The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
copying volume automation to another parameter in PT DAW Software
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Maniac

copying volume automation to another parameter in PT

Is it possible to copy automation between different parameters?

I want to copy my automation from the channel volume to a trim plugin on the same channel. The reson for this is to free up the volume fader for mixing later.

/regards
benny
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Maniac

which version are you using? Don't forget you can use an extra trim function on the version 7.x.

Copying is just easy. Just select all your volume automation and copy it, then go the view of the other parameter (which you have automated I presume). Just paste it and there you go. Off course the start and end point of your selection have to b 100% identical to your first selection, obviously.
Old 3rd September 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettMorello View Post
which version are you using? Don't forget you can use an extra trim function on the version 7.x.

Copying is just easy. Just select all your volume automation and copy it, then go the view of the other parameter (which you have automated I presume). Just paste it and there you go. Off course the start and end point of your selection have to b 100% identical to your first selection, obviously.
you will have to hold down cntrl + apple + paste...

the trim plug has different resolution to standard volume automation in tools
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks! It works perfect with ctrl+apple+paste!

But whats the deal with different resolution?

Is it a lower kind if resolution on trim?
------------------------------------------------
Im pre mixing dialog for a tv-show. And thought the best workflow
should be to first set independet levels on the dialog by automate the volume
fader.

But whats the deal with automate the "volume fader" in protools?

Shouldnt the workflow look like this?

Ex Dialog:

1. Automation volume - Setting levels for the dialog. (small phrases etc)
2. Trim volume (trimming long sentence for matching within the channel)
2. Overall volume for the channel.

To make this workflow possible in protools you have to make the overall volume on
a AUX-track. And that doesnt make sense to me!!

Everything is based on using the main volume as a default volume. Both in protools and on a controlsurface as a ICON.

How should I setup a (3 part) volume-chain ending up in controlling the main volume from the "track volume fader"?

Using a trim plug seems stupid when it doesnt have the same resolution as the volume fader.

please please help me with this..

/regards
Benny
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Your workflow sounds overly complicated to me. Are you setting it up this way per the request of someone else or are you doing the final mix yourself?
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Maniac

idd a strange workflow, don't even get it entirely.

for dialogue, I usually just follow the volume with my fader (after written my EQ and compression automation), and when I need an extra boost, I just automate the output of my EQ). I do send those tracks to a dialogue bus (where usually my main compressor is), but I rarely touch the volume of that one.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
But whats the deal with automate the "volume fader" in protools?

Shouldnt the workflow look like this?

Ex Dialog:

1. Automation volume - Setting levels for the dialog. (small phrases etc)
2. Trim volume (trimming long sentence for matching within the channel)
2. Overall volume for the channel.

To make this workflow possible in protools you have to make the overall volume on
a AUX-track. And that doesnt make sense to me!!

Everything is based on using the main volume as a default volume. Both in protools and on a controlsurface as a ICON.

How should I setup a (3 part) volume-chain ending up in controlling the main volume from the "track volume fader"?
What you can do is make a pre-mix of the dialog using the regular volume automation, using latch (+write to end) and maybe touch mode and maybe some manual adjustments.

And when the time comes to do the final mix put those channels into latch-trim (+write to end)., for the broad strokes and overal level. I don't get why you'd still need an extra layer besides this.

A neat thing from the latest Pro Tools version is that there is now a seperate trim automation layer. In the preferences 'mixing' tab there options how you'd like this layer to react. I set this to 'manual' which means if you want to merge the trim layer with the normal volume automation you have to select the track and choose 'coalesce' from the track menu. I usually leave this layer unmerged, unless I'd have to open the session up in an earlier version of PT. There's 2 other options, which speak for themselve, if it's not clear look this up in the manual.

Before PT 7.3 the easiest way was indeed either working with auxes, or using trim automation and being careful...
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

There is a trim plug in(+/- 12 db) you can automate on each DX channel. Use that or use the short delay plug in(+/- 24db) and automate the gain on that, and use them to level out from region to region. Then you can use your fader automation to fine tune. You generally won't need to touch your subs unless you need to do some overall balancing.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Charles are you also using v7.3? Because I find with the new trim layer, your method quite a workaround...

But it does mean an extra level layer, so if you really need it Yazoo, that's the way to go. In the automation layer of the trim plugin select the region (doubleclick) and then you can use the trim tool and trim the level per region up or down. (I thought if you hold the command key it goes in fine resolution).
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'm using 7.2 because of issues with Media Station and the Mojo, that I wont get into. I use the gain automation on the short delay plug, like you would use the trim pot on an analog board. I use it because the trim level in 7.2 only gets me +/- 12db of gain, and with a lot of Dx, I find myself needing 16 to 20db of gain to get up to broadcast levels. This way, when I level all my regions, I can use the faders just for fine mixing. You just have to be careful about overloading the plug with hot DX, so I put my EQ before it, and use it's input gain to take down the hot stuff.

Oh, is Control-Apple-paste
control- apple -"V"?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search