The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
any commercial/post engineers in PHX looking for a studio???
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Addict

any commercial/post engineers in PHX looking for a studio???

I'm about 95% done with the studio.... it's top notch and I built it for post and music. I'm going to start looking for an engineer to work the spot freelance for commercial work in the next few months. I would like to see this place booked open to close everyday (( who wouldnt)).

I just don't konw that many... non teenage hip hop mogul/producer/engineers. Most of the people I run into don't know a thing about audio post.

I've got some pics from a few months back up at virb.com/famousarmy and the actual site is www.famousarmy.com

running HD2, canopus adc 110 out to lcd. Mac intel quad 3.0 4gb ram. 500 gb audio drive and 500 gb video drive. good vocal mics. plenty o plugs. fx and music library's coming after I go to AES in October. 5.1 surround bluesky system one and avantones to check the mix on real world stuff. good pre's blah blah blah.

just throwing this out there to test the waters.
Old 22nd August 2007
That's a beautiful room. I wish you the best in getting started!
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Kudos for function and style!thumbsup
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Great looking room Chris. I really like the style. That painting is cool.

Do you already have the System One in place and have you mixed on them yet? I was looking at those for my studio as well.

Best of luck with everything!

Steve
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Pretty room. You've probably already dealt with this, but where do the video monitors go? Where's the center speaker for 5.1? I realize that you shot the pix with a wide angle lens, but the client couch seems a bit far back to me: if you had rear surround speakers going they'd be right in front of them. Also, in audio post the clients are usually following a script, writing notes and working their laptops all the time, so a table and chairs might be a better bet for that work than the couch--nothing a temporary arrangement of those things wouldn't fix, so you could go back to a music/couch sort of set up easily. To find audio post freelancers locally you might try to get info from local film festivals about who did the audio post on films done in your area. I don't think you'll have trouble finding people who want to work in your room, but finding people who can bring clients with them is another story. Will you be doing marketing that reflects the audio post field? Do you have experience in this area yourself?

Philip Perkins

PS: Big ups for Blue Sky products and support from me.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsjr View Post
Great looking room Chris. I really like the style. That painting is cool.

Do you already have the System One in place and have you mixed on them yet? I was looking at those for my studio as well.

Best of luck with everything!

Steve
Thanks for the kind words.

There are up and running. I love'em. The BMC directions are a bit tricky at first and calibration is pretty simple. I can honestly say that they don't sound amazing ( and the shouldn't).... but they translate very well to a real world mix and they don't wear me out after hours of use.
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
Pretty room. You've probably already dealt with this, but where do the video monitors go? Where's the center speaker for 5.1? I realize that you shot the pix with a wide angle lens, but the client couch seems a bit far back to me: if you had rear surround speakers going they'd be right in front of them. Also, in audio post the clients are usually following a script, writing notes and working their laptops all the time, so a table and chairs might be a better bet for that work than the couch--nothing a temporary arrangement of those things wouldn't fix, so you could go back to a music/couch sort of set up easily. To find audio post freelancers locally you might try to get info from local film festivals about who did the audio post on films done in your area. I don't think you'll have trouble finding people who want to work in your room, but finding people who can bring clients with them is another story. Will you be doing marketing that reflects the audio post field? Do you have experience in this area yourself?

Philip Perkins

PS: Big ups for Blue Sky products and support from me.
Good advice on the couch vs. table issue. I had already thought of that, but wasn't sure what to do yet. The couch is not as far back as you think. The rears are just in front of the couch when set up properly, but if i put a table there and some chairs they should be just behind them.

I got rid of those problem child - JBL LSR's for the Blue Sky's. The Apple displays are on floating arms so they moved over and the center channel is between them and the r+L on either side. The new LCD panel hangs directly above the center channel from the ceiling. Looks pretty freakin sweet I must say.

That's a good idea to hit up the local film festival. I know we have 2 each year and they have a pretty decent turn out.

Thanks everyone for the big-ups. Everyone is always so cool on this board.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search