The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
wav files with final cut pro on mac
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

wav files with final cut pro on mac

I'd like to find out if there is anything wrong with using 24 bit wav files for editing audio in final cut pro on a mac, instead of converting the files to aiff. Interested to hear any opinions.
Old 10th November 2009
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Unfortunately, that bug/"feature" of FCP affects both WAV and AIFF files. There is nothing wrong about using 24 bit WAV if your editor sets up the sequence and capture settings correctly. And as long as they stick to the same frame rate throughout the project ;-). I'm probably forgetting some variables here, but go for it. I export 24 bit BWFs almost exclusively, whether for FCP or Avid.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Just did a session where I recorded 24 bit audio of a Flamenco guitar player while the video crew simultaneously shot the session. They've made their selections, using the audio I fed one of the cameras, and are ready to edit (in FCP). Since the project will come back to me for final audio post, I'd obviously prefer to maintain the original quality throughout. If I give them the original 24-bit files to use for their final edit, will they be able to hand the edited versions back to me as uncompromised 24-bit files?
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy View Post
Just did a session where I recorded 24 bit audio of a Flamenco guitar player while the video crew simultaneously shot the session. They've made their selections, using the audio I fed one of the cameras, and are ready to edit (in FCP). Since the project will come back to me for final audio post, I'd obviously prefer to maintain the original quality throughout. If I give them the original 24-bit files to use for their final edit, will they be able to hand the edited versions back to me as uncompromised 24-bit files?
Yes, they can output a 24 bit OMF. Its easier if they use your audio from the start, saves you having to conform. I'm assuming you have a simple stereo recording if its a solo guitar player. If you have a multitrack recording, they would probably want to work with the mixdown - its easier for the editor. In that case you would have to conform after the edit.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
Yes, they can output a 24 bit OMF. Its easier if they use your audio from the start, saves you having to conform. I'm assuming you have a simple stereo recording if its a solo guitar player. If you have a multitrack recording, they would probably want to work with the mixdown - its easier for the editor. In that case you would have to conform after the edit.
I'll be giving them a pair of stereo tracks, and I was just going to ask them to give me back a pair of 24-bit stereo renders because I was under the impression OMF was limited to 16-bit. Thanks for bringing me up to date.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear