The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sopranos audio post production
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Sopranos audio post production

Hi,

I would like to start a topic about the sound of the Sopranos. Being a hughe fan, and off course a free lance audio post guy, I quickly started to focus on their sound (or how much I can on my cheap TV).

It is just my opinion that the sounddesign and the way they mix is a noticable part of the quality of the series and what it made stand out of other series.
And I think it's great to notice that sound can make such an influence. What do I mean?

First of all: the music! Or the no music, to be precise. When you here a song starting, you know the end of the episode is there, no other off screen/soundtrack music. (Just to find the opposite in the last episode: the music stops when the episode stops). The music you do hear, is sync music coming from a radio or something like that out in the scene. The mood gets even better when they kinda play with that idea, what they also do a lot in the last episode. A song is mixed a bit ambiguous in a scene, the viewer is not sure if it is sync music or soundtrack, but suddently the mix shifts and you here it is a car stereo for example.

I think this was a great creative choice. The silence in some intensive scenes just makes them often stronger, instead of other series that trow on way too much bombastic music. Also often very strong audio cuts between scenes (and even just different types of room tones) can make a great suspens.

Just wanted to share my opinion and was curious for others'.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Head

Jason, Todd, and Kevin are all standup guys who really know their craft.

Enough said.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWoZ View Post

Enough said.
So far for exchanging ideas and opinions.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Head

Definitely agree in alot of areas. The way that they choose to mix really helps the way the show comes across.

The HBO execs frequently mention how those guys go above and beyond to really take th show to the next level.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search