The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Surround panning decision
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Maniac

Smile Surround panning decision

Hey,

I'm working on a short student film and I received it as mono (2 tracks).It's all
done on one stereo track dialogue, background even some of the foley. I would like to try and add new elements in surround such as foley, fx and background.

How would should I pan the original (2 tracks mix)? Just out of the C channel or out of all three front channels L C R ?

Also, would you add some surround reverb to the original (2 tracks mix) or would you just leave it dry and?

Thanks,

Maria
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Are the 2 tracks dual mono, or is it a stereo premix?
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Hello Charles, the 2 tracks are in dual mono. I would also be interested to know what would you do if it was a stereo track, if you wouldn't mind.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

OK, For surround mixing, DX is always in the center channel unless it's for a particular effect. Even then I tend to shy away from panning any DX hard Right or Left, because I always find it distracting. So I'll cheat it between the center and side. That, however is another post. So, what I would do in your case is dump one of the tracks, and play the track you have in the center. This means you now need to cut backgrounds for your L,R,Ls,Rs. Foley and most hard effects generally play center, for the same reason the DX plays center. Any stereo effects will have to be cut, and the music mixed in to the front and surrounds. Thats how I would handle it. Oh, you listed foley as a part of your surround mix. Foley is generally mono, and played Center, unless you are trying to create a particular effect. If the tracks were truly a stereo mix down, that would be a whole other can 'o worms.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Were you not able to get an OMF from the editor? You say they already cut BG's and foley, so it would be good to have separate tracks for mixing.

Are you only working with the guide track that was embedded in the Quicktime?

If it is an OMF with only two mono tracks, chances are that it might be two different mics so have a listen and pick the best for each shot. Or, if they sound best played together, then go with it. If it sounds good, it is good.
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Thank you so much for helping me

Yes, it's a QT file with no OMF, there used to be one but the guy erased it of his hard drive :-S

I put the mono mix on the center and add more new sounds in surround. The result sounds good but nothing special.

What do you think i should do if I receive a stereo file should I pan it to all three front speakers(basically feed the stereo signal to the center also)?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search