest movement of the pen after the click makes a selection. Some times it´s just a couple of samples but this means that when you hit play PT will play only that tiny selection.

Pretty annoying.
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Sorry for the misunderstanding, I understand you now. I am sorry I cannot offer any other suggestions except a steady hand. Perhaps increase the tip pressure in the Preference Pane? I will try the same tomorrow.
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q View Post
Hm, I think the issue is not about double-clicking. We are talking about single-clicking and then lifting the pen. The issue is that in PT click-drag into the timeline makes a selection. When you just want to put the cursor in a certain position even the slightest movement of the pen after the click makes a selection. Some times it´s just a couple of samples but this means that when you hit play PT will play only that tiny selection.

Pretty annoying.
This is why I don't use my Wacom for everything, just those tasks it is particularly suited for. A hammer is a great tool for driving nails and it is actually possible to use it on screws, but when I'm dealing with screws I prefer a screw driver.
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

lol, i am having the same problem with single click! after months of trying to find some new device for editing i finally borrowed an old tiny graphire and have been using it to edit a new audiobook. for some things it's been really great, but for just trying to drop the cursor to play has been a nightmare. same with just clicking links in firefox. being able to pull out region handles (or whatever you call them) is so much easier and nicer on my hands. however, unlike gfx people who are using this to draw and keep the pen on the tablet most of the time, our type of use seems to require more 'floating' over the tablet which makes me wonder what kind of new RSI am i gonna develop with this new arm position. i've only been using it a few days and so far there is something cool about using it, but i'm not quite sure i like it 100%. i really want to get the intuos4 medium since it has the buttons and wheel. the small graphire i'm using is nothing but a tiny tablet and i'm really missing the scroll wheel and extra buttons from my kensington trackball. if i could use the intuos to map the horizontal scrolling and edit keys i'd be set! ...i hope...
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubivore View Post
lol, i am having the same problem with single click! after months of trying to find some new device for editing i finally borrowed an old tiny graphire and have been using it to edit a new audiobook. for some things it's been really great, but for just trying to drop the cursor to play has been a nightmare. same with just clicking links in firefox. being able to pull out region handles (or whatever you call them) is so much easier and nicer on my hands. however, unlike gfx people who are using this to draw and keep the pen on the tablet most of the time, our type of use seems to require more 'floating' over the tablet which makes me wonder what kind of new RSI am i gonna develop with this new arm position. i've only been using it a few days and so far there is something cool about using it, but i'm not quite sure i like it 100%. i really want to get the intuos4 medium since it has the buttons and wheel. the small graphire i'm using is nothing but a tiny tablet and i'm really missing the scroll wheel and extra buttons from my kensington trackball. if i could use the intuos to map the horizontal scrolling and edit keys i'd be set! ...i hope...
You will get used to it. It takes a couple of weeks to get fully up to speed normally. As far as RSI is concerned, I have absolutely no issues after a few years. I used to have very painful arms and shoulders when still using a mouse.

Horizontal scrolling: Just hit the edit window anywhere where there is no region and drag left or right to scroll the window. When scrolled just hit anywhere to deselect if you need to although usually you are either going to scroll further or edit something so you don't need an extra step to deselect anything. This all becomes second nature after a while.

Alistair
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Goddamit Gary! :-)

Now I had to tun out and buy one as well...
Worked with it in Nuendo today, and I can definetly get used to it. Some things are super efficient some things just stops me in my tracks, but I need to use it some more before I really can say where it improves and where it is not the best tool for the job.

But today I had to go home with the flu, I just hope its not the swine flu... Now my whole family is down and out.

I bought the Bambbo pen & touch model, pretty neat.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikG View Post
I bought the Bambbo pen & touch model, pretty neat.
As someone pointed out, a dealbreaker for some of us is having to set down the pen in order to use the right hand for anything else, and then pick up the pen again. I hope the touch thing is as precise as the pen (but I doubt it), and that we can get rid of the pen for good.
Please report back on pen vs touch thing once you figure it out....
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

I tried the Bamboo for a week but the random selections when you just want to place the cursor somewhere just drove me bananas.

This was my third attempt to get used to a wacom over the last few years. I guess I´ll just give up on it. Not my cup of tea.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I tried the Bamboo for a week but the random selections when you just want to place the cursor somewhere just drove me bananas.
Heh, I hear you. How many times I accidentally dragged stuff out of the dock, copied stuff here and there.
But still, it's nice to have the option of penning, and touching. What you can do, is actually limit the area that the pen works in. For instance for my little daughter, I open a drawing program like fireworks, and limit the pen action only to the document size so she does not go berserk with the pen.
Old 26th July 2010
Lives for gear

How about changing parameters of a plugin in Pro Tools? Is that easy to do with the pen? (or even with you fingers?)
Let's say I want to add 0.5dB to the high-shelf of an eq plug?
Old 27th July 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gie-Sound View Post
How about changing parameters of a plugin in Pro Tools? Is that easy to do with the pen? (or even with you fingers?)
Let's say I want to add 0.5dB to the high-shelf of an eq plug?
It's great for that.

Using it for that as we speak.
Old 27th July 2010
Lives for gear

Just set a long post-roll. If you make that tiny selection (I do as well all the time), it will still play when you hit, erm, play. Sounds a bit clumsy but I never use post-roll anyway, so why not?

Quote:

Pretty annoying.
Old 27th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
It's great for that.

Using it for that as we speak.
Thanks
I read in another thread that people had trouble controlling the Waves plugs with a pen, so that's why I asked.
Old 27th July 2010
Lives for gear

I tried to use Bamboo with PT, and I can honestly say, that this does not work for me. Perhaps I am used to a mouse, but I tested this tabled during a week or so, and I went back to the mouse.

But this is just me...

regards,
Kuba
Old 27th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuba_Pietrzak View Post
I tried to use Bamboo with PT, and I can honestly say, that this does not work for me. Perhaps I am used to a mouse, but I tested this tabled during a week or so, and I went back to the mouse.
What is it that you did not like? Could you be more specific?
Old 27th July 2010
Lives for gear

There is an Icon (D-Command), keyboard and mouse. I do not grab the mouse all the time, my hands "jump" between the board and keyboard/mouse. So mouse just lies on the table and I move it whenever I want. If you use pen, you need to "store it" in a dedicated "holder" or you need to put it somewhere, when you need to do something with the board. So this "jumping" between the board and pen/tablet is not so comfortable for me. I also do not like, when the right side of my hand (which touches to tablet's surface) sweats, so it becomes wet a little bit.

regards,
Kuba
Old 27th July 2010
Old 27th July 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by pethenis View Post
Just set a long post-roll. If you make that tiny selection (I do as well all the time), it will still play when you hit, erm, play. Sounds a bit clumsy but I never use post-roll anyway, so why not?
Thank you for that great hint, much appreciated!!
Old 27th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoons View Post
Wow; that would also be a cool option!
Specially since I just ordered a wireless keyboard.
will match up niceheh
Old 27th July 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuba_Pietrzak View Post

But this is just me...

regards,
Kuba
To be perfectly honest, most people DON'T like using my pen input device. They hate it.

I can't use a Trackball. It feels backwards to me.

It's a matter of taste.
Old 27th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gie-Sound View Post
Wow; that would also be a cool option!
Specially since I just ordered a wireless keyboard.
will match up niceheh
no numeric keypad though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search