The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Standard mixing levels for movie theater, DVD, broadcast TV, commercials etc
Old 6th April 2018
Gear Addict

That depends on the loudness spec the network you're delivering to uses. Most use a program loudness of -24 LKFS with a truepeak of -2dBFS.
Meaning the average loudness of your show, including spoken words, beds, etc.

You'll find out by inserting a loudness measuring plugin on the mix bus. Here are a couple, including free stuff:
KVR: instrument, effect and plugin host Loudness Analyzer or Loudness Meter

HPF: maybe, yeah.. it could bring spoken word closer to the music level, so music could hold some of it's energy..
Old 10th May 2018
Gear Nut

Mixing Stereo Documentary for a Cinema Viewing

Hi Folks,

I'm mixing a 1 hour doc in stereo for a cinema viewing. What levels should I aim for? Is R-128 OK? or will I need to boost/cut it from there? I'm happy to mix to R-128 compliance and then adjust it from there.

I'd really appreciate your views folks
Old 27th August 2018
Here for the gear

@ egoboo

I would suggest you don't mix towards R128 for a cinema mix. That spec is really for 25fps broadcast TV in Europe (format I work with mostly). You'll end up with a less dynamic mix IMHO.
Old 13th September 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkberg View Post
@ egoboo

I would suggest you don't mix towards R128 for a cinema mix. That spec is really for 25fps broadcast TV in Europe (format I work with mostly). You'll end up with a less dynamic mix IMHO.
curious, do you just mix at 85db !!! full dynamic range ?? or do you limit that in some way just so you do not exceed the Cinema Sound Systems ??

great info here thank you all ...
Old 2nd February 2019
Gear Nut

Hey guys, a couple quick questions about standards for mixing commercials -

1) If the spec sheet says -24 LKFS, does that typically mean +/-2? Or are there instances where it literally has to hit -24 for the average?

2) Are we basically robots as far as this? I get it if it's a consistent VO + Music, but one of the spots we're working on right now is mostly music and light foley/fx work with a couple lines at the end. This obviously ends up reading way lower than our others that are VO driving that are hitting -24, and if I make the change globally to hit -24 for this spot, the dialogue at the end is WAY too hot (obviously).

What are your experiences with these?
Old 3rd March 2019
Gear Addict

And here I thought I was losing it due to senility. Some audio guy at our church , which sponsored a southern gospel concert, made my ears bleed with the SPL of the sound system the band set up.

Afterwards he claimed that some industry standard was to go to 94dB and he only peaked at 90!

For my ears peaking at 85 is still way too loud.
Old 6th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighttwelve View Post
Hey guys, a couple quick questions about standards for mixing commercials -

1) If the spec sheet says -24 LKFS, does that typically mean +/-2? Or are there instances where it literally has to hit -24 for the average?
ATSC A/85, which is the CALM Act one that prevails in the US, is -24, give or take 2. Other standards have different tolerances: EBU R128, which is the European standard, is -23 LKFS, +/- 0.5 LU (or +/- 1.0 LU but only if you’re mixing live TV).

Quote:
2) Are we basically robots as far as this? I get it if it's a consistent VO + Music, but one of the spots we're working on right now is mostly music and light foley/fx work with a couple lines at the end. This obviously ends up reading way lower than our others that are VO driving that are hitting -24, and if I make the change globally to hit -24 for this spot, the dialogue at the end is WAY too hot (obviously).

What are your experiences with these?
When I mix to a loudness spec it’s almost always been episodic TV, where you meter the whole program and if you have the dialogue pass at -24, everything else does just about fit into place.

If you’re doing little commercial spots, these I believe are “short form” programs according to the spec, and in the spec it says:

5.2.4 Measurement of Short Form Content

A measurement of the long-term integrated (or average) loudness of the content’s full program mix over its duration should be reported as the Dialog Level of the short form content.

So just make sure your dialogue is -24 and make everything else sound correct relative to it and you should be done.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search