The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PC to Mac Audio file compatability!! DAW Software
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

PC to Mac Audio file compatability!!

I'm feelin realy stupid right now. After a full frantic week of cramming as many on location shoots as possible before our videographer leaves for a week on the West Coast, we realize at the 11th hour that my VOs produced on a PC are not compatable files with his Media 100 on a G4.
Nothing...not wav (various types) mp3...or aiff....nothing opens.
I want to do a test reel for him when he returns to find out what will open.
What files do you recommend I try to include? I am using PC Adobe Audition and Cool Edit Pro2.

Mind is mush..
Willie E.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowillie View Post
I'm feelin realy stupid right now. After a full frantic week of cramming as many on location shoots as possible before our videographer leaves for a week on the West Coast, we realize at the 11th hour that my VOs produced on a PC are not compatable files with his Media 100 on a G4.
What files do you recommend I try to include? I am using PC Adobe Audition and Cool Edit Pro2.

Mind is mush..
Willie E.
Something else is wrong. Wav and AIFF are industry standards. How old is his Media 100? Look in the docs, is it wanting SD II files? (Stupid, if true.) (It certainly doesn't want mp3.) Are you sure of the filetypes of the files you are trying? Do they open on other systems? Are you sure you aren't using a sample rate and bit width that the M100 can't handle? 16 bit 48k is always a good bet.

Philip Perkins
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowillie View Post

Mind is mush..
Willie E.

Join the IMUG list here:

MediaMotion IMUG-List

These are mostly ex-Media 100 users.

My guess is that your best bet would be WAV or AIFF, but not BWF. Have you tried SoundHack? Is he using OS9? Then he may need to massage type and creator until the 100 is happy.

He needs to download SoundHack and look at one of his good files, then at one of yours.

You can also get Mac Drive and format a disk (or disc) in Mac format to see if that helps.

You may want to look at your files and his with Rail Rogut's Header Investigator:

Header Investigator
Old 10th September 2007
Don't laugh at me, but do you have the file type extension accurately added to the name?

.aiff .wav etc...

I've seen stuff not work across platforms just because the file types were not correctly understood by the offending system.

cheers
geo
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search