The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Contact mics.
Old 3rd June 2008
  #1
Contact mics.

Hi all

I´ve been thinking of getting a contact mic, for experimental recordings etc, when Im out of the studio.
I searched google for contacts and found the AKG c-411L. This is meant for stringes instruments, but is talked of, as a contact mic.
I thought this might could be used for my purposes. Any thing I should look out for when, getting this or another mic?

Thanks alot.

Best wishes,

Mikkel
Old 3rd June 2008
  #2
Gear Nut
 

I have the C411 as well as the predecessor C401, both with the phantomadapter in the XLR. Both work fine, but sound different, the C401 having much more bass, but less transparency. The C411 sounds a bit flat, or simply more neutral.
What I do not like about the C411 is, that it reacts to human capacitance (touch of a hand) with hum induction. I used to put the contact mics on small stones or glass or anything, to create rubbing, screeching and these kinds of noises. With the C411 this was not possible, because everytime you approach the contact mic, the hum started. I once sent my C411 back to AKG, because I thought, this would be a defect unit, but they sent it back, confirming, that it behaves as intended. Therefore I much prefer my old C401, which does not show this behaviour and sounds much more bassy.
I also had C-Ducers, but preferred the AKGs, because they are smaller and simpler to handle.

greetings
matthias
Old 3rd June 2008
  #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt-o- View Post
I have the C411 as well as the predecessor C401, both with the phantomadapter in the XLR. Both work fine, but sound different, the C401 having much more bass, but less transparency. The C411 sounds a bit flat, or simply more neutral.
What I do not like about the C411 is, that it reacts to human capacitance (touch of a hand) with hum induction. I used to put the contact mics on small stones or glass or anything, to create rubbing, screeching and these kinds of noises. With the C411 this was not possible, because everytime you approach the contact mic, the hum started. I once sent my C411 back to AKG, because I thought, this would be a defect unit, but they sent it back, confirming, that it behaves as intended. Therefore I much prefer my old C401, which does not show this behaviour and sounds much more bassy.
I also had C-Ducers, but preferred the AKGs, because they are smaller and simpler to handle.

greetings
matthias
Thanks alot Matthias.
Great info.

Mikkel
Old 4th June 2008
  #4
ahhhhh... tried searching this forum?

Piezo Frap mic advice Sounddesign
Old 4th June 2008
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by subbasshead View Post
ahhhhh... tried searching this forum?

Piezo Frap mic advice Sounddesign

Yes I actually did a forum search! Unfortunately I must have missed that thread
Sorry.

Thanks for helping out.

Mikkel
Old 4th June 2008
  #6
We have a contact microphone from C-Ducer... did great stuff with it... really worth trying...

more info on C-ducer - contact microphone, piano, sound reinforcement


Kind regards from Belgium

Pedro
Old 4th June 2008
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro_vde View Post
We have a contact microphone from C-Ducer... did great stuff with it... really worth trying...

more info on C-ducer - contact microphone, piano, sound reinforcement


Kind regards from Belgium

Pedro
Thanks alot Pedro. I´ll look into it.

Mikkel
Old 5th June 2008
  #8
Gear Addict
 

Hi there, I was the one who started the other thread.

I can tell you that the Trance Audio Products are nolonger available.
I contacted them a few times. They told me that the mics that
are giiod for sfx recordings are no longer made by them.

After hearing about this C-Ducer is the mic I am looking for as well.

They have many modells. I do not know which one to choose.
Every Modell seems to work for fx recording as their webside tells.
But which one is the best working?
I contacted them but I got no answer.


cheers tilman
Old 7th June 2008
  #9
There was one model of C-Ducer that had a frequency response 25Hz -> 50k and was stereo & phantom powered - it would be my pick.. but its also prob the most expensive:(
http://www.c-ducer.com/row/row_cps8_p.htm
The only thing I'm not sure about C-Ducers and accordingly would want to try one before buying is their size. As I understand it each contact element is about 12 inches long? This would potentially make it hard to use in some circumstances, although ten minutes playing with it would resolve whether thats an issue or not - how much of the contact element has to be touching eg say you want to attach it to a mountain bike frame? In comparison my little trance audio contact mic is only as big as my thumb nail....
Old 11th June 2008
  #10
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbasshead View Post
The only thing I'm not sure about C-Ducers and accordingly would want to try one before buying is their size. As I understand it each contact element is about 12 inches long? This would potentially make it hard to use in some circumstances, although ten minutes playing with it would resolve whether thats an issue or not - how much of the contact element has to be touching eg say you want to attach it to a mountain bike frame? In comparison my little trance audio contact mic is only as big as my thumb nail....
I found the size a big hindrance of the C-Ducers, as they need a fairly large area for taping it to. The AKGs just need the space of your fingernail, which worked out fine all the time. I fixed the AKGs mostly with this adhesive rubber stuff, and this was much easier to fix and remove than double-sided tape. just my experiences.

matthias
Old 12th June 2008
  #11
Lives for gear
 
danijel's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by subbasshead View Post
As I understand it each contact element is about 12 inches long?
They're 3 to 8 inches. You confused the centimeter value.
Old 12th June 2008
  #12
I'm getting a BARCUS BERRY 4000-XL Pickup (5Hz - 30kHz)
I'll post some samples once it arrives & see how it compares with the Trace Audio one...

Amazon.com: BARCUS BERRY 4000-XL Piano Pickup: Musical Instruments
Barcus Berry
Old 12th June 2008
  #13
Lives for gear
 
minister's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by danijel View Post
They're 3 to 8 inches. You confused the centimeter value.
They are indeed 8 inches. At least mine are. That is what it also states on their site. They have other models that are different lengths.
Old 13th June 2008
  #14
So I´ve been looking around for some other contact mics.

Would a mic like this one be considered a contact mic? :

Schaller Electronic | Oyster 721

Thanks alot for your help

Best wishes,

Mikkel
Old 19th June 2008
  #15
Hi all

I just received my Oyster (the 723 instead of the 721) yesterday, and have done some experimentation with it.
I must say that Im really positive about it so far. Did some Slinky recordings, my own heartbeat, and some other fun stuff, which turned out exellent. The sound is very neutral and the mic itself is quite.

It costed me 50 bucks .

I can really recommend this onethumbsup Will try to post some examples soon.

Best wishes,

Mikkel
Old 25th June 2008
  #16
Gear Nut
 

Mikkel

can i ask where you purchased the Oyster mic from?
Old 25th June 2008
  #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwestaudio View Post
Mikkel

can i ask where you purchased the Oyster mic from?
Sure.
I bought it from a local shop (aage.dk) here in Denmark.
You should get the info here: Schaller Electronic | North America

Best wishes,

Mikkel
Old 25th June 2008
  #18
Gear Nut
 

any reason you ended up with the 723 and not 721? availability? the 721 looks to be a stereo model - but i guess one could just as easily but 2 723s.
Old 25th June 2008
  #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwestaudio View Post
any reason you ended up with the 723 and not 721? availability? the 721 looks to be a stereo model - but i guess one could just as easily but 2 723s.
Yes, the shop only had the 723 available.
Yes I guess you could just buy two.

Be sure to use this model with a pre with a hi/Z input or a portable DI box if you are using it in the field!

Im using the mic through a portable DI, and using the mic/switch on my FR2 recorder. This gets me a nice input.

Best wishes,

Mikkel
Old 30th April 2009
  #20
Gear Maniac
 
Dumb-Ask's Avatar
 

Would you say that Frap is one of the best choices for contact mics? How much are they going for? They seem pretty rare.
Old 30th April 2009
  #21
the Frap?

i've never seen one for sale, ever, so i really wouldnt wait around for one to turn up...
cos if one did turn up on EBay i would imagine it would sell for a LOT!

i dont own a Frap so cant make a comparison....
Old 4 weeks ago
  #22
Here for the gear
Hi everybody, using the c411 on a small harp that I play, I get a low hum when im plugged into my interface. c411 needs phantom. as some people have mentioned, the hum goes away when I'm holding my instrument and then touching either the metal of computer or the interface. What's the solution to make a ground to get rid of hum? Also, would a DI box solve this issue live and at home? Thanks
Old 4 weeks ago
  #23
C-Ducers sound OK the FRAP was amazing. Trying to find a working FRAP is a lifelong obsession with me. Maybe someday I will find one in good condition and at a reasonable price point. I have a good friend who plays dulcimer and I would love to use it on her dulcimer for the recordings we do. Old topic but I am still looking. More info here https://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...p-info.973799/ and the Amulet from Trance Audio also looks GREAT. FWIW

Last edited by Thomas W. Bethe; 4 weeks ago at 02:47 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 4 weeks ago
  #24
Lives for gear
 

Original FRAP=Unobtainium. They are very fragile and the lucky few who have them do not rent or loan them out. I know at least one sfx recordist who considers it a key component of her work, and she has not been able to find a 2nd one in decades of searching. There just were not very many made. I actually met the designer once many years ago--I still kick myself for not buying a FRAP when I could have (they were very expensive even then).
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump