The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Data Management
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Data Management

or... what the hell do I do with all this stuff.

How do you keep your studio computers clean and ready to work? It just seems like a constant buying of hard drives over here. We also have lots of people working and saving files all over the place. A mess really. We need to work smarter and put in place polices that will help that. Any ideas/suggestions?
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm View Post
or... what the hell do I do with all this stuff.

How do you keep your studio computers clean and ready to work? It just seems like a constant buying of hard drives over here. We also have lots of people working and saving files all over the place. A mess really. We need to work smarter and put in place polices that will help that. Any ideas/suggestions?
Well, it seems like businesses that are as computer dependent as we are end up with IT dept.s, a server system and a backup routine for that system. This is an entire field unto itself thee days, as everyone has this problem in some form or another.

Philip Perkins
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Right...Does anybody use the color coded folders/files in osx to mark things one way or the other? Right now we don't have a set use for the different colors but I'm thinking it would be a good place to start. If you do use them what is your breakdown by color?
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Head

A first step might be some set of naming conventions. Discuss with the others so that you can sit down at someone else's rig and know roughly what's what. Try to use descriptive titles instead of abbrevations-- that sort of thing.
Old 12th September 2007
Over here we use a kind of standard for the whole place...

all projects are located in a project-folder. All those folders start with a project number thats given by the booking/planning soft (in our case is that Studio Suite) followed by a abreviation of the project name... a project folder looks like #6756-MzV-Feature.

We also use the color-coding from the mac-os and it looks like this:

This is a brave start to have those thousands and thousands of folders and files organized.

We do also have a massive server that's used to do daily back-up's from the current projects, and once finished the projects are BU'ed to DVD-R or HD depending on there size. After those final BU's are stored in an oldfashionned archive ... a room full of disks/tapes.

The valuable masters and MO's are stored in a vault...

I know but it's an organisation and almost a fulltime to keep it up...

Kind regards from Belgium

Pedro
Attached Thumbnails
Data Management-picture-6.png  
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Nice. Thanks for showing me that. How do you insure that the backups get everything from the protools session? Do you do a "save copy in..." for the backups? Or does everyone make sure they do "save copy in..." to the projects at the end of each day? or is everyone just that good with disk allocations and sources folders. I also like the idea of each project having a number assigned to it. I wish there was a batch "save copy in..." then I could set up the computer to do them one after the other.
Old 12th September 2007
What concerns the daily BU process we have a nice feature that is called IMsafe. At the start of a project we make a setting in this program that links the original session folder(s) to the BU folder on the server. At the end of the day the engineer hits the make BU knob and done.

At the end of the project we do a 'save session copy in' after cleaning the sessions and that new session will be BU'ed.

Another thing that helps is to have just your work drives flagged R (Record) in protools and the rest as T (for transfer). This way of working assures you that ProTools does not random allocates your files exept on the drive(s) attached to your project. It is often a problem when not using these options that some files got lost on another drive and will not be BU'ed.

Offcourse the engineer has to take note and pay attention to have all there (imported) files located in the dedicated project folder.

There is great document by the The Recording Academy's Producers & Engineers Wing with recomendations about organising PT sessions. You can download a version here.

Pedro
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Question Metadata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro_vde View Post
We also use the color-coding from the mac-os and it looks like this:

If you took one of these color coded folders to another studio or system, would the text label follow the color? Is red still "In production" if I restore one of your sessions on my system? Is the folder still even red on my system?
Old 14th September 2007
I'm afraid not...

We have all our computers separately configured to show the same description... the colours stay although. Even on our Linux BU-server the mac's still see the color codes...

Pedro

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search