The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why do you need a Bin System in a DAW ? DAW Software
Old 20th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Peterson View Post
I think the avid style bin system for an audio app is a good idea.. but I don't think it's worth anyone's R&D money to implement something that everyone has a work around for.

For example.. in nuendo, let's say I have a nice amb bed, multiple tracks in surround with plugs and automation etc. I like this bed and I know I'd like to use a variant in the future.. File/Export/Selected tracks. This function creates an XML file and a folder for the source audio. Anytime I want to pull up this amb again, File/import/track archive.. poof, there it is added to my session.. then just slide it into place. It'll retain all plugins, settings, levels and automation

Just like a bin would.
in PT you can export in a similar manner (via track selection) to AAF or OMF....
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

In the "future development Specification" of Nuendo's Mediabay, Layered SFX is included as a drag'n drop feature. Don't expect this for tomorrow, but it is "on the list".

Fredo
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

That's good to know.

Hmm. I'm told there is more discussion on Bins in the Digi beta forums than anywhere else. Interesting. Digidesign? Pigs will fly first, but we all keep checking the sky, don't we.
Old 5th May 2010
Lives for gear

Just giving this a gentle bump ...

Nuendo 5 has been announced and the Clip Packages is part of the feature list.

Clip Packages allow you to organize clusters of audio clips as one clip package file. After choosing an individual selection of audio files within the project in any constellation it can be saved as a handy package for later use. Clip Packages can be inserted to any other point in the project, archived in the MediaBay and can also be ported to another workstation, if needed.

Best regards
Fredo
Old 5th May 2010
Gear Guru

how does this differ from Region Groups in ProTools?
Old 6th May 2010
Lives for gear

I've never needed to work with region groups in PT other than using them as visible note tags, but - I don't take it you can search for them in soundminer & the workspace?

Mediabay is a "built in soundminer". Not 100% as versatile, but for me so far a good integrated alternative. Looking forward to the improvements.

I understand the new feature (only been announced, so I'm guessing here) to allow you to build heftily layered explosions etc., and "save" them in your sound library (MediaBay). Sounds nice. Reminds me of what sb. mentioned pyramix can do.
Old 6th May 2010
Yes Nuendo 5 has a new feature called "Clip Packages". You can save an edit across multiple tracks inc. fades and crossfades, and access it as a sound clip from Mediabay in any project.
Looks really useful.
Old 6th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1145 View Post
Yes Nuendo 5 has a new feature called "Clip Packages". You can save an edit across multiple tracks inc. fades and crossfades, and access it as a sound clip from Mediabay in any project.
Looks really useful.
Sounds exactly like the region groups in PT. The only thing digi missed is to store automation in the region groups. As soon as you transfer them to another session all your volume automation, pan and what not are gone.
Old 6th May 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mottl View Post
I've never needed to work with region groups in PT other than using them as visible note tags, but - I don't take it you can search for them in soundminer & the workspace?

Mediabay is a "built in soundminer". Not 100% as versatile, but for me so far a good integrated alternative. Looking forward to the improvements.

I understand the new feature (only been announced, so I'm guessing here) to allow you to build heftily layered explosions etc., and "save" them in your sound library (MediaBay). Sounds nice. Reminds me of what sb. mentioned pyramix can do.
If it is possible to audition them, ti would be pretty neat.

As to using it as a library tool, those of us in post are dealing with libraries that go up to a million or more sound files.... If it can manage that effectively - that is a nice thing.
Old 6th May 2010
Lives for gear

I like this, I have been saving layered stuff via the "export selected tracks" XML format. I have common things like rain for example with all my fav rain sounds in a basic blend that is all routed to a 5.1 buss included in the group. Anytime it's needed I can just import it and pop it in place.. time saver. Glad they are doing this.
Old 6th May 2010
Lives for gear

Hey, Digidesign announced bins only about 11 years ago.

In the meantime AVID has introduced RTAS to media composer. Maybe the day where I can actually do the sound design on a media composer without ANY conversions etc. is in fact closer than the day where PT will have bins und multi-project multi-user support.
Old 6th May 2010
Lives for gear

There's some more info here:

New Features :: Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH :: www.steinberg.net

It looks a lot like what the OP is asking for.

Thor
Old 7th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles maynes View Post
If it is possible to audition them, ti would be pretty neat.

As to using it as a library tool, those of us in post are dealing with libraries that go up to a million or more sound files.... If it can manage that effectively - that is a nice thing.
yes, you can pre-listen them and organise them (including every possible "tag" you can think of) in Mediabay.
Old 7th May 2010
Lives for gear

It also has an Ikis-Emulator (Wave Meters). Pretty neat.

Some things I find suspicious: "Smooth scrubbing" as a NEW feature? So they admit that this never really worked in previous versions of Nuendo.

The problem of Nuendo has always been the difference between practical reliability and announced features.

I know lots of Nuendo heavy-users that had huge issues when N4 came out. Issues with picture not running smooth. Scrubbing not smooth etc. etc. Things that weren´t fixed in years.

On paper the features all look great but wait till early adopters have installed it and tested it.

This is what has kept me away from Nuendo. ALL the cool features are worth nothing if simple things like sync picture are buggy.
Old 7th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q View Post
Hey, Digidesign announced bins only about 11 years ago.

In the meantime AVID has introduced RTAS to media composer. Maybe the day where I can actually do the sound design on a media composer without ANY conversions etc. is in fact closer than the day where PT will have bins und multi-project multi-user support.
at this point I'll settle for Clip based gain. Media Composer has it, steal the code.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search