The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help Removing Wind Noise
Old 7th January 2008
Lives for gear

Smile Help Removing Wind Noise

What is the best plug in you've found for taming or getting rid of wind noise?

Thnx in advance!
Old 7th January 2008
Lives for gear

waves C4
Old 8th January 2008
Lives for gear

if you are cleaning a short dialog clip, take your favorite low cut filter, cut off everything below voice (search between 90 and 180Hz) and then automate the cutoff frequency manually. whenever there is a wind hit, raise the freq somewhat, and immediately pull it back after it's gone.
if you have to make a quick setting for a long material, cut off as high as you can, without damaging the voice too badly, and then use a multiband compressor (like gsilbers suggested) to compress the low frequencies of the wind whenever they pop up.
Old 18th January 2008
Gear Addict

The only surefire way to remove wind noise from a take is to find the offending section(s) in appropriate alternate takes and piece together a clean Frankenstein. It can be a slow and tedious process, but if you can pull it off this way, you won't be surprised by low frequency artifacts when you get to the mix room (which undoubtedly has more honest lows than does your cutting room). Also, a successful fix built from alts won't compromise your lows the way a filter does.
Still, in a pinch, I use a high pass as described.
Old 19th January 2008
Lives for gear

I've had moderate success with WaveArts new noise reduction bundle. I've used the Waves NR and WaveArts is easier and more effective (for me).

I also have Voxengo NoiseRedu (very precise but my least favorite).

People talk about CEDAR plugins on SADIE systems but they don't impress me based on personal experience. I outsourced a critical windy clip to get better results from a CEDAR using professional and the work was less quality than my efforts on WaveArts. Could be user error but I doubt it. I'm more of the opinion that the modern native VST processors are just as effective.

check it out....
Wave Arts Master Restoration
Old 19th January 2008
Lives for gear

I recently got Izotope RX and have been fairly blown away by it (accidental pun). On a current project, I was able to virtually eliminate some serious traffic rumble on a scene shot on a freeway overpass in Jerusalem, with the voice track remaining artifact-free and more than acceptable. This is more steady-state than wind noise, of course. The software was also very effective at removing hiss, but a bit less so at removing intermittent body mic crunches.
Old 20th January 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks for the suggestions guys. As always it's best to eliminate it at the source. I'm off to buy a high quality wind screen...
Old 23rd January 2008
Izotope RX is great, it can highlight the spectrum of the of wind distortion and surgically replace, repair or/decrease the level of the offending frequencies.
Old 23rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenovice View Post
People talk about CEDAR plugins on SADIE systems but they don't impress me based on personal experience. I outsourced a critical windy clip to get better results from a CEDAR using professional and the work was less quality than my efforts on WaveArts. Could be user error but I doubt it. I'm more of the opinion that the modern native VST processors are just as effective.
Not all CEDAR plugins are available for SADIE. In fact, the CEDAR algorithm most suited for wind removal is the DNS, which comes as hardware unit in a few versions, or as software on the Cedar Cambridge system. It was designed with removing 'location recording noise' from speech in mind. This includes wind, rain, passing cars, and other noises.
Old 23rd January 2008
Lives for gear

aside from CEDAR Audio Ltd: Audio Restoration Systems

do you know of any other links or other info for the DNS1500.... I'm curious how much something like this costs but can't find it via Google.
Old 23rd January 2008
Lives for gear

The DNS-1500 is the recent replacement of the DNS-1000. A Google search for "Cedar DNS-1000" will bring up a lot more info.
Main difference is that the DNS-1500 supports 96kHz audio, while the DNS-1000 tops at 48kHz.
There also now is a DNS-3000, fully automatable with motorised faders and ProTools integration. At last, there's the DNS-2000, a 1U rack DSP, controlled from within ProTools.
Old 12th August 2009
Lives for gear

For those of us without the plugins mentioned, what about some kind of de-essing buss/sidechain scheme that ducks the specific frequency- this recording I'm trying to clean up has "wind" noise but if's from the speaker's mouth into a horrible $2 computer mic:
Attached Files

out of control noise.wav (1.24 MB, 4427 views)

Old 12th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeltaM View Post
Not all CEDAR plugins are available for SADIE. In fact, the CEDAR algorithm most suited for wind removal is the DNS, which comes as hardware unit in a few versions, or as software on the Cedar Cambridge system. It was designed with removing 'location recording noise' from speech in mind. This includes wind, rain, passing cars, and other noises.
The Sadie versions of Cedar plugs work well but don't come in all the varieties of Cedar that their hardware covers, and can't do as much with those algorithms as a Cambridge etc.. I also not sure when the last time they were updated was....

Philip Perkins
Old 17th August 2009
Gear Addict

Persevere with Izotope RX or Algorithmix Renovator. Both are spectral and have good results, I’d also use a eliptical Oxford EQ cut or try and use a high pass for the bottom. Any cleaner in combination with eq should help. Also try a dynamic plug, to help futher.

Cheers,
KAyo
Old 17th August 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy View Post
The software was also very effective at removing hiss, but a bit less so at removing intermittent body mic crunches.
I've had lots of luck removing such noise with Waves X-Crackle. Was mixing a short yesterday and it brought a lot of cringe-worthy takes back from the grave.

-Dave
Old 19th April 2019
Gear Nut

Any newer plug-ins since the original thread that help remove wind rumble?
Old 19th April 2019
Izotope now has a de-wind module that uses machine learning. Sometimes magic, sometimes useless.
Old 19th April 2019
Lives for gear

Or iZotope, Spectral Editing, you could try vertical mode attenuation on the low end. Sometimes works great.
Always depends on the "kind" of wind/rumble.
Old 19th April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sventeck View Post
Izotope now has a de-wind module that uses machine learning. Sometimes magic, sometimes useless.
It appears the "De-Wind" module is available only on the $800 version of RX:
iZotope RX 7 Features | RX Elements vs RX 7 Standard vs RX 6 Advanced

That's a bit too rich for my budget. I use affordable versions of two other Izotope products and like the ML. Too bad the cost of entry is too high for this one!
Old 29th April 2019
Oop
Gear Addict

Must say, I recently used RX's de-wind on a noisy location recording and was seriously impressed. It was like magic!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search