The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Inexpensive audio interface / D/A converters for audio post
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

Inexpensive audio interface / D/A converters for audio post

I am setting up a small audio post facility on an almost non-existent budget.

I am looking for an affordable and good sounding audio interface (firewire, pci or stand-alone converters) capable of 5.1 outputs + a couple of preamps for ADR & foley recording (however, D/A is more important than A/D at this point). I will upgrade kit as business grows (hopefully), but need something to start with, yet decent enough so that it wouldn't look too embarrasing in front of clients and could at the same time provide good audio quality. Rackmountable would be nice.

The setup is all native and pretty much in-the box. An 8-core Intel i7 DAW + Nuendo 4 + Tascam DAW controller + 5.1 monitoring. Sound design / editing and pre-mixing for film, mixing for TV/DVD, foley & ADR recording - that sort of stuff.

There have been a lot of other expenses at the moment - sorting out acoustics / space / etc so my main candidate at the moment is Mackie 400F since it's available for £350. So is Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 and Presonus FireStudio Project, but I hear the Mackie has decent preamps and very good D/As.

I could look into second-hand too, I guess...

Should I simply not bother at this price-point as either of these would be embarassing in a 'pro' studio?

I would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

P.S. I've been using Edirol FA-101 for a few years now so the replacement should be at least a slight step up in terms of audio quality, but I imagine anything these days is.
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

RME Multiface II & HDSP PCI Bundle | Sweetwater.com

this will give you a bunch of DSP, 2 mic pres and 8 TRS I/O plus some other goodies you may need down the line. I work with Nuendo and a similar unit.
Old 23rd June 2009
Gear Guru

if the RME stuff will work with your setup it is very well regarded....
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

+1 for RME!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search