The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waves C4 Vs Wave Arts MultiDynamics Dynamics Plugins
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Maniac

Waves C4 Vs Wave Arts MultiDynamics

Hey there,

I would like to buy one of these two plug-ins and I was wondering if you guys had experience with them. Which one sounds better to your ears?
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Maniac

Waves C4 is better.
Don't know what else to say.
Old 1st September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plec View Post
Waves C4 is better.
Don't know what else to say.
How about why you think it's better?
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear
Yea, the Waves is better (unfortunately).

But I love the WaveArts Trackplug channel strip plugin. Good eq, great compressor, and the best software gate I have personally used.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

I vote WaveArts.

Philip Perkins
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Guru

I have not used the WaveArts plugin, but C1 and C4 are REALLY REALLY GOOD.

I hate the fact that my Waves boycott prevents me from using them... But oh how I miss them...

Charles Maynes
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Maniac

Thank you so much guys

Both seem like great plug-ins. Waves plug-ins are quality no doubt but I'm still unsure about this. Philip you are the only reason I haven't bought the C4 yet. Did you use both and think WaveArts is the better choice? I trust your professional opinion :-)
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

I use the WaveArts and i like it a lot.

years ago in OS9 i used the C4. sonically, the C4 may be better. but WUP kills it for me.

I am a happy WA user.

as with anything, you really have to work hard to learn how to use it.
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Maniac

Thank you minister :-)
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
I use the WaveArts and i like it a lot.

years ago in OS9 i used the C4. sonically, the C4 may be better. but WUP kills it for me.

I am a happy WA user.

as with anything, you really have to work hard to learn how to use it.
I agree wholeheartedly with all of this!
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

I used to work at another studio that used the C4 all the time. After getting my own rig up and going I had to buy the Wave Arts plugs simply because they were a cheap option. Im so insanely glad I did. I think the Multidynamics sounds much better than the C4. I may be one of the few crazies that thinks this but IMHO wave arts is some of the best plugs for the money you can get, besides Massey of course.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

For the price, the wave arts is a better buy. Sonically, it isn't as nice but not by much.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Has anybody tried the Dynamizer? It's gotten great reviews and looks like a viable alternative to other multiband processors.
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks for your help everybody :-)
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

i've have the C4 and have tried the WA MultiDyn and i found C4 to be more intuitive when just diving straight in. i prefer the interface too. as far as sound goes, i never tried WA long enough though C4 sounds great and the crossover's are phase compensated. i consider the waves gold bundle to be one of the best value for money bundles out there. i'm debating whether to go for the platinum bundle
Old 21st September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Has anybody tried the Dynamizer? It's gotten great reviews and looks like a viable alternative to other multiband processors.
I've been using the Dynamizer daily for about 3 or 4 months on anime dialog. I can't say enough good things about it. I'm loving it.

BUT.... it is not a multiband compressor. It's a single-band compressor (compressing all frequencies together). It's like a multi-stage compressor, compressing the soft parts differently than the loud parts.
Old 21st September 2007
Gear Maniac

another vote for wave arts.. when i was looking for some mastering
software a sales man at sam ash nyc convince me to buy the
wave arts pack, im glad i did they are very skimpy on cpu power
you can put the trackplug plugin on every track so sweat..

Old 26th September 2007
Gear Maniac
I recently went back and forth with both plugs for the better part of two weeks. If you're after clean/vintage options, the WA Dynamics 5 has them, however, the clean settings, relative to the C4, were less transparent. By transparent, I could tell the WA Dynamics 5 plug was being used. I'm using JBL6300 series monitors and was A/Bing both plugs side. The C4 is a little more intuitive as it's close to the DigiDesign plugs (or they're close to the Waves) but the WA plugs are actually quicker to get into once you get use to their workflow.

I ended up going with McDSP MC2000. It compared favorably with the Dynamics 5 and the C4, although it's user interface required a considerably different learning curve, in the end the compressor modeling sealed the deal.

Like the WA plug McDSP doesn't have the WUP.
Old 26th September 2007
Gear Maniac

SONALKSIS CQ1
Old 28th September 2007
Lives for gear

We've discussed this here before, I find c4 to be phasey- smeary sounding. Don't just listen for what it's doing to the dynamics, listen to the overall effect it's having on the signal. LMB is much better but it also has high latency & is processor hungry.
Don't have any experience with the Wave Arts stuff.
Old 29th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensual Ears View Post
SONALKSIS CQ1
I demo'ed this plugin. It's really nice! Is a good de-esser as well

Only with the C4 you can get a little more creative, using it as an EQ as well. The Sonalksis does not have any make up gains per band.

To gain that same functionality you'd maybe need both the Sonalksis CQ1 and the DQ1 and then you'd have even more functionality than with the C4. These plugs do take some time to master though.

I have tried the demo's of the WaveArts plugins in the past and found them to sound a little sterile, but certainly usuable!
Old 9th October 2007
Here for the gear

dollar for dB -> Wave Arts wins hands down. Ive heard Waves at other studios and I dont think there is a vast difference. But even if one is beter than the other. for 500 bucks WA mastering bundle is the way to go. glad i did
B
Old 9th October 2007
Lives for gear

I've had more personal satisfaction from my previous WaveArts purchases. The sonic differences between WA and Waves are minimal and in some cases the advantage goes to WA (noise reduction).

Go WaveArts!
Old 2nd November 2007
Here for the gear

I used much the C4 and now the Multidynamics ...
i prefere Wave arts... more bands, more simple, more intuitive and more obvious. IMO ...
Old 2nd November 2007
Lives for gear

Smile

waves arts got a good denoiser and gate

but at multidynamics i like c4

if any better comes out for less the price i would sale my waves licences but now there is no contender yed for me ! heh

patrick
Old 2nd November 2007
Gear Addict

Old 2nd November 2007
Gear Maniac

I know you are asking particularly about C4 and Wavearts, but Id give McDsp a look, I dont love the C2000 4 band compressor , but I do like the ML4000, It has the compressor adn the limiter, Just an idea.
The C4 is great anyway my vote would go for the waves if its choosing one or the other
Best of luck
Old 3rd November 2007
The way it sounds and the way the control operates the plug in..Waves is much better to me!
Old 12th July 2008
Gear Nut

IQ4gui - Dynamic EQ

platinumears free plugins

I've tried it as a multiband expander. Works just fine.
Old 12th July 2008
Lives for gear

The only reason I use ANY of the waves plug-ins is becasue, as a freelance mixer, no matter what place I go to, they will have the waves bundle.
So, all I need is that and a CEDAR, and I knwo I can mix my dialog and make it sound good.

And the studio can recall the mix later, should they need to do a fix, and i'm not available. They won't have to worry about me having brought in a custom plug-in on my own iLok.

My list of plug-ins are Q10, C4, EQ3, L1 Rcomp, Rveb, Waves De-Esser and then whatever surround verb they have on the computer. Revibe, 360 etc.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search