The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
compression settings dialogue
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Maniac

compression settings dialogue

Hi all,

Just want to ask opinions on general compression settings. I know what I use generally, but I am just wondering what other people do and what their motivation is.

As for VO, I tend to use really snappy settings with fast attack and decay (let's say about 1ms attack and 25ms release). Mind you, I'm talking the low dynamic range of TV here. I know that attack is pretty fast for the transcients, but in my experience it is still very understandible and it keeps me from too high peaks in my end limiter. Ratio and treshold differs from time to time, using my ears for each individual voice, but I don't often go beyond 2 or 3 in ratio, and I definetely almost never use more than 6 dB gain reduction.

On set/sync subs, I almost use the same starting point, often making the release a little bit longer and playing with ratio and treshold to find out how I can control the dynamics without getting outdoor scenes too 'pumpy'.

However, again I am talking TV here, with a limited dynamic range (and forgetting how some stations compress the hell out of everything before broadcast). To be precise, most TV stuff I have to mix ask maximum peak of -9dBfs to -10.8dBfs. I have very little experience on mixing cinema stuff, so all experience on this field is very welcome.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search