The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Foley career path....
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Addict

Foley career path....

My previous post about my rumbling tummy during a foley session not withstanding...how does one develop a career as a foley artist?

I've found it to be one of the most challenging (and fun) parts of the post production process. Is it still possible to specialize this day and age or does everyone just do everything themselves? Those of you who work in post houses, do you contract for foley work? Have an in house artist? Just do it yourselves?

How does the foley world work? Do you apprentice? Do people just fall into it from other post roles? Any dedicated foley artists or people in the know on here wanna shed some light?
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

usually post studios have a foley record room. \\
well some of them. depends on the type of post.

i guess like any other job in a studio you need to practice and get small jobs 1st and have an idea how to do it. most of the time its regular samoo things. "hands pass" and diffrent body movements, feet on difrent surfaces and have great timing so it sounds as real as posible.

sometimes small studios will need a replacement for a foley artist who needs a vacation or something and u can do some work and get more experience.
or replace someone altogether who doesnt want to do it anymore.
start as a intern in a post house and always talk or bring up the notion that u like being a foley artist.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

I woudl say, lcation is everything.
If you're in a market with a small post community, then ry and get a smuch experience there s you an.
Then start looking at moving to a larger market.

Where are you?
Old 26th August 2007
Can one engineer ones own foley sessions?

Is it a move to "the other side of the glass" to become a foley artist?

Does the person engineering become the defato foley producer? Or is it a team effort?

I am sure there are many was (to make the sound) of skinning a cat, but I am just curious.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Can one engineer ones own foley sessions?

Is it a move to "the other side of the glass" to become a foley artist?

Does the person engineering become the defato foley producer? Or is it a team effort?

I am sure there are many was (to make the sound) of skinning a cat, but I am just curious.
In my experience it is very much a team effort.
A good foley engineer with a bad recordist is as bad as a good engineer with a bad foey artist.

The foley artists I know started on the fole side, and never have recorded it themselves.
I have come to the realisation that the foley team we have at the studio I worked at in Vancouver is abolutely world class, and it makes mixing a show much less work when it's done right.
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Addict

I've engineered my own sessions for very small demos and projects....but it doesn't really work very well. Yesterday's work was my first experience working with a full team. It made it so much more enjoyable to have good direction and not have to worry about the technical side.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

I think most Foley artists work their way up through the ranks at a post house with a stage. In my opinion that's really the best way to do it. That way you get a feel for the process from day to day work. You will learn a lot by watching a good team. From there it's a matter of a ton of practice(hopefully on the stage during down time). You not only need to be creative but you must have excellent timing. If you are a musician it will make the timing part a bit easier. Once you prove yourself as an intern you will likely get a shot of doing some actual work on a low budget project. From there it's up to your skills and work ethic.

Quote:
A good foley engineer with a bad recordist is as bad as a good engineer with a bad foey artist.
Henchman said it well. As for recording yourself, it is done, but it's generally not good. As a recordist this idea bothers me but I understand it. The process is really a collaborative effort with both the Foley artist and recordist sharing ideas and techniques. When the team has a good synergy it can be a very fun, creative, and rewarding process. When the team is a mess it a slow PAINFUL process.

Darn I miss recording Foley. Oh well, such is life. dropblacksky, apply yourself and have fun and let life take you were it may. Good luck
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Foley artists are a very guarded and protective bunch. I've even seen foley artists who will 'barricade' themselves in so no one else can see what props they are using to get certain sounds!

They know they have got it made with the rates they can command and will guard their positions with their lives.

Not saying it's not a skill but it ain't rocket science either.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by santacore View Post
Darn I miss recording Foley. Oh well, such is life. dropblacksky, apply yourself and have fun and let life take you were it may. Good luck
What are you doing these days?
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Henchman, currently about 80% of my work is mixing reality tv shows. The other 20% is V/O and ADR recording. Regretfully I haven't touched a feature in over a year. Funny how life changes before you realize it. In this business I find that you do what you have to do to stay busy. That path is not always what you planned on.

By the way Henchman, did you end up getting a position down here? It seems like I read in one of the threads that you have moved or are ready to move. Either way, I wish you the best.

Last edited by santacore; 27th August 2007 at 02:24 AM.. Reason: more comments
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Usually there is a "Lead" foley artist, and a "second". The lead artist is the one with great sinc and sound sense and is teaching the second. It's an apprenticeship type thing. At least thats how it use to be when I was recording and editing foley 15 years ago. It is truly a collaborative art. The walkers rely on the recording engineer to make sure it sounds right through the speakers, and sometimes even if it appropriate for the scene.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by santacore View Post
By the way Henchman, did you end up getting a position down here? It seems like I read in one of the threads that you have moved or are ready to move. Either way, I wish you the best.
Nothing guaranteed perse. But definitely some things that warrant a permanent move.
I'll know more in the next week or so.
Old 27th August 2007
Motown legend

There is definitely a major talent factor.

It's utterly amazing how fast the real pros can work.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search