The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dolby Media Meter DAW Software
Old 7th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Dolby Media Meter

Does anyone know where (specifically) I can buy this?

I've seen a full page ad in Mix Magazine (for the past 2 issues I believe) saying that the Dolby Media Meter is "now available". I've been searching all over the net with no luck...

Also, does anyone know the street price? I know the MSRP is $795.

Thanks!!
Old 7th September 2008
Lives for gear

Also...

The specs on the dolby site give mac and pc requirements... the PC version is the only that includes pro tools as a requirement.. does this mean it's stand alone on mac?
Old 7th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Peterson View Post
Also...

The specs on the dolby site give mac and pc requirements... the PC version is the only that includes pro tools as a requirement.. does this mean it's stand alone on mac?
In the Mix Mag add, it clearly shows the DMM running as an RTAS Plug-In in Pro Tools on a Mac.

Also, a few people PM'ed me about where to find this product. Here's a link to a PDF of all the Dolby Dealers in the US:

http://www.dolby.com/uploadedFiles/z...rsUSCanMex.pdf

I hear that it was possibly released last week? I'll give my local Dolby Dealer a call on Monday.

Does anyone know how much of a system hog this is? I'm running a Quad 2.0 Mac with fully maxed out Pro Tools LE (rtas) Sessions as well has an HD System (which I have no doubt would be able to handle it).

Thanks!
Old 8th September 2008
Lives for gear

I have been running the Mac version for a bit..It runs as a Stand alone piece of software, as an Audio Suite plug in and as an RTAS plug in.

I haven't noticed it taking much in the way of system resources - however, I have been checking it against final work and comparing the results against our LM100 to see how accurate it is, since the SOftware doesn't actually measure LEQ(A) like the LM100.

So far, I have noticed that it seems to be almost as accurate as the LM100 over long term w/ Dialogue Intelligence enabled. Ran into some mis-readings with 1.0 Mono tracks however, but the 2.0 tracks measured the same the whole way down. (i'm still looking into this..)

And the logging feature is easier to implament that it is/was with the LM100..

Randall
Old 8th September 2008
Lives for gear

Randal/quad...

In regards to accuracy...
As far as I could tell from the text (do not have it yet) the DMM measures according to the newer ITU standard while the LM100 as long as it's not updated is still measuring LEQa.
So comparing the two (even if they are still close) might not yeild the expected results at all times. Only question is... Will the broadcasters update there LM100's etc? or will we now get a new mess of metering standards to ad to the mess we already have where every bloody TV channel has it's own spec...
Old 9th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikG View Post
Randal/quad...

In regards to accuracy...
As far as I could tell from the text (do not have it yet) the DMM measures according to the newer ITU standard while the LM100 as long as it's not updated is still measuring LEQa.
So comparing the two (even if they are still close) might not yeild the expected results at all times. Only question is... Will the broadcasters update there LM100's etc? or will we now get a new mess of metering standards to ad to the mess we already have where every bloody TV channel has it's own spec...
I asked the person I deal with at Dolby this very question. I am still waiting on an answer...

Randall
Old 24th October 2008
Gear Head

Thought I'd bring this up to the front again...

Is anyone else using the plugin successfully? I'd especially love to hear specifically about a Discovery use...

We're about to quote a job which will require LM100, and we're prepared to buy it if we get the gig, but if it's possible to substitute the Media Meter, why not save some $$$?

Thanks!

Kevin
Old 24th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikG View Post
Will the broadcasters update there LM100's etc? or will we now get a new mess of metering standards to ad to the mess we already have where every bloody TV channel has it's own spec...
According to CBS, NBC and FOX's latest spec sheets the ITU standard will be used for measurement. LEQ-A should be used if ITU is not available.
Old 24th October 2008
Gear Head

Thanks, nathand...

At least some specs are starting to line up with plugin version...
Old 4th February 2009
Bumping a thread that's a few months old out of curiousity.

Any uptake on this yet?

Tips? Tricks? How's it running on PT?
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post
Bumping a thread that's a few months old out of curiousity.

Any uptake on this yet?

Tips? Tricks? How's it running on PT?

Although I run it in Standalone mode, I've seen it work great on Pro Tools. Constant feedback in the corner of the screen. Mix your dialog and VO to desired number and then forget about it. Add music and effects to whatever level you want. Amazingly it really does not seem to change the meter's value (with Dialog Intelligence on of course).
Old 4th February 2009
Gear Maniac

I've been running it (RTAS) on a (below minimum req) dual 2.0 G5 and it works fine inside protools.

Having said that, I've mostly used it in standalone mode since every mix I've done comes out to the same number - don't see any need to be watching it all day long.

What I don't understand is the Audiosuite version. It actually processes (I suppose it's just DUPLICATE) the track to give you a reading. WHY??
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlongo View Post
Having said that, I've mostly used it in standalone mode since every mix I've done comes out to the same number - don't see any need to be watching it all day long.
That's great if the number you get is the number your deliverable is asking for.

But for people who have to mix for -23 one day and then -27 the next, feedback is helpful.
Old 4th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathand View Post
That's great if the number you get is the number your deliverable is asking for.

But for people who have to mix for -23 one day and then -27 the next, feedback is helpful.
I've read that the ITU spec is such that a 1db change in level will give you a 1db change in your loudness reading. I'm seriously thinking of never changing anything in my suite, just mixing everything to -23 and gain processing my mixes before sending them out.

Crazy?
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've read that the ITU spec is such that a 1db change in level will give you a 1db change in your loudness reading. I'm seriously thinking of never changing anything in my suite, just mixing everything to -23 and gain processing my mixes before sending them out.

Crazy?
Maybe Not.

I guess my earlier comment was predicated on the fact that the method you suggest was not a good idea with LEQm.
Old 16th October 2009
Here for the gear

does anyone understand how to use the media meter to meet general UK broadcast levels for commercials. I've had stuff kicked back telling me that it reached about -18Bfs for the short term. I really cant get straight answers out of anyone. If anyone has any specs could you please point me to them?

Thanks!
Old 16th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathand View Post

Calibrate your room.

If you're used to -27, then raise the room level by 4dB to mix at -27.
If you mix by ear!!!
Old 16th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

Crazy?
What about the peaks?? If you raise 1dB then limit, it wont comeback as 1dB higher, it might be more.
Old 16th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
Calibrate your room.

If you're used to -27, then raise the room level by 4dB to mix at -27.
If you mix by ear!!!
Is that a cut?

I'm confident enough to admit that metering is an important part of my work-flow.

Do I mix by ear? Of course!!!

...but I would be a little if all my meters stopped working.
Old 16th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is that a cut?
Not at all, many mixers depend solely on meters.
It was a poor assumption on my part!!!

But seriously, recalibrating works well for me.
Old 21st October 2009
Gear Head

Is somebody has some good links with technical infos about leqm leqa and dialnorm.

I'm trying to demistify the concept since a week and I'm digging a bit in the dark. The dolby site doesn't have that much info in it regarding technical aspect.

thx
Old 13th August 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I've been running it (RTAS) on a (below minimum req) dual 2.0 G5 and it works fine inside protools.
jimlongo,
Have you upgraded to v2? Are you still running it on a Dual 2.0 G5? I am considering getting v2 to run on my main rig which is a Dual 2.0 G5. Just wondering whether v2 will run as smoothly you are saying that v1 works on a below spec computer. The system requirements on Dolby's site don't seem to have changed from v1. For the record, I don't have v1 right now. This would be a new purchase.
Old 13th August 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
jimlongo,
Have you upgraded to v2? Are you still running it on a Dual 2.0 G5?
Yes and No, I've upgraded to v2 of the DMM - I had upgraded my system to a new computer last month.
Old 13th August 2010
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the info. When you had version 1 on the G5, did you have any problems at all? The specs don't seem to have changed so I am hoping that v2 will run about the same as v1.
Old 13th August 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
jimlongo,
Have you upgraded to v2? Are you still running it on a Dual 2.0 G5? I am considering getting v2 to run on my main rig which is a Dual 2.0 G5. Just wondering whether v2 will run as smoothly you are saying that v1 works on a below spec computer. The system requirements on Dolby's site don't seem to have changed from v1. For the record, I don't have v1 right now. This would be a new purchase.
Quote:
Thanks for the info. When you had version 1 on the G5, did you have any problems at all? The specs don't seem to have changed so I am hoping that v2 will run about the same as v1.
I didn't have any problems. Mind you I regularly used it only as an AS plug-in. I was able to use it as a real time meter the few times I tried, but I don't have extensive experience to say that it would work that way in a big session.
Old 13th August 2010
Gear Maniac

Fair enough. At least I know it will run. Maybe this will be the excuse I need to do the major MacPro/PCIe upgrade I've been holding off on.
Thanks again for the responses!!
Old 13th August 2010
Gear Nut

Just wanted to let everyone know that with v2 of DMM, you now have the option of monitoring Leq(A). It's been spot on for me on all my projects and all of the log information has come in extremely helpful. If you own v1, it should only be a $200 upgrade too.

Ciao.
Old 20th October 2010
Lives for gear

Media Meter 2 System Requirements

On the Dolby site, it only says ProTools AudioSuite or RTAS but no ProTools version numbers. Is anyone using it on ProTools 8.0.x or 8.1.x?

What about Mac OSX 10.6?

It does recommend Leopard 10.5.6
Old 20th October 2010
Gear Head

I've used it successfully with PT LE 8.0.3 (PC).

You should be able to get a demo license from your dealer to try it out and make sure...

Hope that helps,
Kevin
Old 21st October 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sanchez View Post
On the Dolby site, it only says ProTools AudioSuite or RTAS but no ProTools version numbers. Is anyone using it on ProTools 8.0.x or 8.1.x?

What about Mac OSX 10.6?
Yes, 8.1 with 10.6 and DMM2.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search