The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dolby Media Meter DAW Software
Old 21st October 2010
I have used it here with PT 8.0.4 and also Nuendo 5.
Old 21st October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlongo View Post
Yes, 8.1 with 10.6 and DMM2.

Thanks guys
Old 24th October 2010
Lives for gear

I'm using the current version as an insert on a dedicated track, fed from a send on the center channel of my dialog stem. The plugin window gives near realtime feedback of both short term and infinite levels that are accurate enough to agree with the hardware version used during layback.

FWIW. For me, mixing solely by ear only works for feature film work. TV specs require paying close attention to specialty meters to insure that you are within network specs. Sometimes what feels right won't pass QC.

I have found that there is no standard monitor level that works for all TV projects. It depends on the program content. A show with very intimate dialog will require a different monitor level than an action show in order to hit the correct dialog norm spec. For TV, I adjust the monitor level to sound natural at the specified dialog norm reading, whereas for feature work, I adjust the volume of the mix according to a standard 85 dB SPL monitor level. The two approaches are opposite of each other.
Old 17th November 2010
Lives for gear

Buggy GUI for Dolby Media Meter 2 2.1.2 ?

I just got the Dolby Media Meter 2 and am finding a buggy GUI when I open the RTAS plugin.

Every time you open the plugin, it's showing up in a different place on the monitor, you can't resize it and often the bar at the top where you can grab and move it is outside of the monitor boundries. I'm running 1024 x 768 dual monitors and have never had this issue with another plugin.

Also, when I add or take away different view options in the settings, it jumps around the screen.

Anyone else having this problem? Is there a software update and how do I access it if there is?
Old 17th November 2010
pmx
Gear Addict

it happens sometimes when pt is using a lot of resources. closing and reopening helps most of the time. also, having less metering options on seems to help.
Old 18th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggegan View Post
I have found that there is no standard monitor level that works for all TV projects. It depends on the program content. A show with very intimate dialog will require a different monitor level than an action show in order to hit the correct dialog norm spec. For TV, I adjust the monitor level to sound natural at the specified dialog norm reading, whereas for feature work, I adjust the volume of the mix according to a standard 85 dB SPL monitor level. The two approaches are opposite of each other.
We don't go by these strict specs yet, but getting ready for the day.....
Do you even change monitoring level as you go, from scene to scene, or do you find a comfortable level for the whole show while you do early leveling, and at least keep that same level during the final pass? (even if it doesn't feel right on a particular scene?)
It drives me nuts when I have to change monitoring in the middle of a mix (like, change the room, or suddenly realize my setup is off) - I loose my POV, but then, I wouldn't know, maybe this metering gives you the confidence to go on....?
Old 18th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danijel View Post
We don't go by these strict specs yet, but getting ready for the day.....
Do you even change monitoring level as you go, from scene to scene, or do you find a comfortable level for the whole show while you do early leveling, and at least keep that same level during the final pass? (even if it doesn't feel right on a particular scene?)
It drives me nuts when I have to change monitoring in the middle of a mix (like, change the room, or suddenly realize my setup is off) - I loose my POV, but then, I wouldn't know, maybe this metering gives you the confidence to go on....?
It changes with the project, the size of the room and other factors. I never change the monitor level in the middle of the show, however, because the goal is to mix it so the viewer doesn't have to change their volume.

I find that if a show has primarily very soft spoken dialog, a comfortable volume that meets dialog norm specs will be a little different from a show with mostly aggressive dialog or a lot of shouting.
Old 18th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sanchez View Post
I just got the Dolby Media Meter 2 and am finding a buggy GUI when I open the RTAS plugin.

Every time you open the plugin, it's showing up in a different place on the monitor, you can't resize it and often the bar at the top where you can grab and move it is outside of the monitor boundries. I'm running 1024 x 768 dual monitors and have never had this issue with another plugin.

Also, when I add or take away different view options in the settings, it jumps around the screen.

Anyone else having this problem? Is there a software update and how do I access it if there is?
I use window configurations to call up commonly used combinations of plugin windows, which insures that the windows always come up exactly the same. If you use memory locations to recall different track views, you can define which window configuration is recalled with each memory location.
Old 18th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggegan View Post
I use window configurations to call up commonly used combinations of plugin windows, which insures that the windows always come up exactly the same. If you use memory locations to recall different track views, you can define which window configuration is recalled with each memory location.

Thanks Gary. I found that upgrading from 2.1.2 to 2.1.7 fixed most of the problem, but the memory location window config is a great idea.
Old 24th February 2011
Gear Head

you can request a demo (ilok needed) and purchase at dolbymediameter.com click: Dolby Media Meter 2
Old 18th March 2011
Has anyone else found that 2.0 is far buggier then 1.x? I was out in LA mixing with it over the summer and it was buggy as hell but I attributed that to the old G5 the PT system was running on. I've got a quad core mac and this thing makes weird noises when I put it on a master fader.

I've never paid $200 to loose functionality......until now.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Old 18th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actualsizeaudio View Post
Has anyone else found that 2.0 is far buggier then 1.x? I was out in LA mixing with it over the summer and it was buggy as hell but I attributed that to the old G5 the PT system was running on. I've got a quad core mac and this thing makes weird noises when I put it on a master fader.

I've never paid $200 to loose functionality......until now.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Yeah, I wouldn't run it on an old G5....

As for noises, put it on a bus to nowhere.
Old 18th March 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't run it on an old G5....

As for noises, put it on a bus to nowhere.
See, this is ridiculous!

A: 1.x never had to go on a bus to nowhere
B: Even on a bus to nowere on a very powerful Intel mac running 10.6.6, it's making the program act buggy.

Is it not compatible with Waves plugs?

Can I downgrade and get my $200 back please?
Old 18th March 2011
Having the same issues here on Nuendo5 32bit on Windows7 64. DMM needs to be optimised!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search