The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What audio format for radio adverts?
Old 11th April 2009
Lives for gear

What audio format for radio adverts?

Hey everyone, I am in need of a bit of advice.

I have been hired to compose the music for a radio advertisement, but I am not sure what audio format stations generally require the finished product to be delivered in. Is there a standard bitdepth/samplerate/fileformat that I should be submitting? Should I be doing extreme limiting to the file before it is delivered to the station?

Basically if you have any tips about delivering audio to a radiostation for broadcast I would appreciate it immensely! I am going to be calling the station to ask them directly, but I don't know if I will get a straight answer and I prefer to go into that conversation with some ideas in my head already regarding what might be required.

Thanks a lot!!
Old 11th April 2009
If you're just sending music, 44.1/16bit wave or aiff will work fine. (Unless HD radio, then you could probably send 48k). Also, most stations are taking finished spots in mp3 - 128/kbs mono; 256/kbs stereo, again in 44.1/16bit. Best thing is to check with station engineer.
-Bill
Old 12th April 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks a lot Bill!

I will do my best to get in touch with the station engineer, but in case I can't perhaps I will just make a CD with multiple formats.

Thanks again!
Old 12th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_McEnroe View Post
Thanks a lot Bill!

I will do my best to get in touch with the station engineer, but in case I can't perhaps I will just make a CD with multiple formats.

Thanks again!
I'm the director of ops for a radio station company with about 40 stations. Most are pretty flexible nowadays. If it's for a particular station, the "production director" is the person to call.

Most can rip/convert practically anything to suit their own needs.

Multiple cuts/ formats is okay, but you might confuse the traffic department. Just send a .wav file to the production director, account manager, or traffic director by "yousendit" or any delivery service and it's easier and cheaper than burning cd's.
Old 13th April 2009
Gear Addict

I've been sending 256 mp3's with no problems...mainly because mp3's are easy on email. Been wanting to send .wavs or aiffs but they clog up email, especially when sending multiple spots. Was using You Sent It but now see where Apple's Mobile Me iDisk offers a "sharing" option just like You Sent It. Works great and it's free as part of their service.
Old 13th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecontinental View Post
I've been sending 256 mp3's with no problems...mainly because mp3's are easy on email. Been wanting to send .wavs or aiffs but they clog up email, especially when sending multiple spots.
Almost all radio stations use mp3's anyway, do the waves are a waste. They also have mp3 "carts".

To the OP, if you are just doing music, then don't tie the hands of the mixer. Send them a healthy level, but not smashed to death.
Old 13th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
Almost all radio stations use mp3's anyway, do the waves are a waste. They also have mp3 "carts".

To the OP, if you are just doing music, then don't tie the hands of the mixer. Send them a healthy level, but not smashed to death.

If I'm sending elements that are going to be re-edited and mixed, I always send 48k 24bit wav or aif files and leave some dynamic range. They can convert them to whatever crappy format they use to broadcast with, but in order to stand a fighting chance of sounding somewhat decent on air, I always send the best quality I can.
Old 14th April 2009
Lives for gear

Remember, it will get smashed to hell on the air anyway (:

(Part of my job is to do the smashing).
Old 31st October 2010
Gear Maniac

hi guys,

i mix UK TV spots and deliver at -10db (6PPM) set up using an L2 - i've been asked to mix a radio spot - does anyone know the delivery specification for radio in the UK ?

thanks for any help...
Old 31st October 2010
Gear Nut

Generally deliverables for TV are a pain, but easy when doing radio, I've never had to deliver anything else than squashed to digital zero.

Most broadcast Systems (RCS Master Control being one) use some sort of compression algo, usually @ 256 kbit/s.
I always deliver 320 kbit/s MP3's. That way I always deliver a higher bitrate for the radio station to downconvert to whatever native format they're using.

However, OP was asked to deliver music that was to be used in a spot production, that's somewhat different. Like said above, I would not deliver a compressed format, I'd also go very easy on compression and limiting. leaving that for the guy doing the final production/mix.
Old 31st October 2010
Gear Maniac

thanks - so you deliver radio advert mixes at 0db like an audio cd ?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search