The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cannopus Issue DAW Software
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Cannopus Issue

Hey there

I am using the ADVC110, well trying to. I am using pro tools LE, quicktime vid inside PT, all is well with the world inside pro tools. Video is perfectly in sync the whole time. Try to send it out the firewire port, and it goes, only its out of sync, delayed by at least several frames. I tried lowering my buffer size to very small to see if it was latency, connected both digital and analog video to the monitor, still no resolve. Is there anything I can do? thank you.
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Head

Have you set the video offset? DV playback generally has a playback latency of 6 to 12 quarter frames. Fortunately, the playback offset will be consistent, so you just have to set the video offset.

Perhaps another Canopus user can provide the exact offset for that device.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Muir View Post
Have you set the video offset? DV playback generally has a playback latency of 6 to 12 quarter frames. Fortunately, the playback offset will be consistent, so you just have to set the video offset.

Ooo, yeah, I was thinking that may be the thing. If I set the offset, it won't effect anything come later? I don't remember having to do that before.
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Maniac

try 22 quarter frames. Should get you close. Get Syncheck to be sure
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisser View Post
try 22 quarter frames. Should get you close. Get Syncheck to be sure
Offsetted the movie by 22 quarter frames and it looks right in the pocket. Thank you ever so much. I am assuming i need to do this everytime then? I don't remember doing this a few years ago, and I don't think audio sync was ever an issue. Does LE have something to do with this and not TDM?
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Nut

" Does LE have something to do with this and not TDM? "

Nope. It's the same in TDM/HD. This is because the Canopus needs a bit time to work on the way.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Ahh, Canopus is a wee bit slow on Z uptake, But I hold nothing against him, he's still ok in my book.

Thanks much for the info, good to know.
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Head

You'll experience some latency with any DV transcoder, this isn't an issue peculiar to the Canopus.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Muir View Post

We're at 12 quarter frames here with PTHD on a G5 2x2, but it used to be greater on a G4.

I made a small movie with a 1-sample click and a 1-frame white flash every second for 10 seconds. I usually just loop that and adjust the offset. Occasionally, I've brought it out and played it when a movie looked out of sync in certain places.

One thing to remember: when you trash prefs, the offset GOES AWAY and gets reset to 0!! It is NOT stored with the session file!!
Old 1st September 2007
Indeed the video delay offset is not stored in your session but in your PT-prefs. It's also a fact that the delay depends from system to system. If you do a playback on a CRT or TFT there is also a difference how those monitors handle the signal... so you have to tweak depending on your setup. (we have 4 setups and they all differ a slight bit)

The only thing you may not forget is to turn it off when bouncing to a QT-movie... otherwise the result is off-sync.

Kind regards from Belgium

Pedro
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
The only thing you may not forget is to turn it off when bouncing to a QT-movie... otherwise the result is off-sync.
Good point, it's got me a few times.

Besides plasmas, what other monitors have a delay?
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Head

I've been at 18 quarter frames here, just goes to show that you should buy a sync check just to be sure...

It will also change depending on the tv/monitor/projector you are using - we have one room with an LCD thats at 18 qf offset, the plasma screens in the big room are at a 35 qf offset.

FWIW

Daren
Old 12th February 2008
Lives for gear

I run my DV out through a Canopus ADVC-100, and I've been trying to track down a little sync quirk that's happening between my rendered audio files and the video editor's system. Using Syncheck II and its supplied test files, I have discovered, to my great surprise (and possibly relief, if this solves the mystery), that there is a 2 frame latency difference between 29.97 and 23.976. Is this normal, expected behavior, or am I off my rocker? Or both?
Old 12th February 2008
Lives for gear

since your TV does not really play 23.976, but, rather Quicktime does the 3:2 pull to get to 29.97 so it can displayed. I wouldn't be surprised if this took a hit on latency.

you always have to check the whole system, codec, frame rate and all...each one can be slightly different.
Old 12th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
you always have to check the whole system, codec, frame rate and all...each one can be slightly different.
Thanks, Tom, I see this now. I naively assumed that after I had checked and adjusted the system once I could shelve the Syncheck. Obviously not true! It will always be right at my side from now on. That way I'll really feel I'm getting my money's worth out of it, too.
Old 12th February 2008
Gear Maniac

16 quarter frames here.
Old 12th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydog_Nixon View Post
16 quarter frames here.
Is it always 16 quarter frames, regardless of the framerate?
Old 13th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is it always 16 quarter frames, regardless of the framerate?
No its different on different frame rates, it changes with different CPU speed, and loads.
It also changes from one play command to the other.

Canopus is not a true professional solution.

I have used it in the past.
Old 13th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
No its different on different frame rates, it changes with different CPU speed, and loads.
It also changes from one play command to the other.

Canopus is not a true professional solution.

I have used it in the past.
I have seen this too. Though in my Syncheck tests I've been able to get consistent results, these are not performed under real world conditions.

What is the true professional solution for broadcasting QT and AVI files in sync onto multiple monitors?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search