The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
scsi external disk array - what card to buy?
Old 9th September 2007
Here for the gear

scsi external disk array - what card to buy?

My neighbour who did a lot of video editing recently shut down his company and gave away a load of equipment. I managed to blag an external SCSI Raid array for free. It has 4 x U160 Seagate 36gig 15000RPM HDDs (one of which is broken, which is why he gave it away!). I'd really like to get this thing going so I can use it for my own video work.

He gave me it without any cables etc. It's very basic - just a box with the four drives connected up with a normal scsi cable which leads to an input and output on the outside (both HD68). So I have to buy a controller card, cable and a terminator (and a replacement for the broken drive, at some point). I'd like to use the drives in RAID 0 as a video scratch disk (so, maximum performance possible, will backup elsewhere). Problem is I don't understand what card to buy.

I already stupidly wasted some money buying the wrong card on ebay, an adaptec 64 bit pci-x card that doesn't fit in my motherboard. I'm using a pretty standard consumer M/B, an msi rd480 NEO2. The only MBs with PCI-x seem to be pentium server boards...It has PCI-E slots, can I use one of these and buy a pci-e card? Will a normal PCI card be good enough or will it be too much of a bottleneck on performance?

Also what terminator should I buy, LVD/SE?

Many thanks for reading this far...
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Exclamation PCIe

If its a PCIe slot, buy an ATTO card.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search