The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How do you like your VO booth; dead or semi-live
Old 10th February 2008
Here for the gear

VO booth; dead or semi-live? example included

I have a small post set-up and a lot of the productions I do involve VO's. My booth is about 9x12 feet and has basstraps in each corner, and reflection/absorption on about 30 % of the walls (ceiling completely covered, carpet on the floor).

I never had any complaints about the quality of my voice-overs, but when I solo the VO and listen on a headset, there's quite a bit of roominess in the signal. In a mix I have no problems with it. (chain = Brauner Phantom AE into UA solo 110 into PT). Here's an example of VO recorded in my booth (no processing, just mike-preamp- PT without plugs)

http://www.xs4all.nl/~pethenis/booth.mp3

In general, how do you guys like your VO's? And also, I really like my Brauner, but maybe I should get another mike that will pick up less of the room... suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited by [email protected]; 10th February 2008 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: example included
Old 10th February 2008
Gear Guru

I like a dead booth.

I'm not sure what you mean by "reflection/absorption," but if you only have it on 30% of your (most likely parallel) walls, I'm surprised your room doesn't sound a lot worse. Then again, with a big male VO, it might.

The other surprising thing is that you need headphones to hear it. Maybe your mixing environment needs an acoustic upgrade as well.

Your clients may not be complaining. But if you tighten up your VO (and therefore mix) sound, I predict compliments.
Old 10th February 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I like a dead booth.

I'm not sure what you mean by "reflection/absorption," but if you only have it on 30% of your (most likely parallel) walls, I'm surprised your room doesn't sound a lot worse. Then again, with a big male VO, it might.

The other surprising thing is that you need headphones to hear it. Maybe your mixing environment needs an acoustic upgrade as well.

Your clients may not be complaining. But if you tighten up your VO (and therefore mix) sound, I predict compliments.
Thanks for the reply, and you're probably right, I'm still busy getting the acoustics of the control room right. But it's not that I don't hear it at all, just a lot more on the headphones...
Old 10th February 2008
I prefer wwhat I call a neutral booth. One with no obvious reflections, no Room to it. Frequency response delt with across the scevtrum equally so that you get a nice flat response, no roominess to it, not that total "booth" feel either. Kinda hard to explain ither than a very very big booth, in a way.

cheers
geo
Old 10th February 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post
I prefer wwhat I call a neutral booth. One with no obvious reflections, no Room to it. Frequency response delt with across the scevtrum equally so that you get a nice flat response, no roominess to it, not that total "booth" feel either. Kinda hard to explain ither than a very very big booth, in a way.
In a perfect world, absolutely. The Simpsons, for instance, record on a stage at Fox that's so huge (yet neutral) that the raw tracks have a decay time of about a week. Gorgeous.

Peter, in his less-than-perfect world, has a 9 X 12 box. In his case, I vote for dead.
Old 10th February 2008
Lives for gear

i HATE foam covered booths!

parallel walls are a problem.

my booth is 9x12-ish...but the side walls are angled and so is the ceiling. the back wall has angled fiberglass panels. i installed removable panels on the sides and door. i can take them off for music recording.

i call it, as Geo says, neutral.

i just got a Brauner Phantera (kinda dumb name) -- GREAT MIC...through a Twin Servo John Hardy pre. ja mann!
Attached Thumbnails
How do you like your VO booth; dead or semi-live-booth_01_smaller.jpg  
Old 10th February 2008
Lives for gear

door view
Attached Thumbnails
How do you like your VO booth; dead or semi-live-booth_02_smaller.jpg  
Old 10th February 2008
Lives for gear

window (note panel above window)
Attached Thumbnails
How do you like your VO booth; dead or semi-live-booth_04_smaller.jpg  
Old 10th February 2008
Lives for gear

Tom,

I see you've got the tambourine, and guiro available, but where's the cowbell??

More cowbell!!!

Pat
Old 10th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
but where's the cowbell??
it won't FIT in the booth.
Old 11th February 2008
Lives for gear

I don't like a totally dead booth, but near field reflections are a definite buzz kill. What you are looking for is diffusion in a small space. Think about those skyline diffusers.
Old 11th February 2008
Lives for gear

I like VO STUDIOS, no real reflections or slaps, I hate VO BOOTHS: dead, sucks the life out of performance, resonant, people hate being in them. I like for the director to be able to be in the same room w/ the talent if they want (w/ headphones), it seems to make communication easier than talkback. My VO studio is about 10 x 10, and the vibe and performance is way better than the booths I used to use.

Philip Perkins
Old 11th February 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
door view
I like the panels! Build them yourself? Maybe I could use them on stands, so I can put them "around" the talent to deaden the sound.
Old 11th February 2008
Gear Addict

If a neutral booth isn't an option, a dead booth is better than a live one.
Old 11th February 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundguydave View Post
If a neutral booth isn't an option, a dead booth is better than a live one.
I guess my opinion ('better off dead') is a little skewed because I mostly do dialogue stuff with at least 2 or 3 people on mic at once.

In pretty much every smallish 'neutral' room, you can find a serviceable 'sweet spot' where it sounds okay, a single talent can see both the director and the monitor, and the door can still open.

But open up multiple mics, and the room ain't so neutral anymore. You're fighting leakage and the glass to begin with, and you don't need the walls fighting you too.

ps:

<<but where's the cowbell??>> <<it won't FIT in the booth.>>

Yes it will, Tom. But you have to take it off the cow.
Old 11th February 2008
Lives for gear

I would not consider 9 by 12 a small VO booth, not large either..
Have seen some booths that are 6' by 7' and all walls and ceiling were 100% treated.
Old 11th February 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:

Now thats funny
Old 11th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I like the panels! Build them yourself? Maybe I could use them on stands, so I can put them "around" the talent to deaden the sound.
Thanks. They are nice.

i had my Studio Builder build them. He and his carpenter are top notch. Better to have them do it right, plus, i don't have the time.

Gobos may be something you want.

take a look at Studio Traps or Quick Sound field

ASC Acoustic Products for Control Room and Mix Environments
Old 11th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

THANKS! ya loin something new everyday on the internets......

(must be because in Minnesota, we worship cows)
Old 11th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
ja mann!
Isnt it "yaa shoor you betcha" in Minnesota???

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search