The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
H4n vs. Rode NT4 for ambient recordings
Old 26th June 2009
Gear Nut

H4n vs. Rode NT4 for ambient recordings

Curious from anyone that's compared these two mics for ambient recordings.

Reason I'm asking is that currently I use an H4n for ambience recordings, and I just ordered a NTG-3 and blimp (recorded through the H4n) for grabbing specific effects (mostly WIFO stuff).

So I'm just looking at what'll be a better investment for doing post sound recordings down the road. Going for a NT4 (which'll also work with the Rode blimp) for higher quality ambient recordings, a Sound Devices MixPre to get better preamps and a limiter on the NTG-3 for fx and wifo recordings (going into the 1/4" line-in on the H4n), or just investing in some libraries (specifically footsteps and vehicles) from Hollywood Edge.

Opinions?
Old 26th June 2009
Gear Maniac

I purchased a Rode NT4, and while the capsules are great quality and very "true", I really think I can hear phase issues when certain frequencies pass across the stereo field. I would like to try M-S instead for field use, but as it's a hobby, I haven't had the money to put something good together.
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

I use the Nt4 and the H4n also.. and the blimp.. I never use the mics on the unit. Nt4 gives a much nicer sound and plenty of top and bottom. For a low cost mic I think it's a great buy. The adjustable mics on the unit are a cool idea, but I've never bothered experiementing and it's tough to make the call on what is better when using headphones. The mix pre is a good idea, I'm planning on grabbing that also.

Libraries are also good to have, but they don't always cover everything you'll ever need.. i say get both
Old 26th June 2009
Gear Head

What does "wifo" stand for?

Wild Foley?
Old 26th June 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flix View Post
What does "wifo" stand for?

Wild Foley?
Yes. Bit of an odd ball between true Foley and true FX, but on indie films where real Foley sessions to spot everything are going to be more than they can budget, wifo can be a pretty good substitute. Or even with larger budget, for occasions when you want to record Foley sounds in the field and not need to tweak them as much to sound like the real location.

Basically just performing actions in the field from memory of the film. Or playing back off a laptop.
Old 7th January 2010
Here for the gear

Rode NT4/Zoom H4n

hi all,
I currently own a H4n as well as a Rode SVM. i use the two to record live band performances for a friend(who is one of the performers) mainly hard heavy rock music. camera used is a canon HF200. to add i own a juicedlink cx-211 that i plug my Rode SVM into and have rigged up on my canon. the H4n I purchased to use as a backup using the mics as well as grabbing a feed from the board and into the h4n. these shows are extremely loud and while using the rode SVM fed into the juicedlink and out to the camcorder, the recordings ALWAYS have some sort of distortion no matter what i do with the level adjustment and such. camcorder settings are set to auto and i adjust manually via the juicedlink trimpods and set the gain to MED. the trims usually end up around 10 o'clock. which i feel is not in a good place to be, but if turned closer to 1 o'clock or so, it peaks consistently. i am usually about 25 feet from stage, since this usually ends up being a good distance where it all has a good full sound. i started thinking maybe this is all related to the rode SVM not being able to handle the loud environments. the h4n does a good job in these environments and does not distort. as far as the camera/rode setup, even eliminating the juicedlink and going straight into the camcorder, it distorts. this is having the -10db damping on, and rolloff switch on as well. seems as if no matter what i do, this setup just doesnt cut it. any ideas? i was thinking of upgrading to the NT4 Rode, and giving that a shot? or am i just trying to achieve something that cannot be achieved within a loud hard/heavy rock and roll setting?? any advice would be great. i am fairly new to this/about 6 months time in, but i find it as interesting as it can be frustrating. thanks again!!
Old 7th January 2010
Lives for gear

Also looking at the Nt4 for the odd field recrodings.

Has anyone listened to the AT BP4025?

Musician's Friend
Old 11th January 2010
Lives for gear

"... level adjustment and such. camcorder settings are set to auto and i adjust manually via the juicedlink trimpods and set the gain to MED. ..."

Hi,
I don't know these pieces of gear you mentioned but it seems to me the auto setting on the camera can't handle thoses levels.
Also is the camera set to Line level or mic level?
Old 11th January 2010
Here for the gear

Rode NT4/Zoom H4n

there is only a mic level option within the HF200 camera settings and they are "auto" or "Manual". i have it set to "Auto" since i was controlling the levels via the juicedlink outboard preamp. initially i used the cam on "manual" before i had the juicedlink preamp and still had distortion even when i got the levels to where seemed OK. this is what led me to believing it was the preamp within the camcorder that couldnt handle the input SPL. and when i got the juicedlink outboard preamp and still had the same results, i started thinking it may be the microphone i am using.
thanks for any input..i appreciate it..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search