The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waves L1 vs L2 for post, much difference? Dynamics Plugins
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Waves L1 vs L2 for post, much difference?

At this studio we're using the L1, is the L2 much better? Should they upgrade?

Thanks
Matt
Old 27th August 2008
I don't think there's a need to upgrade. I have both and use the L1 99% of the time.
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

I have always thought my mixes sounded better running through the L2. That said, I don't know if it's worth the upgrade. Instead I would check out something different like the Massey L2007 limiter. It sounds great, is MUCH cheaper, and comes from a company that really cares about the end user. Check it out.
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Head

Santacore beat me to the punch!

I love the Massey L2007. It is pretty versatile, sounds great and you can't beat the price. There is a free demo that allows you to try it out indefinitely with some preset, bypass and save limitations. Definitely worth looking into.
Old 27th August 2008
Looks like I'll be checking out the Massey!
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Addict

Back to the Waves question...

As the names imply, the L1 is an older tool and the L2 is better thought of as "different" rather than "simply "better." The L1 has slightly more audible artifacts than the L2, but some people prefer the sound. Some engineers like to use the L1 on individual tracks at a harsh settings, not only on the master bus, to get the "L1 sound."
The L2 is more commonly used on the master bus, since it's a bit more transparent yet has a higher latency.
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Check out this rather interesting quantitative data comparing limiters (inc L1 and L2)

Pro Tools Mastering Limiter Shootout: Part 2
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahtao View Post
Check out this rather interesting quantitative data comparing limiters (inc L1 and L2)

Pro Tools Mastering Limiter Shootout: Part 2
While those numbers can mean something, I'd be vary of opinion by someone who rates multiband limiters with marks.

Two years ago I mixed a live concert at a studio that has L3 - I was fortunate to have two weeks for this mix, and I can say that my breakthrough in understanding L3 came about 2 days before delivery. And I'm sure there are people who can ride it way better than me.
So, I don't believe he can have a valid opinion on those multibands unless he devotes at least 30*8 hours to play with them.
Old 16th May 2009
Lives for gear

I find L1 to be preferable to L2 and L3 99% of the time. I don't think it's worth the extra money for L2 and L3. Get Izotope Ozone and or the Massey one if you want some choices.
Old 18th May 2009
Seriously under-rated is the old Spectral Design "Loudness Maximizer" if you must use this sort of stuff....
It's based on the SPL Maximizer, and sounds far superior to either of the Waves L1/L2 offerings to me.
Old 23rd May 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilwilkes View Post
Seriously under-rated is the old Spectral Design "Loudness Maximizer" if you must use this sort of stuff....
It's based on the SPL Maximizer, and sounds far superior to either of the Waves L1/L2 offerings to me.
hahaha i agree...i've been looking for one of those things for a while now ... i like the sound of the SPL but that software version tends to distort too much ... hardware L2 sounds better then software .. to me .

louie
Old 23rd May 2009
Lives for gear

As a feature film FX mixer, I only use limiters to keep the peaks from hitting 0 fsd (+20), and that is only a concession to quality control personel who think that quality is all about preventing red lights.

To tell you the truth, once levels hit +20, just about any limiter will do fine as long as it has look-ahead capability and is relatively well designed. It isn't about audiophile considerations anymore, because at those levels your ears will be introducing as much or more distortion as the plugin will.

Limiters are blunt instuments that should be relied on only when nothing else will do the trick.
Old 25th May 2009
Gear Nut

Anyone using Sonnox (Oxford) Inflator? I'd be interested in reactions and particulars on how you utilize it.
Old 9th December 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggegan View Post
As a feature film FX mixer, I only use limiters to keep the peaks from hitting 0 fsd (+20), and that is only a concession to quality control personel who think that quality is all about preventing red lights.

To tell you the truth, once levels hit +20, just about any limiter will do fine as long as it has look-ahead capability and is relatively well designed. It isn't about audiophile considerations anymore, because at those levels your ears will be introducing as much or more distortion as the plugin will.

Limiters are blunt instuments that should be relied on only when nothing else will do the trick.
Completely Agree
Old 9th December 2011
Gear Maniac

Waves L1 vs L2 for post, much difference?

Just put the limiters on an aux and A B between them. Pick the one you like the best.

/Benny
Old 9th December 2011
Gear Maniac

Agreed that for film post, the levels are not pinging the limiter much at all and this can be generally ignored. For music production and delivery requirements that call the limiter to be active much of the time, it's probably a more of a concern than that.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search