The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
When u can't find the FX u need?
Old 20th October 2009
Lives for gear

When u can't find the FX u need?

Have failed to find creepy creaking branches sound. I've got a scary haunted type forest that needs some. I've got access to all the usual libraries but can't find what I'm looking for. I don't want a very windy forest atmos with the occasional creaking branch. And I've tried editing some creaks from various floor boards and door and rocking chairs etc etc but as soon as I put it to pictures I delete it, any ideas?

thanks
Matt
Old 20th October 2009
Lives for gear

sounddogs.com
Old 21st October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahtao View Post
Have failed to find creepy creaking branches sound. I've got a scary haunted type forest that needs some. I've got access to all the usual libraries but can't find what I'm looking for. I don't want a very windy forest atmos with the occasional creaking branch. And I've tried editing some creaks from various floor boards and door and rocking chairs etc etc but as soon as I put it to pictures I delete it, any ideas?

thanks
Matt
You can make creepy creaking sounds using an old wooden palette held together with rusty nails. Insert a broomstick between the slats and gently pry to get the creaks. You have to find the right palette and the right slat, but it works. Two styrofoam cups placed one inside the other, gently rotating one makes a good creak, too. You may have to harmonize it down and stretch the sound a bit. Also, look in the library under wooden sailing ship creaks.
Old 21st October 2009
Gear Addict

findsounds.com
Old 21st October 2009
Foley would do the trick...

Kind regards from Belgium

Pedro
Old 21st October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggegan View Post
You can make creepy creaking sounds using an old wooden palette held together with rusty nails. Insert a broomstick between the slats and gently pry to get the creaks. You have to find the right palette and the right slat, but it works. Two styrofoam cups placed one inside the other, gently rotating one makes a good creak, too. You may have to harmonize it down and stretch the sound a bit. Also, look in the library under wooden sailing ship creaks.
Hehe, you HAVE done foley before, haven't you Gary? Good one!

-Jeff
Old 26th October 2009
Gear Addict

LOL. God I love foley. It is the best, funniest and one of the most rewarding jobs in this gig.
Old 26th October 2009

I have recently created an atmo which seems to be exactly what you are looking for: eerie creaking in a forest w/o any ambient noise mixed in surround, about 2.5 minutes in length.

I will post an audio example later today. PM me if you are interested.

Cheers,

Chris
Old 27th October 2009
ruy
Gear Maniac

foley

it will be hard to find what you are looking for in cd or online libraries, as you can see from the responses, foley is what you need. the trick is having fun and not looking for literal solutions, great foley artists use all kind of trash to create the most sophisticated sounds.

i remember that gonzalo gavira, a mexican foley artist, built a creaking box with an old leather belt attached to a hollow wooden box. you could pull on the lever and stretch the belt which would resonate with the box. we shot a whole sequence for a character in an old spooky house in just 2 passes. it would have taken me hours to edit library sounds for this with probably inferior results.
Old 27th October 2009
Here is a portion of the file in 48k 16bit stereo:

http://audio54server.de/files/CreakyForest-Demo.wav

It is a bit too quiet for laptop speakers and the like, so listen to it on decent speakers.

The original is in 5.1 @ 48k 32bit

Cheers,

Chris
Old 27th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsonic808 View Post
Here is a portion of the file in 48k 16bit stereo:

http://audio54server.de/files/CreakyForest-Demo.wav

It is a bit too quiet for laptop speakers and the like, so listen to it on decent speakers.

The original is in 5.1 @ 48k 32bit

Cheers,

Chris
Very nice. Might have to create own one of them. Thanks for the inspiration
Old 27th October 2009
What I did to create this was to record myself stepping on a creaky floorboard in my studio. Then I picked the best creaks, pitched them down a bit and did some surround panning. Then I added plenty of verb - the Altiverb Forest IRs are fantastic for this. I also created another version of this with a wooden room so it sounds like the attic of a haunted house.

Cheers,

Chris

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search