The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sound Design? Help!
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Sound Design? Help!

I want cinematic-esque mechanical noises... I am talking HEAVY metal clanking, concrete structures collapsing, enormous gears turning and several ton weighing motors whining. the kinds of sounds they use for giant robots decimating cities, the sounds that eminate from the joints of mechanical beasts.. I want it all and I want it right now...

how the christ does one find these noises?!?! do you make them from scratch? what!! I have been looking forever.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Get yourself a crisp condenser mic or stereo pair. A Roland R1 is a cool, silent, portable recorder. Get together some piles of stuff - paper clips, nuts & bolts, nails, sand, kitchen tools etc. Record yourself messing around with this stuff.

Then, play it back at different speeds - with a sampler, or Melodyne or DAW pitch shifter with time-stretch and formant-shift disabled.

That should give you all the royalty-free sounds you need. Too much fun to not do.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

I need sounds like... ok a good example is, Listen to NIN- Reptile. the huge lurching robotic sound is the kind of industrial thing I am after.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Guru

As sound design goes, that stuff in "Reptile" is pretty tame -- sounds like it came straight from Sound Ideas 6000. A pile driver plus a layer of some sort of slowed-down conveyor belt. Making your own is definitely better and more fun, but if you have clients breathing down your neck you can probably find what you need at sounddogs.com. Good luck!
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
As sound design goes, that stuff in "Reptile" is pretty tame -- sounds like it came straight from Sound Ideas 6000. A pile driver plus a layer of some sort of slowed-down conveyor belt. Making your own is definitely better and more fun, but if you have clients breathing down your neck you can probably find what you need at sounddogs.com. Good luck!
Hi Brent,

I was just over in your neck of the woods at Wildwoods, yesterday.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Hi Brent,

I was just over in your neck of the woods at Wildwoods, yesterday.
Yep, just down the hill. And walkable to Poquito Mas -- a major plus!
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Everything I record is just for my own uses =) so I dont have any clients to worry about, haha. Thanks for the help! what is a good program to help me manipulate samples that I make myself? such as slowing stuff down, etc..
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

KBurger, I can't find the R1 but I have found the R09 - Edirol R09 from zZounds.com!

Does the R1 have built in mics as well?? thats pretty cool!! I think this could work great for me, I work at a manufacturing plant, how perfect for industrial sounds right? haha
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkEcho View Post
Everything I record is just for my own uses =) so I dont have any clients to worry about, haha. Thanks for the help! what is a good program to help me manipulate samples that I make myself? such as slowing stuff down, etc..
Most of this stuff can be handled by the bog-standard feature set of any DAW. Beyond the basic stuff, the Waves plugs, GRM Tools, Delay Dots and a lot of the stuff you can find on smartelectronix.com :: free and donationware music plugins are good places to look for sound design plugs.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
this could possibly have been one of the most important posts i've ever read... hahah

This is exactly what I've been looking for.

Sound Ideas The Works Sound Effects

I just hope it has lots of sounds like camera shutters and robotic servos.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Addict

If you don't need a lot, get a Sound Dogs acct and buy some of the sounds individually. They carry a lot of the Sound Ideas stuff on their site, and I'd hate to see you blow $500 on a set if you could spend $40 on Sound Dogs and get everything you need.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
what is a good program to help me manipulate samples that I make myself? such as slowing stuff down, etc..
If your DAW supports virtual instruments and MIDI, and you have a MIDI interface and keyboard, a sampler such as Kontakt 2 will give you much greater creative control over sample mangling and stacking than the audio tracks of the DAW. But if you haven't used samplers before, this can open up a very large can of worms!
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

I have a roland fantom x7, and my laptop can use it as midi via USB... maybe I will look into kontakt, what kind of stuff can you do to samples via kontakt?

"The Works" looks sooo good though..

I think it would be a good investment because sometimes I could have sounds I dont know I need until later.. and having so many sounds might be really nice for a vairety of songs under the industrial embrella
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have a roland fantom x7, and my laptop can use it as midi via USB... maybe I will look into kontakt, what kind of stuff can you do to samples via kontakt?

"The Works" looks sooo good though..

I think it would be a good investment because sometimes I could have sounds I dont know I need until later.. and having so many sounds might be really nice for a vairety of songs under the industrial embrella
I'm sure the X7 has great tools for creating cool sounds out of raw materials, as does Kontakt 2. The great advantages to a software sampler are the visual interface, which makes editing much faster and easier, and the ease of moving audio files between your DAW and sampler.

The bottom line with sound effects collections is that they can never, ever be large enough!
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Addict

I don't know, man....using a sample library is kinda lame. I mean, if it's commercial work with deadlines and the like, then of course, but for your own music? Get one of the many hand held recorders out there and start collecting and manipulating your own sounds...build your own library. Here's a short piece I did that's comprised of about 75% samples collected just walking around a building and recording random things. I can't remember now what that industrial sounding kick sound was originally, but it definitely wasn't a huge industrial machine. Manipulation is a good thing, and once you get into it, you'll feel a lot more satisfied that you created and designed your own sounds. Just have fun and be creative!
Attached Files

release.mp3 (3.12 MB, 125 views)

Old 28th August 2007
Gear Addict

If possible, don't forget to record at the highest sample rate possible... this will allow you to record more simple events and have further manipulation possibilities without suffering as many artifacts from slowing.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

what is a good sample rate to shoot for?
Old 29th August 2007
Quote:
what is a good sample rate to shoot for?
96khz or analog then convert
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

hmm I wonder what the samples in "The Works" were recorded at..
Old 10th July 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Langer View Post
Hi there,

if you are looking for metal sounds - check this out:

www.boomlibrary.com

I hope that I do not get a warning for this "ad" in here.
I can't imagine why using a 3-year-old post as an excuse for a commercial promotion would get you a warning.
Old 11th July 2010
Lives for gear

I'm putting the finishing touches on this.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search