The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
is there a (slave) software video player that follows timecode (mtc or smpte)?
Old 3rd August 2005
Question is there a (slave) software video player that follows timecode (mtc or smpte)?

hallo software gearslutz

I'm doing more and more ad/synchronization/scoring jobs lately - often with uncompressed video material I get on an external FW hdd.

I was just about to get a rosendahl bonsaidrive when I realised they had forgotten a fw/usb2 port where I can connect the external hdd's with uncompressed video material. Sad but truely useless.

So I wonder if there is any software based video player (I would run on a separate computer - PC, no Mac (I read about virtual VTR for OSX, it's something like that I'm looking for) - where I can connect the hdds I get from the film studios) that follows midi time code (generated by my daw sequencer host).

I don't want to use the video playback of my audio workstation since I need full screen video playback on two monitors and full audio processing power for my daw.

The software should just be a simple syncable multi format video player that follows my soundtrack's timecode - no gimmicks, no bells&whistles.

Any hints very much appreciated - thanks!
Old 3rd August 2005

the Sneaker Pimps used virtual vtr LIVE, for a long time, they were generally very happy with it!
Old 3rd August 2005
Smile Any names?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent
There are also software programs that will convert a spare Mac or PC into something that is fairly equivalent.
Kent, I already checked a similar product to the Doremilabs V1m (Rosendahl bonsaidrive) - I don't want to go this way, also for budget reasons. It's a future option, but most of the films I get are on external FW IDE-drives with PC-based uncompressed AVI material, not SCSI swap drives.

If you know any software products, please tell me some names. Thanks!

toolskid: I've already checked out virtual vtr as I wrote - I just don't want to buy a Mac when I can build a dedicated video server barebone myself that suits all my hardware needs. My problem is that I need virtual vtr (or something alike) for PC. If you heard about any PC-based software solution that does the same, any product recommendation is very much appreciated!
Old 3rd August 2005
Cool macintel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent
Unfortunately, I only know the hardware and Mac-based solutions. I know F-all about PC stuff these days. Sorry... :(
Thanks anyways.

Maybe I'd just have to get a Mac for fun before they turn into PCs too, next year. :-)
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

VIRTUAL VIDEO

Check www.audiocore.co.uk/vvideo.htm
Might be the answer
Regards Matti
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

You might want to check this out. It's called the Pyxis, by AV Media/Fairlight. You can contact Media Gear for more details, so I'll leave you a link to their page. From there you can go to the Fairlight page. The Fairlight site uses frames or something, so you'll have to navigate to Pyxis from there yourself. Download the brochure. Not sure what this costs.

Media Gear US/Products
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

On a movie scoring session I used a mac computer with a video card running digital perfomer with a MOTU midi inteface... worked like a charm.

It was three computers running all together.

MASTER: DP rig with electronic elements
SLAVE 1: PRO TOOLS HD with orchestra
SLAVE 2: a second DP rig with the hardware mentioned above
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear
I'd just go for a second computer running your favourite DAW software (or maybe a save disabled demo) with the video full screen synced to the first via MIDI.

Cheers.

James.
Old 16th August 2005
alk
Gear Nut
Virtual VTR, I have on an old G4 with an Igniter card, never fails, you can even scrub...

works great
Old 5th June 2007
Gear Maniac

Humatic Chaing Gang
Old 5th June 2007
Gear Head

Depending on your budget, buy a Tektronics PDR video file server......very solid.
Old 5th June 2007
Lives for gear

There's a program called xjadeo (xjadeo - X11 jack video monitor) which works great on Linux. it's supposed to run on OS X as well but there doesn't seem to be a download available on the site.

xjadeo plays a video file and syncs to MTC/MMC

If you've got an unused Windows box sitting around, you could try Studio to Go! - Home You just make the computer boot directly from the CDROM and then you can run the xjadeo program.

-Ben
Old 26th May 2010
Here for the gear

wow sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but this is exactly what I was needing solved.

I'm running logic studio on my current macbook pro, and I'm wanting to transfer MTC timecode to sync up to an older pc with ubuntu installed.

i have jack audio connection and xjadeo and all the appropriate files installed (i hope)

I'm just having no luck transmitting anything from my mac.

If someone could point me in the right direction I'd be a happy camper.

thanks for all the help
Old 22nd June 2010
Here for the gear

hi

you can also try MTCVideoSlave if you have no luck with ChainGang or xjadeo

http://www.symbiosonics.at/software/mtcvideoslave.php
Old 1st November 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreg View Post
hi

you can also try MTCVideoSlave if you have no luck with ChainGang or xjadeo

Software - MTCVideoSlave
im interested in MTCVideoSlave but the no one replying my email at [email protected]

how did you got your copy? hope the person is alive

thanks
Old 1st November 2010
Lives for gear

Stick to Chaingang, heh

Matti
Old 2nd November 2010
Lives for gear
Chaingang is not working on win7 ult, it got stuck on start!! i tried all options with no luck... i guess it was mainly built for mac.

im really looking for mtcvideoslave. but how can i contact with this person??
anyone here bought this? plz reply... :(

thanks
Old 2nd November 2010
Lives for gear

Cubase LE or any "bigger" Steinberg DAW can chase MTC and display video, and also double as dubber, additional DSP for sends etc.
Old 2nd November 2010
Lives for gear

As for Steinberg products, there is a system called VST Link, which allows the user to synchronize multiple Daws between each other.

Just like Satellite Link in Avid products.

Kuba
Old 2nd November 2010
MTCVideo Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by firubbi View Post
Chaingang is not working on win7 ult, it got stuck on start!! i tried all options with no luck... i guess it was mainly built for mac.

thanks
Hi firubbi,

I can really recommend MTCVS!

We recently bought 10 licenses for our facility ;-)

Gregor was always responding very quickly to my suggestions and feature requests, so I guess he is simply on holiday at the moment.

cheers,

Bernhard
Old 3rd November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

thanks
Tried contacting him through his Facebook account?

SYMBIOSONICS | Facebook
Old 3rd November 2010
Lives for gear
thank you all. i got his mail
Old 3rd November 2010
Here for the gear

Hello every body,

I'll also re-open this dead topic which is not so dead... I'm looking exactly from the same but for Mac Os X

We are having a tascam24/24 that send music and TC, I would need to sync it with some video, what should we use ?

Thank you for any help or ideas

Seb77
Old 4th November 2010
Lives for gear
mtcvideoslave rocks on my win 7 ultimate 64bit. check it out for a month

Software - MTCVideoSlave
Old 4th November 2010
Lives for gear

maybe im way off here but film composers (maybe post as well) use pro tools in another computer not only to deliver stems but also to offload the video from the DAW onto pro tools.
send mtc/mmc via IAC driver in the audio midi setup or using midioverlan.
thats the way i have it at least
ussually its not hard to find in studios an extra old mbox or some other interface.
im guessing avid's sattelite is out of the question here?
is it only because its only for mac?

anyways hope that helps.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
mtcvideoslave rocks on my win 7 ultimate 64bit. check it out for a month

Software - MTCVideoSlave
got my license for 2 pc thanks to Gregor.
Old 11th December 2014
Here for the gear

Weird MTC problem here

Hi there!

I don't know how to put this but... I've been trying to use my new w7 64-bits pc to sync to a video slave program (tried MTC Video Slave, it won't run, and Xjadeo, and it won't work either). I use Cubase 5.1 as a Master MTC system, and it sends MTC perfectly at my laptop... Yet it doesn't work when I try it at this other pc for no apparent reason... I'm using loopBe as a virtual midi cable, but I don't know what may be wrong since I'm using (I guess) pretty much the same configuration, same projects, same software and same everything.

On MTC Video Slave, the software doesn't even run after installing (of course, this doesn't happen at my laptop), I've contacted Gregor for support since I'm interested on buying a license.

On Xjadeo, the software loads and indexes the video perfectly, but when I start playing the Cubase project, Xjadeo doesn't do anything at all. Funnily, it works reasonably fine and in sync at this laptop. Again, same videos, same projects, same everything...

I've been wondering which may cause the softwares not to run properly at this pc but I found nothing. Both the laptop and the pc are Windows 7 64-bits, the pc even has a more powerful hardware than the laptop... Yet it won't let me do what I need.

I'm thinking it might be caused by some sort of internal conflict between the virtual midi cable and the PCI sound card (ESI Maya 44), which is also prepared for MIDI operations if an additional MI/ODI/O card is used. But still, it feels weird...

Anyone has a solution?

Thanks!
Old 12th December 2014
Lives for gear

I gave up on all the PC -based video playback apps, having bought ChainGang, MTCVS and some others, both WXP and W7. On the Mac side VVTR was too expensive and the company was a hassle to deal with, but Video Slave (Non-Lethal Software) has worked out VERY well (using MTC). I strongly recommend VS, they are very responsive to customers, were willing to talk to other companies about compato (in my case Colin Broad) and are updating all the time. Mostly in "just works"--a beautiful thing.

phil p
Old 12th December 2014
How does Video Slave perform in terms of reliable sync? Does it give a repeatable amount of latency on every playback instruction?

Rob Walker
Old 13th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermisonic View Post
How does Video Slave perform in terms of reliable sync? Does it give a repeatable amount of latency on every playback instruction?

Rob Walker
So far so good, within the limits of the accuracy of MTC in my case. I think there is a demo version you can test

phil p

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search