The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Surround (4chann) Field recording Condenser Microphones
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Surround (4chann) Field recording

Anyone doing this?
Is there a way to record 4 channels and encode them into 2channels? I thought I read a post here recently about this but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks for any info!
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK7 View Post
Anyone doing this?
Is there a way to record 4 channels and encode them into 2channels? I thought I read a post here recently about this but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks for any info!
Can you define the channels (LCRS or LRLsRs) and also what method you would prefer to use? i.e. DTS, Dolby Digital, Circle Surround (Matrixed) or Dolby Surround (Matrixed).

There are a LOT of ways to do this. I suggest you join the Sursound list. It's Ambisonics heavy, but most people there know alternate methods.

I mean, you could do quad with M/S pointed at each corner...

[email protected]
https://mail.music.vt.edu/mailman/listinfo/sursound
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the link! Jam Sync's website was actually the first place I saw mention of Surround SFX. My wife and I recently made a trip up to Music Row and I noticed your sign. Awesome neighborhood!

I brought the Surround SFX question up because I'm planning on getting a Sound Devices 702 soon but I'm also interested in surround sfx and didn't want to limit myself to 2chann. I have alot more research to do

Do you use a dedicated 5.1 recorder like the Trinov SRP or do you just multitrack?
Is there a standard 5.1 SFX file/encoding format?

Sorry for the newb questions
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the link! Jam Sync's website was actually the first place I saw mention of Surround SFX. My wife and I recently made a trip up to Music Row and I noticed your sign. Awesome neighborhood!

I brought the Surround SFX question up because I'm planning on getting a Sound Devices 702 soon but I'm also interested in surround sfx and didn't want to limit myself to 2chann. I have alot more research to do

Do you use a dedicated 5.1 recorder like the Trinov SRP or do you just multitrack?

You can record 4 chan on the SD 744 or Edirol recorder, that would be L/R/LS/RS or LCR/S. After that you are on to 8 track recorders like Deva or Cantar or a laptop rig. In any case, for 5.1 you'd record only 5 channels (the .1 in 5.1 is for the LFE only). Sanken has a nice mic that does this in one body, other folks use 4 or 5 mic arrays for this.

Philip Perkins
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

OOOPS! Sorry, I missed this one...

Thanks for the very kind words. Unfortunately, our two lovely native hollies died in the 107-degree heat. The entire landscape was extra crispy for two weeks.

What do I use? Depends on the situation. I've been working in surround about 15 years, Dolby Surround early on and later 5.1. JamSync is designed for 7.2 mixing (we were the first post production studio in Nashville custom built for surround).

I've worked with several miking setups and reviewed others.

Go here:

JamSync, Surround Effects, 5.1 FX - 615-320-5050

and check out some of the Mix articles I've written. There's a lot of detail about setups with various machines. (I'm hoping the links are still working. We verified them a few weeks ago).

These days I like my Soundfield MKV plus the SPS451.

5.1 Studio 3U Package (Mark 5+ SPS451)

As for capture, I've used a Lynx Aurora, Prism ADA8, and various PT interfaces over the years. I'm setting up a portable rig with my MacBook Pro and an interface to be determined. I'm leaning towards the Lynx (assuming they've got FW working now) or
a Magma chassis with a small PT Accel system.

I would have the Prism ADA8 updated to FW, but it died and I just spent $500 getting it fixed. I'm thinking that if it dies in the rack in a cool environment, then it's not roadworthy for the kind of work I want to do. The AES boards blew and when I asked them why, they said, "Luck of the draw". I would have understood in a new unit, but not in something that had been working for awhile. It worries me a bit about hooking it up to our switcher now, because if something hurts the AES switcher, my studio goes down for quite awhile!

There's no standard for 5.1 SFX other than common encoding for 5.1 (AC3, MPEG, multichannel WAV). I usually distribute as mono discrete files, *labeled* <g>.

It's a huge area and I'm just glossing over it here. Feel free to ask anything you like and I'll be happy to try to answer.

Definitely give a call if you're in Nashville. I'll be glad to give you the tour. I'm not always there because I'm shooting a docmentary and when I'm gone, my helpers go with me...

Best,

KK

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search